PopTarts Unite!

I suppose this as good a place as anyway to drop this

Idk if this already on peoples' radars, but this is a collab album between Labrinth, Sia & Diplo that dropped back in April. I personally really, really like it a lot, way more than I expected to. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's a really fun and ear-catching project that I think some of y'all might get a kick out of.

I suppose this as good a place as anyway to drop this

Idk if this already on peoples' radars, but this is a collab album between Labrinth, Sia & Diplo that dropped back in April. I personally really, really like it a lot, way more than I expected to. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's a really fun and ear-catching project that I think some of y'all might get a kick out of.

Here's the link to the vinyl:

Here's the link to the vinyl:
I remember wondering if / hoping there'd be a vinyl release... but it's really bittersweet at the moment, because I can't afford to be buying records right now 😔 especially not $30 ones... which is kind of ridiculous, considering that the album itself is only 30 minutes long.

But thank you for the link! Maybe when times aren't so tough if it's still around I'll get it.

I remember wondering if / hoping there'd be a vinyl release... but it's really bittersweet at the moment, because I can't afford to be buying records right now 😔 especially not $30 ones... which is kind of ridiculous, considering that the album itself is only 30 minutes long.

But thank you for the link! Maybe when times aren't so tough if it's still around I'll get it.

Sold out anyway....

Grumpy mcprumperson. ;) I was hoping you'd give reasons for not enjoying these 2 iconic women's most recent output.

Sure.
Tbh, my main problem with the two new songs by Taylor is that they sound so... I'm trying not use the word "happy", but... Ok, there's going to be something BIG lost in translation here, but I'll try. She sounds like a kindergarden teacher. Those two songs sound like something that a kindergarden teacher wrote for a new play for her 5 years old students.
[DISCLAIMER: I have no fucking clue how are the kindergarden teacher in your countries, but here in Argentina it's like the stereotype of a woman in her 20s-30s, very happy, always in the good mood, full of energy and good vibe, always looking at the bright side of stuff]
This is not the Taylor Swift I like, tbh. I mean, one song is ok. I like "Shake it off" in the middle of 1989. "This is why we can't have nice things" is like a nice joke. But it's only one song. This is the second song, and it comes with this VERY past aesthetic that I don't like at all.

About Madonna.
Gee, I don't know, I feel like in Eurovision again, when people were talking about how good the Duncan Laurence's song is, and I don't hear it at all, it's a bland boring AF ballad that could write James Morrison and never record because even he thinks it's bland.
Anyway, Madonna. The reviews are saying "this is the weirdest thing she's ever done", and I'm like WTF, what's weird here? There's "Dark ballet", ok, yes, it's an unusual song that doesn't work for me. It's weird, but it's trying too hard to be weird and that's where it fails. "God control" is the other song that I miiiiight call "weird" but it's meh. The other song with Maluma was absolutely not necessary. "Looking for mercy" is her worst song since "Mother and father". "I don't search I find", I can get the appeal of this one because it sounds like old school Madonna, but I don't enjoy it. "Killers who are partying" is mediocre, and please let's not talk about the lyrics.
The only two songs I like are "Crave" and "Faz gostoso". So 2 two songs out of 15, it's Hard Candy/MDNA era again for me.

A little disgression about Madame X: This is a HUGE missed oportunity for her, I think. She wanted to sound global and inspired by Portugal? Ok, that's a great idea. She's even singing in Portuguese in a couple of songs! So why didn't she invited Portuguese people to duet with her instead of Quavo and Maluma and Swae Lee??????

Sure.
Tbh, my main problem with the two new songs by Taylor is that they sound so... I'm trying not use the word "happy", but... Ok, there's going to be something BIG lost in translation here, but I'll try. She sounds like a kindergarden teacher. Those two songs sound like something that a kindergarden teacher wrote for a new play for her 5 years old students.
[DISCLAIMER: I have no fucking clue how are the kindergarden teacher in your countries, but here in Argentina it's like the stereotype of a woman in her 20s-30s, very happy, always in the good mood, full of energy and good vibe, always looking at the bright side of stuff]
This is not the Taylor Swift I like, tbh. I mean, one song is ok. I like "Shake it off" in the middle of 1989. "This is why we can't have nice things" is like a nice joke. But it's only one song. This is the second song, and it comes with this VERY past aesthetic that I don't like at all.

