October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 22: That’s....interesting
Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different (a 10”, a Picture disc, die cut, GITD, etc...)
Air - Sexy Boy 10” Picture Disc
View attachment 71368
Air had a pretty good streak of releasing som fun RSD exclusives; this one is a good example. It is the only die cut picture disc in my collection and was dish warped AF when I purchased it (It sat under a heavy stack of books for about 6 months and is now thankfully playable). I rarely listen to this but for it being a picture disc it doesn’t sound half bad. The music video for “Sexy Boy” (featuring the stuffed chimp) was my introduction to the group and as such it has a soft spot in my heart.

Oh FFS! I was just going to post this when I scrolled back...
656B640B-2ED3-49C0-B9C7-C28BA65EDEC0.jpeg

Back to the drawing board...

Day 22: That’s....interesting
Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different (a 10”, a Picture disc, die cut, GITD, etc...)

Jack White - Lazaretto

"Ultra LP" release featuring several special features:
- Tracks A6 and B7 are untitled, hidden tracks printed on the A-side (runs at 78 RPM) and B-side (runs at 45 RPM) labels, respectively.
- Side A plays from the inside out.
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” (B1) depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record.
- Both sides end with locked grooves.
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format.
- Dead wax area on side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record.

4339B684-515B-47AD-AF3D-0A044E64B681.jpeg

Day 22 - That’s...interesting

Frank Ocean’s Endless is split across 2LPs. Why is that interesting, you ask? Well, there’s only one side of music per LP, and then a fairly underwhelming silk screen on side 2 of each disc. I’m cool with Frank doing something unusual, but let’s hope this isn’t a trend that catches on in the future.

C01D7566-28EA-4F0C-8D82-DABBFB934B01.jpeg7BC45CEC-1E25-4F16-BAF7-C81457DD5949.jpeg

Day 23: Record Store Find - Show off an album you discovered at your neighborhood record shop

Luther Allison - Bad News is Coming

I didn't get lucky enough to find this record in a record store, but my exposure to and obsession with Luther Allison started in one. I was visiting a record store next door to the venue I was about to watch a concert at and heard Little Red Rooster play over the speakers. It immediately caught my ear and I loved it and had to know what it was. I went to the counter and asked what they were playing and they told me the title of some blues comp and that the song was titled Little Red Rooster. I wasn't super familiar with the blues at the time so I added Little Red Rooster to a note to look up later. What I didn't realize is that there are many versions of that song out there. So I listened to all of the songs that popped up first in a search and none of them were as electric and captivating as the one I heard in the record store. Eventually I stumbled across Luther Allison's version and was super excited to find it was the version I had heard in the record store. I immediately started listening to the album that the song was on and fell in love with that too. When I decided I needed to own it on vinyl I was disappointed to find that it was hard to find the album in good shape and was pretty expensive when you did. After looking for months (I know, not too long) I found one in great condition pop up on Discogs from a brick and mortar record store at a price I was willing to pay and pulled the trigger. The record was in great shape and this is one of my all time favorite albums to this day.

Day 23: Record Store Find

Queen - Greatest Hits (Балкантон, 1984 First West Germany Pressing)

I really like today's challenge and decided to share a few bits from my travels. I make a point of trying to buy a record from an independent shop in each country I visit (although in some cases it's not been possible) and here are a few that came to mind. The one I am currently listening to, 'Queen - Greatest Hits', was bought in Germany in 2016 at the fantastic Platten Pedro Records (along with Zappa/Beefheart/Mothers - Bongo Fury). Although it shares its name with the official release, this one has a revised track-listing and alternative artwork. While I was digging it out I also found this Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother, which I picked up at one of the stalls at Marché au Puces de St-Ouen, Paris in 2012. On a side note, I have also 'upgraded' the paper insert to a record card and have been filling one out for each release that I have played for the past few months. I love the tangibility and stories behind records and this has been a good way to add to the experience.

IMG_4085.JPG

Day 23 record store find
Grover Washington Paradise
ECD5F1C1-D957-4D87-B651-D42B90CCE419.jpeg
My local record store was a in dusty Philly row house basement packed with stacks of records in no particular order for 5 for 20 bucks. Its gone when I first started collecting I would bring 20 buck on payday with an hour or two to kill and dive in. Probably 2/3rds of them have more crackling then a fire place. A few months before my mother in law passed she stopped in and grabbed me some for my birthday. I was a little surprised that she even went in there, it was definitely slumming for her lol. This was one of the ones she picked for me so I’ll spin it and pour some out for her since I’m off work and day drinking.

Last edited:
Catch up day

Day 16: Side Hustle
Spin something by an artist’s side project

Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen

Jeremy Enigk made this very good, somewhat strange baroque pop record after Sunny Day Real Estate's first breakup. I find Enigk to be one of the only examples of a musician getting better after finding religion..

IMG_20201022_180607.jpg

Back