Record cleaning - what's your method?

It's been two years, and I finally kicked my concentrate of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme. I, like many on here, had issues with the growth happening. This time around, I'm gonna only make one squeeze bottle at a time to try to prevent that from happening.

It's been two years, and I finally kicked my concentrate of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme. I, like many on here, had issues with the growth happening. This time around, I'm gonna only make one squeeze bottle at a time to try to prevent that from happening.

This has worked for me. I have a couple of graduated cylinders that I use to make ~130mL of the stuff at a time, which is enough to clean twenty or so records. Have not had any issues with growth since the fluid never sits around long enough to develop any.

Just spent way too much money on a 2 oz. concentrate bottle of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme and a 12 pack of Aquafina water bottles. My wife was like "We have water bottles!"

They're store brand. Cuhmahhhnn.

Welp, the last 2 oz. concentrate lasted me literally two years and I ended up tossing a bunch because it grew funky mold. So, I'd say the investment is solid.

Just spent way too much money on a 2 oz. concentrate bottle of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme and a 12 pack of Aquafina water bottles. My wife was like "We have water bottles!"

They're store brand. Cuhmahhhnn.

Welp, the last 2 oz. concentrate lasted me literally two years and I ended up tossing a bunch because it grew funky mold. So, I'd say the investment is solid.
Still can't recommend this bottle for the solution enough ;)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBMSJZ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Damn you @AnthonyI and Todd the Vinyl Junkie for making me do math on a Thursday morning.

Items used:
- TTVJAudio Vinyl-Zyme Record Cleaner 2 oz. Concentrate [Link]
- 7-pack Plastic Condiment Squeeze Bottles from Amazon [Link]
- Pack of Aquafina Purified Water bottles from Walmart [Link]

So, to eliminate the risk of having my TTVJ/H2O mixture get all gunked up, I only want to mix one of these 16 oz. squirt bottles at a time to have on-hand for cleaning with my Squeaky Clean RCM.

From the TTVJ website:
Mix 2 oz. Vinyl Zyme concentrate with 1 gallon of water for a gallon of Extra Strength Vinyl Zyme cleaner (recommended for first-time cleans or really dirty records)
OR
Mix 1/2 oz. Vinyl Zyme concentrate with 1 gallon of water for a gallon of Regular Strength Vinyl Zyme cleaner (recommended for general maintenance cleans)

In case you guys have similar stuff, I've done the math for you assuming a 16 oz. spray bottle:
  • Extra Strength - 16 oz. water + .25 fl. oz. (1½ teaspoons) Vinyl Zyme concentrate
  • Regular Strength - 16 oz. water + .0625 fl. oz. (3/8 teaspoons) Vinyl Zyme concentrate
  • Somewhere in between those two for easier measurements - 16 oz. water + (anywhere between 1/2 to 1 full teaspoon) Vinyl Zyme Concentrate

Damn you @AnthonyI and Todd the Vinyl Junkie for making me do math on a Thursday morning.

Items used:
- TTVJAudio Vinyl-Zyme Record Cleaner 2 oz. Concentrate [Link]
- 7-pack Plastic Condiment Squeeze Bottles from Amazon [Link]
- Pack of Aquafina Purified Water bottles from Walmart [Link]

So, to eliminate the risk of having my TTVJ/H2O mixture get all gunked up, I only want to mix one of these 16 oz. squirt bottles at a time to have on-hand for cleaning with my Squeaky Clean RCM.

From the TTVJ website:
Mix 2 oz. Vinyl Zyme concentrate with 1 gallon of water for a gallon of Extra Strength Vinyl Zyme cleaner (recommended for first-time cleans or really dirty records)
OR
Mix 1/2 oz. Vinyl Zyme concentrate with 1 gallon of water for a gallon of Regular Strength Vinyl Zyme cleaner (recommended for general maintenance cleans)

In case you guys have similar stuff, I've done the math for you assuming a 16 oz. spray bottle:
  • Extra Strength - 16 oz. water + .25 fl. oz. (1½ teaspoons) Vinyl Zyme concentrate
  • Regular Strength - 16 oz. water + .0625 fl. oz. (3/8 teaspoons) Vinyl Zyme concentrate
  • Somewhere in between those two for easier measurements - 16 oz. water + (anywhere between 1/2 to 1 full teaspoon) Vinyl Zyme Concentrate

When I run out I'm going to probably buy that fancy gallon bottle and make an extra strength.

New tools, new cleaning method.
Finally set up and tested my Pro-ject VC-S Alu. I've only listened to one album so far, but the Pro-ject Wash It fluid appears to have worked well. Only minor complaint is that with the label cover it doesn't get into the very very end of the run out grooves, so the last bit of dead wax is just a touch louder than I'm used to, but it doesn't impact the music in any way. I'm glad the pro-ject fluid appears to working well. It will be nice to being to not have to worry about growth and light exposure if this continues to hold up well. We'll see how it does once I get some older, rougher records into the mix. I've only done new ones so far. The machine looks nice, feels well built, and is easy to operate. I do like the label cover and lack of a full platter, that's easily my favorite parts of this design.

New process:
- Strap the record in, start it spinning clockwise, drop some fluid on (but not to much because it will drip everywhere, including the outer grooves of the underside)
- Use the provided brush to spread the fluid. I start with a normal sweep to spread it out, then go against the grain for a couple rotations while agitating the fluid, helping things to get nice and bubbly.
- Let it sit for a minute or so (usually long enough to scan it into discogs or get a new sleeve out)
- Vacuum up, usually 3-4 rotations in each direction.
- Flip/repeat
- Re-sleeve and carry on

It's exactly as easy as I'd hoped for. Keep your eyes peeled for a squeaky clean vinyl to hit the BST trade here in the semi near future.

Well, I did a thing. At the price offered, I couldn’t resist.

This cleaning fluid concentrate has some good buzz. Made in Ukraine, it has no alcohol. They have a dealer in California, and dealers in the U.K. and France from what I can tell.

One bottle of fluid is $50. It makes one gallon of cleaning solution. The California dealer is offering a buy one get one free deal at $25 total with free shipping. So 2 gallons of solution for $25. I couldn’t say no.

So @Rowan, @Selaws and myself have just got Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU's via a UK eBay deal! Quick question - is there anyway you can clean 7"'s without getting the other wand? No big deal if you can't, just wondered if there was a work around.

Back