PopTarts Unite!

*cracks knuckles*

I listened again a few more times. I actually kind of like this. What is it you don't enjoy?
this track is great. lizzo is everything. if you don't follow her on ig/twitter, get on it bc she's dumb as hell in the best way. i LOVE her album too. it's all great, but soulmate, like a girl, and tempo are *chef's kiss*. obviously juice too.

IT'S HERE!!!!

it's SO GOOD. some of the singles were a little bit worrying as standalone tracks (i enjoyed all of them, but they took longer than usual to grow on me. i'm a pre CMM CRJ stan and loved kiss and the EP before it (which has the BEST version of curiosity). if you're not familiar with that mix:

but anyway, everything usually clicks into place really fast. some of the dedicated tracks took longer before there was a full set of them. the album is very cohesive (with the exception of I'll Be Your Girl, maybe) and it shines as a unit.

Yeah, EMOTION is one of the best pop albums in years of all time.
fixed your typo for you!

Dearest Carly Slay -

I want to apologize on behalf of the N&G forum. We doubted you. We had the audacity to question whether Dedicated could live up to the mastery of Emotion. We were wrong to do that.

We will never doubt you again.

Humbly yours,
Teeeee

In all seriousness, I spent a good amount of time with Dedicated this weekend. And it clicked. It is SICK!!! So so so so good.
it's absolutely a worse album than EMOTION (because literally everything is), but it is very, very good. i am not at all disappointed in it.

coming back for more bc too much media:

This absolute banger from last year also needs more love:

kim is THE BEST. she's so dumb (re: the way lizzo is, as mentioned above) and incredibly smart at what she does. i saw her open for troye last year, and i'm seeing her on her headlining club tour this summer. she's....so good. perfectly crafted pop. i love that she's getting so much bigger bc there aren't enough supported trans artists, and her representation (though imperfect) is sorely needed in the industry. pop music, especially the strain of pop that isn't super mainstream supported, has gotten a lot more inclusive in recent years, but traditional Big Successful Radio Pop is still very Thin White (or light skinned) Cis Traditionally Pretty. i'm always happy to see it veer from that.

if you're not an ultimate kim stan like i am, may i draw your attention to the following:

the live vocals in this

- she got paris in this incredible video because she's a huge paris stan and basically DM spammed her to get the song in front of her, to which paris was like "cute" and agreed to do this. now they're buds and it's great.

she has a TON of unreleased jams, of which this is my FAVORITE. why is this such a banger?

she dropped this surprise halloween EP and got elvira on it and it's ...untouchable. this isn't the exact version so go stream it on your preferred streaming app rn pls and thanx. woo ah!

ALSO:

from this great interview (one of many currently out for album promo):
Meanwhile, retaining some of that 70s influence is Everything He Needs, an old school devotional that, in 2019, should be unfashionable, but is in fact pure brilliance. “It's an interpolation of a Shelley Duvall song He Needs Me from the 1980 Popeye movie,” Carly explains. “The boys who I was writing it with, CJ Baran and Ben Romans, even though we're all writers and musicians in our own right, we all share a common theme: we're all total musical theatre nerds. So we got into this conversation about how cool it would be if we could reinvent some of these songs from musicals into a way that people could digest it in pop culture. We fell upon the creepy beauty and simplicity of the hook from He Needs Me and tried to funk it up.”

The problem came when trying to clear the sample with Disney, although Carly did call in the big guns to help. “I went to Disneyland and I made a fake contract that said, 'He Needs Me'. Then I went in line with Mickey Mouse, made the guy sign it and then I sent it to all the Disney publishing people and was like, 'The big boss said it was okay!'” she laughs. “Somehow, a week before the album was meant to be turned in, we got approval.”
my true queen mixing my only two loves: showtunes and pop!

some nice little bedroom pop by a artist who got fairly viral last year (might be an industry plant but hey the musics ok)

she can probably be a good artist in the vein of snail mail or something similar but with a more poppier indie rock sound

ALSO:

from this great interview (one of many currently out for album promo):

my true queen mixing my only two loves: showtunes and pop!

Best song on the album, which I have pretty the same opinion of as you. I am a sucker for chipmunk vocal hooks and love the original, one of the many great songs written by Harry Nilsson.

some nice little bedroom pop by a artist who got fairly viral last year (might be an industry plant but hey the musics ok)

she can probably be a good artist in the vein of snail mail or something similar but with a more poppier indie rock sound

She's with Chance the Rapper's management, isn't she?