About Madonna.
Gee, I don't know, I feel like in Eurovision again, when people were talking about how good the Duncan Laurence's song is, and I don't hear it at all, it's a bland boring AF ballad that could write James Morrison and never record because even he thinks it's bland.
Anyway, Madonna. The reviews are saying "this is the weirdest thing she's ever done", and I'm like WTF, what's weird here? There's "Dark ballet", ok, yes, it's an unusual song that doesn't work for me. It's weird, but it's trying too hard to be weird and that's where it fails. "God control" is the other song that I miiiiight call "weird" but it's meh. The other song with Maluma was absolutely not necessary. "Looking for mercy" is her worst song since "Mother and father". "I don't search I find", I can get the appeal of this one because it sounds like old school Madonna, but I don't enjoy it. "Killers who are partying" is mediocre, and please let's not talk about the lyrics.
The only two songs I like are "Crave" and "Faz gostoso". So 2 two songs out of 15, it's Hard Candy/MDNA era again for me.

A little disgression about Madame X: This is a HUGE missed oportunity for her, I think. She wanted to sound global and inspired by Portugal? Ok, that's a great idea. She's even singing in Portuguese in a couple of songs! So why didn't she invited Portuguese people to duet with her instead of Quavo and Maluma and Swae Lee??????
There it is! You are actually really really good at giving reasons for liking/don't liking things and so I was curious.

I get what you're saying about Taylor. She seems happy and comfortable with herself. And seems to have settled into her groove and just doesn't give a poo what others think. And if that is true, I am happy for her. And I like the music. But I can see how the overly rose-tinted glasses approach of these 2 songs could be grating. I'm personally thankful that she is speaking out about LGBTQ rights and is doubling down with that in her most recent song.

I haven't honestly listened to a Madonna album since Music so I can't really comment on her new album. I did read a review of it that said it was a return to form. I'm not sure I'll ever find out. Madonna is a legacy artist for me. I LOVE her old stuff but I'm not sure I'll ever seek out her new stuff.

I did see Eurovision. Her performance was odd. I liked some of it but overall, no. It was like she was trying to hard to stay relevant. Which is interesting because yes, people need to adapt to stay relevant. But at what point does 60 year old Madonna need to stop trying to act like she is 20 year old Madonna? But I contend the time has come and gone. She can't sing or dance like she used to. And that is not an insult. She is 60 and in amazing shape! It's like she is in denial that she is 60.

I get what you're saying about Taylor. She seems happy and comfortable with herself. And seems to have settled into her groove and just doesn't give a poo what others think. And if that is true, I am happy for her. And I like the music. But I can see how the overly rose-tinted glasses approach of these 2 songs could be grating. I'm personally thankful that she is speaking out about LGBTQ rights and is doubling down with that in her most recent song.

I agree with you, I hope she's in a happy place now in her life; I'm not saying that I want artists to be sad and depressed to make good music, but truth is that there are some singers that when they're in their happy place, their music is huge pile of smelly turds (yes Alanis, I'm talking about you). So in those moments I would actually prefer them to take their time, to enjoy the happiness and wait til they HAVE something to say. Making happy music just because you're happy doesn't always work for me.

I haven't honestly listened to a Madonna album since Music so I can't really comment on her new album. I did read a review of it that said it was a return to form. I'm not sure I'll ever find out. Madonna is a legacy artist for me. I LOVE her old stuff but I'm not sure I'll ever seek out her new stuff.

I did see Eurovision. Her performance was odd. I liked some of it but overall, no. It was like she was trying to hard to stay relevant. Which is interesting because yes, people need to adapt to stay relevant. But at what point does 60 year old Madonna need to stop trying to act like she is 20 year old Madonna? But I contend the time has come and gone. She can't sing or dance like she used to. And that is not an insult. She is 60 and in amazing shape! It's like she is in denial that she is 60.

Yeah, I don't know what's the problem with Madonna. Because she's in a place where she's not a product of the multinational music company; she's in charge, she decides what she will do and what she won't. And she decides to do... this. Whatever the heck this is. You can be 60 and still do some amazing music: Cher, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Marianne Faithfull, Barbra Streisand. But no, Madonna wants to be in the Nicky Minaj league.
And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY. There's one song, "Killers who are partying", which should be interesting because "it's a song with Mirwais and it's a political song"... And look, here's what she has to say:

I will be gay, if the gay are burned
I'll be Africa, if Africa is shut down
I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated
And I'll be a child, if the children are exploited
I'll be Islam, if Islam is hated
I'll be Israel, if they're incarcerated
I'll be Native Indian, if the Indian has been taken
I'll be a woman, if she's raped and her heart is breaking

She ran out of ideas and now she's just overthinking stuff to say to sound relevant. Instead she sounds pathetic. And the music is not helping either. It is exactly what happened with Marilyn Manson after The Golden Age Of Grothesque: he just doesn't know what else to do to be relevant, but there's no way in hell he (or Madonna) is going to step back and relax and look for real, genuine inspiration.

I agree with you, I hope she's in a happy place now in her life; I'm not saying that I want artists to be sad and depressed to make good music, but truth is that there are some singers that when they're in their happy place, their music is huge pile of smelly turds (yes Alanis, I'm talking about you). So in those moments I would actually prefer them to take their time, to enjoy the happiness and wait til they HAVE something to say. Making happy music just because you're happy doesn't always work for me.

