Record cleaning - what's your method?

I was finding that the gap between the nozzle and the clamp was leaving a small ring, but it doesn't take long to dry. I've been batch cleaning, so I let the record sit on a rack to dry for a couple of minutes to let it air dry.

So far, so good. I'm 50 records in and no major complaints. I think my platter is a little wobbly, but the vacuum is doing what it should. It does make a good job cleaning the records, definitely better than my Spin Clean.

My plan is to smash out all of my 12' records over the next couple of months, then have a think about my singles. I'll see if I can work some kind of cover, but I don't want something that will scratch the wand.

I think I do have an issue unfortunamely - The spindle doesn’t appear to be straight unsure if I can adjust it withan Allen key - Any records look like they are massively warped when they are rotated at a slight angle with is affecting the vacuum.

I think I do have an issue unfortunamely - The spindle doesn’t appear to be straight unsure if I can adjust it withan Allen key - Any records look like they are massively warped when they are rotated at a slight angle with is affecting the vacuum.
My spindle definitely has a wee wobble, but I'm getting full vacuum coverage, so I'm happy to live with it. Hope you can get yours sorted.

Mmm am I being nitpicky, it quite a wobble and it makes a slight grinding sound as it turns... wish I could post a video on here.

Mines the same. I think the wobble might be a purposeful thing, I have seen too many people (in reviews as well) mention it for it to be an accident each time.
You could be right. I'd hate to think that this is a massive QC issue. That being said, while waiting for my replacement, I continued use the VC-S2. The machine eventually developed a pretty audible grinding noise every time the platter completed a full revolution. My conclusion was that the spindle was wobbly enough to rub against the housing which caused the motor to work a little bit harder to get through the friction. With a replacement coming, I wasn't going to try and confirm it by taking the machine apart.

When my replacement arrived, the difference was night and day. The clamp is level, motor is reasonably quiet and the vacuum performs an even and complete pattern across the radius of the record. I honestly don't think my expectation were unreasonable for a $699.00 RCM. I'm tickled pink that the replacement is performing so well.

Mmm am I being nitpicky, it quite a wobble and it makes a slight grinding sound as it turns... wish I could post a video on here.

Might be worth reaching out to Peter Tyson. My first one was DOA. They had a replacement with me the next day.

And I find that i sometimes have a bit of fluid left on the run in groove (is that a thing?) and a ring around the dead wax. I just leave it on the platter a minute or so after cleaning and it buggers off.

Occasionally if I've been a bit heavy handed with the cleaner I manage to soak the felt pads on the vacuum.

Might be worth reaching out to Peter Tyson. My first one was DOA. They had a replacement with me the next day.

And I find that i sometimes have a bit of fluid left on the run in groove (is that a thing?) and a ring around the dead wax. I just leave it on the platter a minute or so after cleaning and it buggers off.

Occasionally if I've been a bit heavy handed with the cleaner I manage to soak the felt pads on the vacuum.

Yeah I think the method most people use to avoid a wet dead space it avoid putting cleaner on it if u can. But a wipe is easiest method i reckon.

Ive sent Peter Tyson an email.

Yeah I think the method most people use to avoid a wet dead space it avoid putting cleaner on it if u can. But a wipe is easiest method i reckon.

Ive sent Peter Tyson an email.

That's theoretically my method. But I'm more about theory than application when it comes to record cleaning

Anyone considered methods for adapting arm to use for 45s I have a decent sizzled box of em needing a clean. Wondered if wrapping thearm not covered by vinyl in cling film Might be a good method ? Quick and simple and acuple of wraps around should make it nice n airtight
My previous RCM was the Squeaky Clean, which came with plastic covers for the arm tube to cover the gap on 7s and 10s. Tried them with the VC-S2 and it works great. He sells a set for under $40 that includes these. I wonder if you email him if you could get just the tube pieces.

Ha ok- First ever you tube post. So fascinating

Just adding to everyone else here but that looks bad to me. Mine isnt like that at all. To try and describe mine, the platter/clamp feels ever so slightly 'loose' (I can wobble it a few mm) but as soon as I clamp a record and it rotates it is completely flat, certainly doesn't make the record look warped the way yours does in that video.

Just adding to everyone else here but that looks bad to me. Mine isnt like that at all. To try and describe mine, the platter/clamp feels ever so slightly 'loose' (I can wobble it a few mm) but as soon as I clamp a record and it rotates it is completely flat, certainly doesn't make the record look warped the way yours does in that video.
Thanks
well in fairness to them, I emailed and they replied quickly and perfectly, just told me to box it up and it will be collected by DPD tomorrow whilst they give me a replacement.
So all good.

Has anyone tried this - i had a thought about keeping original printed paper sleeves but without adding to bulk of packaging with additional polys. So bought these and pleaded inside- Appears to work fine and pretty cheap too.image.jpg
Yeah so those inners on the left fit fine inside any sleeve

Has anyone tried this - i had a thought about keeping original printed paper sleeves but without adding to bulk of packaging with additional polys. So bought these and pleaded inside- Appears to work fine and pretty cheap too.View attachment 69294
Yeah so those inners on the left fit fine inside any sleeve

Yeah I’ve done exactly that from the start! Works perfectly! Those for printed inners and the spin city ones as a complete swap out for paper inners!

Back