October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 17: The Simpsons Saturday
Spin an album by an artist featured on TV’s longest running animated sitcom (bonus points if you include a video clip of their appearance)

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

*Gently taps my avatar* My avi is a Simpsons/Prince/internet reference which means it is and always has been perfect for this website. Sorry every other N&G member, the perfect avi is taken and will never change. This image appears at 01:57 of Simpsons S7:E2 Radioactive Man during a montage of internet nerds after Comic Book Guys checks alt.nerd.obsessive to find out who's starring in the Radioactive Man movie. The Simpsons is easily the greatest TV show of all time and this is not up for debate.

But Prince never actually appeared on the show. There was a lost Prince episode that we'll never get. So we just threw something together with vampires The Rolling Stones. Enjoy!

IMG_20201023_134914 (1).jpg

Day 18: 120 Minutes
Spin something that would make Matt Pinfield proud

Pavement - Wowee Zowee

Without MTV and 120 Minutes we never get Wowee Zowee. Even the slightest additional attention from a minor hit in Cut Your Hair caused Malkmus to freak out and reject any type of mainstream fame. The result is this weirdo, out there, scatterbrain album. And we're all the better for it.

IMG_20201023_144412.jpg

Last edited:
Day 23: Record Store Find
Show off an album you discovered at your neighborhood record shop
Guided By Voices - Jellyfish Reflector
D69FBC23-9744-4294-8943-FCCAA17B5FE9.jpeg
Sometimes you head to the record store with a plan or a list but sometimes (I would argue the best times) you go to the store just to hunt, hoping to snag a trophy. That is what happened here, I was just thumbing through the stacks and BAM some live GBV quasi Bootleg appears and I was happier pick up that random find than I was a good chunk of the preorders I receive by mail. Support your Local Record Store!

Day 19: I Miss Concerts
Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

Here's a picture of me at a Dismemberment Plan show in 2013 during The Ice of Boston, where they usually bring the audience up while performing.

dplan_ng.jpg

IMG_20201023_171238.jpg

This is from my closest record store, Finders Keepers. It's three blocks from my place. He doesn't have new stuff, it's a vintage clothing store with a bunch of vinyl. He gets some really rare stuff, and it's always priced accordingly, maybe even a bit high. But my last trip there a couple weeks ago, he had a bunch of his more common stuff priced super reasonably...like he's trying to move some records. I was happy to grab a copy of this for seven bucks, and it's VG+!

20201023_174900.jpg

Carlos Maria Trindade / Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu

One of the most interesting new age/ambient finds I've ever picked at random. A side of elegant, opulent, and classy pieces featuring copious amounts of nylon guitar. The other side showcasing a more tribal, organic, and mysterious ambiance with vibraphone and flugelhorn. So wonderous and lovely. It stands out notably from the other items in my ambient/minimal/new age/drone cube.
I miss Musique Plastique so much 😭

16034898717475126052154268814149.jpg

Loma - Loma

A few years ago, my wife and I went to see Shearwater, and a band I'd never heard, Cross Record, opened for them. They made spectral, haunting music, so I was curious when I later heard that Jonathan Mieburg of Shearwater and the two members of Cross Record had formed a new group called Loma. I meant to check it out, and then it kind of slipped through the cracks, but then I came across this album in the sale bin at my local record store and picked it up even though I hadn't heard it- it was money well spent.

Thay have a brand new one out this weekend, too, called Don't Shy Away.

20201023_144354.jpg

Day 23 - Record store find

My wife and I went to a wedding in the Duluth area a couple years back. We got to Duluth a day early just to explore, and while my wife made the decision to rest after the long-ass drive, I decided to check out the Electric Fetus in town since I knew the one in Twin Cities was great.

I walked in as they putting this out in the new arrivals - this is an OG Tomato, VG+ all around, for 40 bucks. Felt like I hit the lottery.

95FA5437-3F63-4631-BE16-17B3C600FBF2.jpeg

The Replacements - The Sire Years

DF8AB2F7-182B-4B7F-B302-CA2C52B466AD.jpeg

I just went with the last thing I bought from my local store, which was just the other day. I used to get The Replacements mixed up with The Rembrandts until the movie Can’t Hardly Wait came out and I bought that amazing soundtrack. I had recently realized that I didn’t have a single Replacements record so I went to the store and found this unopened box for a decent price. Near future plans include going back for that Twin Tone Years set, which was sitting right next to this guy

Playing catch-up today...

Day 21: 8 Bit Action

I played the hell out of the first game on PS2 - I sucked at it and didn't get very far, but loved every minute of it.

Various ‎– Katamari Damacy - Original Video Game Soundtrack
Mondo ‎– MOND-123, 2004/2018

Green & Purple Swirl / Red & White Swirl variant - limited to 3000

Pressed at GZ

dJUr85.jpg

CeagU5.jpg

Day 24: Oktoberfest!

Moses Boyd - Dark Matter (Exodus Records, 2020 Dinked Edition, No.429/500)

I haven't played this in a while and forgot just how fantastic it is. Certainly a record that you want to play loud!!! I didn't have any fancy beers in, so I will stick with a bud.

IMG_4155.JPG

A little catch-up from yesterday....

Day 23 - Record Store Find

Various Artists "Pulp Fusion Vol. 1" (1997 Harmless Records; original 3xLP pressing)

I wasn't sure what to chose for this challenge. I ended up going with this used LP I picked-up at a now-defunct local in Montreal around 2000. I chose this because it ended up informing my musical exploration and tastes for several years. I got into funk, collected 45s, got into new funk, branched out into african funk and got in deep for a good decade. I also ended up picking up the rest of the Pulp Fusion LPs as they were released (I'm unfortunately still missing Vol. 2). This series is where I first discovered Booker T & The MG's, Mandrill, The Blackbyrds, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, 70s Pointer Sisters, Betty Davis, Willie Bobo, Donald Byrd, Fatback Band, Rusty Bryant, Charles Wright, Larry Young, Archie Schepp and the funkier side of Herbie Hancock.

IMG_0946.JPG

Day 24: Oktoberfest! - Wunderbar! Spin something that pair well with a beer (bonus points if you show off your beer with with your record)

The Black Keys - The Big Come Up

This album is great for sitting aroung a firepit on a fall evening drinking some beer.

No record stores in my town, so I every time I go visit my mother I drop by the record store there. I've known the owner for almost 30 years and he always has something I don't know and I might like.
This time around he suggested me this album, knowing I like Nils Frahm.
He was right once again.
It's lovely.

F83E8DC7-E722-4639-B435-B42EAA9291BC.jpeg

Back