Yeah, I don't know what's the problem with Madonna. Because she's in a place where she's not a product of the multinational music company; she's in charge, she decides what she will do and what she won't. And she decides to do... this. Whatever the heck this is. You can be 60 and still do some amazing music: Cher, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Marianne Faithfull, Barbra Streisand. But no, Madonna wants to be in the Nicky Minaj league.
And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY. There's one song, "Killers who are partying", which should be interesting because "it's a song with Mirwais and it's a political song"... And look, here's what she has to say:

I will be gay, if the gay are burned
I'll be Africa, if Africa is shut down
I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated
And I'll be a child, if the children are exploited
I'll be Islam, if Islam is hated
I'll be Israel, if they're incarcerated
I'll be Native Indian, if the Indian has been taken
I'll be a woman, if she's raped and her heart is breaking

She ran out of ideas and now she's just overthinking stuff to say to sound relevant. Instead she sounds pathetic. And the music is not helping either. It is exactly what happened with Marilyn Manson after The Golden Age Of Grothesque: he just doesn't know what else to do to be relevant, but there's no way in hell he (or Madonna) is going to step back and relax and look for real, genuine inspiration.
Yes, totally agree about Madonna. She keeps trying to make pop for 20 somethings. She needs to mature her sound. And those lyrics are pretty bad. But.... I love Beyonce and one of her lyrics is her literally saying "surf board" for no reason. Lol.

I have a hard time with tracks like this. On the one hand, the hook from Soul II Soul's Back to Life is sick and sounds great, but on the other hand it's the only thing I like about this song. It feels like they're just riding the wave of the catchiness of another song... Like, it's hardly a sample if it's your actual chorus... It's just theft.

C’mon guys, this Madonna talk is kinda ageist, she is free to make whatever music she pleases, be it for toddlers or pensioners. Saying that she has to mature her sound because of her age doesn’t sit right, and anyway Madame X is one of her more ‘mature’ efforts to date, maybe not lyrically (she’s never been the best at political lyricism) but definitely musically. Yes, there are trap beats scattered through the album but you’d be wrong to say they sound like any recent popular hits.

@Teeeee - If your only experience with this era is her performance of Future at Eurovision I can understand why you’d call it trendchasing, it’s by far the worst song here seeing as Quavo’s feature just seems tagged on for streams.

@Waitressboy - It’s interesting you say Mother and Father was her worst song before Looking For Mercy. I bloody love American Life, personally it’s my favourite Madonna album and I can see why people are thinking of Madame X as it’s spiritual successor, I felt that had a similar unconventional feeling that this album has too with it’s cold electro beats mixed with the organic guitars and orchestration. Just replace the bleep-bloop electronics with trap beats and you’ve got Madame X. Crave is a good example of this and one of her best singles in ages.

I have a hard time with tracks like this. On the one hand, the hook from Soul II Soul's Back to Life is sick and sounds great, but on the other hand it's the only thing I like about this song. It feels like they're just riding the wave of the catchiness of another song... Like, it's hardly a sample if it's your actual chorus... It's just theft.

It's kinda all over the place, isn't it? I don't know what they were going for with this video, at all. It isn't a cover either. Odd.

C’mon guys, this Madonna talk is kinda ageist, she is free to make whatever music she pleases, be it for toddlers or pensioners. Saying that she has to mature her sound because of her age doesn’t sit right, and anyway Madame X is one of her more ‘mature’ efforts to date, maybe not lyrically (she’s never been the best at political lyricism) but definitely musically. Yes, there are trap beats scattered through the album but you’d be wrong to say they sound like any recent popular hits.

@Teeeee - If your only experience with this era is her performance of Future at Eurovision I can understand why you’d call it trendchasing, it’s by far the worst song here seeing as Quavo’s feature just seems tagged on for streams.

@Waitressboy - It’s interesting you say Mother and Father was her worst song before Looking For Mercy. I bloody love American Life, personally it’s my favourite Madonna album and I can see why people are thinking of Madame X as it’s spiritual successor, I felt that had a similar unconventional feeling that this album has too with it’s cold electro beats mixed with the organic guitars and orchestration. Just replace the bleep-bloop electronics with trap beats and you’ve got Madame X. Crave is a good example of this and one of her best singles in ages.
Aw, yeah, I can see how what I was trying to convey but poorly could come across as ageist. I didn't intend that at all. Quite the opposite. I can only aspire to be where Madonna is when I reach 60.

You telling me Future is the worst song on the album and Quavo's feature seems tagged on kind of proves my point too? She knows it isn't the best song. So why was it chosen to perform at Eurovision? Because she could parade out Quavo along with her.

Back