October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 22: That’s....interesting

Not only is this a Hexagonal shape - the jacket is one of the most frustrating ever made. I do not store the record inside.

Gil Mellé ‎– The Andromeda Strain (Original Electronic Soundtrack)
Jackpot Records/Kapp Records ‎– JPR 044, 1971/2017

#RSD17 - limited to 1500

Cut by Richard Simpson
Pressed at RTI

13RmSW.jpg

0Y4YDw.jpg

Not only is this a Hexagonal shape - the jacket is one of the most frustrating ever made. I do not store the record inside.

Gil Mellé ‎– The Andromeda Strain (Original Electronic Soundtrack)
Jackpot Records/Kapp Records ‎– JPR 044, 1971/2017

#RSD17 - limited to 1500

Cut by Richard Simpson
Pressed at RTI

13RmSW.jpg

0Y4YDw.jpg

I also just figured out how to get it the back to the way it was when released in the shrink...

20201024_121307 (2).jpg

Day 23: Record Store Find

The owner of my now-closed local store gave this one to me on BFRSD17 - even though the actual release day was the next day.
He asked me if I knew the band and when I said no, he handed it to me and told his wife not to charge me for it.

I'm gonna miss that store.

As for the record - I like it...and I'm not one for live albums.

Dawes ‎– We’re All Gonna Live
HUB Records ‎– HUB008-1, 2017

2017 Small Business Saturday release. Limited edition of 2,000.

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at Pallas

yxTvq5.jpg

EHRqEL.jpg

Day 24: Oktoberfest!

Can't spin records and drink beer without listening to some FEAR.

Fear ‎– More Beer
Atom Age Industries/Fear Records ‎– AALP001, 1985/2016

2 LP reissue with rough mixes and early versions
Red vinyl limited to 500 - copies were also available signed...like this one.

Pressed at Vinyl Record Pressing

wOWaGi.jpg

ZcEoLS.jpg

Cheers.
iPoiQm.jpg

Day 23 - Oktoberfest!

Tom Waits "Franks Wild Years" (1987 Island, European pressing)

I chose this for two reasons: (1) I actually purchased this LP in Bavaria, at a small record shop in the windy streets of Regensburg in 2006; and (2) Tom Waits always sings about drinking. Also, the record is awesome and has the best TV theme song ever.

I drink a thousand shipwrecks
Tonight I steal your paychecks
I paint the sheets across my bed
The birds will all fly from my head
And in the morning I'll be gone
-from "I'll Be Gone"

IMG_0948.JPG

I'm pairing this German-inspired brew with it, which I got from my local Oktoberfest-in-a-box (a pretty cool initiative because of, you know, 2020). The beer is actually quite good. Cheers!

IMG_0949.JPG

Last edited:
Day 23 - Oktoberfest

Timely topic - my local gives out beer for RSD, so here’s what I picked up today along with the local Great Dane brew I grabbed (this is actually one of wife’s favorite’s so I’m giving it to her and drinking a New Belgium Trippel).

0B0D286D-9CC9-42E6-B89D-E51B6456E55C.jpeg

Day 22 - That's Interesting

20201007_180541.jpg

Dua Lipa - Grammys For Your Consideration Flexidisc

My grammy loving ass buys the for your consideration issue of billboard magazine every year. This year Dua Lipa decided to do something really different with it and included a flexi disc that includes two of her songs off "Future Nostalgia". Because of that, gaga being on the other cover and a low print run, I had to pay over $100 dollars for this. I only somewhat regret it

Day 23 - Record Store Find

20201024_202703.jpg

The Glitterhouse - Color Blind

Back in 2015 Jupiter Records opened up right around the corner from my house and this was one of the first albums i got there. I was intrigued by the cover so I said fuck it a picked it up. Sadly they announced they will be closing at the end of the year :( damn covid ruining everything I love

Wunderbar! Spin something that pairs well with a beer. Prost! (bonus points if you show off your beer with with your record)
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
Paired w/ Space Rex Hazy IPA from Fremont Brewery
32D87867-BFA0-44CF-8348-21ACB0223A90.jpeg

My heritage is German, very German and I love Oktoberfest. Thankfully we have a big celebration (during non-covid times) out here with lots of lederhosen, wiener dog races, Polka and of course beer. I don’t own any Polka albums but Beirut’s generates a good amount of ump-pa-pa with his whimsical brand of gypsy Rock. The beer is from a local brewery and I mainly purchased it because the can has a T-Rex Astronaut. I mean, it’s good too but really come on, A Tyrannosaurus Rex in Space!
D37CBCCB-6EC6-477E-803D-997BF65E3BD4.jpeg
6AF8171D-9CC0-4E83-A4BF-DB78F2FF26AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different (a 10”, a Picture disc, die cut, GITD, etc...)

Pavement - Sensitive Euro Man b/w Brink of the Clouds/Candylad

I bought this die-cut, picture-disc released for the 25th anniversary of Wowee Zowee as a piece to frame. I'll probably never play it again.

IMG_20201024_213822.jpg

IMG_20201024_215442.jpg

Catch up post

Day 23: Record Store Find
Show off an album you discovered at your neighborhood record shop

Don’t very often get surprised in a record store , but this one I brought after the stall holder was grooving along to this , and I had to ask “Who’s this....?” ..sale made...track 1 is one of the best pieces of music ever made

57284371-F87E-4286-A6BF-224607D17F2D.jpeg

Catch up post

Wunderbar! Spin something that pairs well with a beer. Prost! (bonus points if you show off your beer with with your record)

Did some one say beer and records - the mighty Maiden have this covered ..and yes I have 11 different bottle designs ..and I am missing 1 - the quest will continue..

8C2D6E6A-980C-489B-B9A1-FA1561D569A9.jpeg

Day 25: Channel Orange
Spin an album that relates to the color orange in some way

Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

6E580233-FC60-462D-A37C-1A377952FA0B.jpeg

It’ll have to be the fruit instead of the color. I know his other albums were more critically acclaimed, but this one had some of the best pop songs of the year

Back