Recommend Me an Album from 2019

Is that the guy from 13 Reasons Why???? I'm listening now but just saw a pic of the band.
Yup! I didn’t know it was him until after I listened to it a few times. It made me like it a little bit less after knowing that because I have negative associations of actors in bands via 30 Seconds to Mars. Although, the guy from 13RW is nowhere near as famous and the album still holds up. I think it sounds like something that would have been released in 2010 in the indie rock realm. Totally fits that light guitar rock vibe.

Yup! I didn’t know it was him until after I listened to it a few times. It made me like it a little bit less after knowing that because I have negative associations of actors in bands via 30 Seconds to Mars. Although, the guy from 13RW is nowhere near as famous and the album still holds up. I think it sounds like something that would have been released in 2010 in the indie rock realm. Totally fits that light guitar rock vibe.
Yes! As I was listening to it, I was trying to figure out which of the many indie bands I saw at SXSW it reminded me of. All of them it seems.

I really liked the drums on Treacherous Doctor. I think Remember When and I Can were my faves on the album.

This year has been insanely good for local artist releases here in Austin. There has been quite a bit of buzz about the Black Pumas record. I mentioned the Moving Panoramas album earlier in this thread. Here is another one that I've been pimping pretty hard for the past few weeks. Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison's "Beautiful Lie" just came out a couple of weeks ago. A short but sweet classic country duets record. This is their 3rd or 4th duets album, and they are all fantastic. Both are great songwriters, with Bruce in particular being legendary in country circles. The magic with these albums though are the obscure covers they mix in. I know this genre isn't one that everyone appreciates, but, if you're gonna try to find an entry point into country, this is a really good album to try. None of that Nashville pop stuff here. The song 'Lost My Best' features a heartbreakingly awesome vocal from Kelly.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. I was worried this was an idea that wouldn't really take and clearly I was mistaken! I'm really happy people have been recommending so many albums for me to check out (even if it is a bit daunting 😅). By no means do I want the recommendations to stop but with my listening habits / schedule it will likely take me a while to get through all of the albums on the list at the moment, so be aware that I will listen to every album recommended - it just might take me a bit to get to it! I don't want to dismiss anything that has been recommended and give everything a fair shake even if it's not really my usual go-to music. I'm currently keeping a list that I update with every new post in here to keep things more organized and to ensure nothing gets lost in the shuffle. I will try to make a post giving my thoughts on the first five or six that were recommended in the next few days and go from there. But again, I appreciate everyone helping me expand my 2019 music library!

Ohtis is a great (formerly) local band that put out their first record in about a decade earlier this year and it is amazing. The lead singer Sam had quite a tough battle with addiction and is very open about it in his songwriting. The music sounds a bit like Paul Simon if he were from the heartland as apposed to NYC.

Last edited:
tbh i never even read the first post! what sort of music do you actually like?
it's honestly a bit hard to say because my music taste is all over the place. I've tried to nail down what generally appeals to me in the past but I really am unsure how to answer this, but i'll try, since this is probably info that others will find useful as well.

however, I feel like it's worth noting that, as I stated before, there's no telling what I'll end up liking. I guess I fear that if I specify too much, people will be less willing to recommend stuff and I'll potentially miss out on a fantastic album that doesn't line up with my typical tastes. Anyone who has ever been in the JQBX room with me know I have very little rhyme or reason to what I play, and I feel like that's just how I am with music in general.

These criteria(?) all have exceptions, keep in mind, but these are three qualities I usually look for in albums a lot of the time
1. I love catchy hooks and production, so if an album is full of that, it usually leads me to enjoying the album more.
2. If it's loud, noisy and obnoxious, I'll probably like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. I like diversity, in the sense that albums that sound the same all the way through tend to bore me unless the artists are really doing something good with it. A variation of tone and genre experimentation throughout are big factors that pull me in.

it's honestly a bit hard to say because my music taste is all over the place. I've tried to nail down what generally appeals to me in the past but I really am unsure how to answer this, but i'll try, since this is probably info that others will find useful as well.

however, I feel like it's worth noting that, as I stated before, there's no telling what I'll end up liking. I guess I fear that if I specify too much, people will be less willing to recommend stuff and I'll potentially miss out on a fantastic album that doesn't line up with my typical tastes. Anyone who has ever been in the JQBX room with me know I have very little rhyme or reason to what I play, and I feel like that's just how I am with music in general.

These criteria(?) all have exceptions, keep in mind, but these are three qualities I usually look for in albums a lot of the time
1. I love catchy hooks and production, so if an album is full of that, it usually leads me to enjoying the album more.
2. If it's loud, noisy and obnoxious, I'll probably like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3. I like diversity, in the sense that albums that sound the same all the way through tend to bore me unless the artists are really doing something good with it. A variation of tone and genre experimentation throughout are big factors that pull me in.

Based on this i’m recommending three albums from Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Now I Got Worry, Orange, and Acme

Yeah, but the title of the thread is "Recommend Me an Album from 2019". While I am a big fan JSBX. all of these albums are over 20 years old.

clearly did i not just not read the first post, but i also didn't read the thread title :p

i would recommend avoiding both the new raconteurs and black keys records

have you heard mannequin pussy?

clearly did i not just not read the first post, but i also didn't read the thread title :p

i would recommend avoiding both the new raconteurs and black keys records

have you heard mannequin pussy?
Of all the albums in 2019, I've heard that Black Keys album and boy is it a snoozefest

I downloaded the Mannequin Pussy album to my Spotify a while back when I saw @duke86fan first praising but still have never gotten around to it, but it's on my list

Back