Any of you looking forward to the new Rina Sawayama album? Should be dropping later this year / early 2020.
Looks like it's being mostly produced by the god Clarence Clarity, who dropped one of the best pop records of last year and before that released one of the best pop records of the decade.

Encourage you guys to try this out if you're interested in glitch pop with immaculate production

It's legit a crime how overlooked Clarence is. Even though I was a little let down by Think: Peace (I honestly prefered a lot of the earlier versions of the songs and the material he cut to the final album), he's still one of the most unbelievably talented producers and is one of the few that can find the sweet spot in experimental pop where it doesn't feel too tame but also doesn't feel too impenetrable. No Now would probably be a contender for my top ten for the decade.

Also, there was this: Screenshot_20190526-151845.png
Which, of course, has me excited :giggle:

He said the new album is gonna be medieval themed, titled "MIDIeval Europe" (pun intended), so it should be cool at least.
Did you listen to the little instrumental things he put with the CD that came with his latest merch drop? Some weird stuff on there:
I didn't get in on the last round of merch but I have quite a few CDs that came with previous shirts / hoodies I bought! Nothing big, mostly just non-album singles burned onto a CD he put in as a thank you for buying the merch.
My friend told me about the CD that came with it but she didn't have any way of ripping it to share so thank you for the link!! I'm excited to hear it now. And I hadn't heard that about the medieval themed album but that definitely sounds like Clarence lol.

Reactions: oak
Not quite sure where to post this but there's a lot of CRJ talk in here so here goes

Does it bother the living hell out of anyone else that the two Target-exclusive / Japanese bonus tracks from Emotion ("Never Get to Hold You" and "Love Again") aren't on Spotify or really available anywhere? I know they were exclusive tracks to entice people to get it from a specific retailer upon release, but it's been a few years and that edition is long out of stock anyway. I don't see any harm in making them available digitally, especially since they're two really incredible songs that a lot of people probably still haven't heard

Not quite sure where to post this but there's a lot of CRJ talk in here so here goes

Does it bother the living hell out of anyone else that the two Target-exclusive / Japanese bonus tracks from Emotion ("Never Get to Hold You" and "Love Again") aren't on Spotify or really available anywhere? I know they were exclusive tracks to entice people to get it from a specific retailer upon release, but it's been a few years and that edition is long out of stock anyway. I don't see any harm in making them available digitally, especially since they're two really incredible songs that a lot of people probably still haven't heard
I’ve never really listened to CRJ. Obviously I heard Call Me Maybe and saw a bunch of lip sync videos for it, but I never listened to anything else by her. Like you, I did see a lot of talk about her on here as well. I just popped over to YouTube and cued up some tracks off of Emotion.

It’s good! Like, really good. I know y’all were all aware of this already. But still, it’s really good. I guess I have to pick up her records now. My wife is gonna laugh at me. 😆

I’ve never really listened to CRJ. Obviously I heard Call Me Maybe and saw a bunch of lip sync videos for it, but I never listened to anything else by her. Like you, I did see a lot of talk about her on here as well. I just popped over to YouTube and cued up some tracks off of Emotion.

It’s good! Like, really good. I know y’all were all aware of this already. But still, it’s really good. I guess I have to pick up her records now. My wife is gonna laugh at me. 😆
Oh god, you're in for a treat. I wish I could hear some of those songs again for the first time! Emotion is probably her magnum opus for most, and I'd have a hard time disagreeing, but the follow-up EP, Emotion: Side B, packs just as much punch as the album proper! Also her new album that just dropped a week or so ago, Dedicated, is crazy good as well. It's a much more relaxed, less bombastic listen than Emotion, but it's about everything I could have wanted from a next album from her.

But yeah, if you can snag a copy of Emotion on vinyl, I highly recommend it. My copy sounds phenomenal! I honestly was surprised at how dynamic it sounded when I first played it. It's already a fantastically produced record, but it really comes alive on wax imo.

Queen of breaking Metacritic user score records

they’re....available.....just not streaming (which i’ll admit is less convenient). just like cut to the feeling was available like a year before it officially dropped. japanese versions usually have bonus tracks bc their cost is super high over there? so it’s supposed to incentivize that specific population to purchase an album, but ya i agree it’s whack. the whole concept of bonus tracks in general is whack to me. just release the whole album bc we’re treating it as such anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back