October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 18: 120 Minutes

If this website is accurate, No Money Down was the first video shown on the first forth episode.

Lou Reed ‎– Mistrial
RCA ‎– PL87190, 1986

European pressing

Pressed at Sonopress

yCR31D.jpg

5gZnGv.jpg

Last edited:
Day 22: That’s....interesting

Soviet Era Roentgenizdat (Bone Record)

Here's one which is likely not to pop up again today, a soviet-era Roentgenizdat. These 'Bone Records' are bootlegged albums cut onto used x-rays. During the soviet-era music was strictly controlled and the government made it an illegal offence to listen to certain music, controlling vinyl material and pressing plants. Rebellious music lovers would trade alcohol for albums (from sailors who would smuggle them in) and x-rays from doctors/hospital staff. The material lends itself to being cut on (its very similar to modern day flexi-discs) although the audio quality is almost always poor. A few years after I picked this up, I attended a lecture here in London by Stephen Coates, an expert in the field. He brought his own soviet-era lathe with him to the lecture and as a musician sang to the audience he cut direct to disc (x-ray).

562ylq60e8s11 (1).jpg
IMG_0281 (1).JPG

Day 22: That’s....interesting - Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different (a 10”, a Picture disc, die cut, GITD, etc...)

The Lumineers - Winter EP

Despite being a 10" record this is one of my favorites in my collection. I've spent many nights listening to these 4 songs over and over again.

Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different

Jeff Tweedy - Together at Last

10E4DCA9-07B0-4F66-9365-D4E7B68B6626.jpeg

This was a limited box set that wasn’t much... the record is clear and it came with a jigsaw puzzle of the album cover. I feel like it’s some sort of joke, being that the majority of the pieces are just black.

Day 21 - 8 Bit Action

I don't own any videogame soundtracks, and my bugsnax single still hasn't arrived, so I had to get creative with this one.

The Godfather videogame was the first I bought for the PS3, and the soundtrack is an adaptation of the movie's, so I don't feel like this is cheating too much.

Nino Rota - The Godfather (Original Soundtrack Recording)

LP, Album, Gat
Paramount Records PAS-1003
1972 US

IMG_8681.jpg

Day 19: I Miss Concerts

I don't think they get too many concerts these days, but while I was going to Southern Illinois University Carbondale, or living in the area, we got a couple shows a year come through.

I gave myself an early birthday present and saw Muse/Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers on March 27, 2000

I wasn't there for Muse...and have no recollection of what they sang.

It was the Californication tour, but they played more songs from this album...

Red Hot Chili Peppers ‎– Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 468348-1, 1991/2012

Pressed at Record Industry

ucYrUO.jpg

UiX1s7.jpg

Day 22: That's... Interesting

Had to go with PJ today for the 30th anniversary of their first show.

Pearl Jam 2013 Holiday Single was pretty interesting. This is likely the 2nd time I've played it.

Side A - Pearl Jam & Jay-Z performing 99 Problems at the Made in America Festival
Side B - Eddie Vedder & Jean Tripplehorn performing Shattered in the style of Julie Andrews

Pearl Jam ~ Holiday Single 2013
1603382240969.png

Spin an album or single or EP that is a bit different (a 10”, a Picture disc, die cut, GITD, etc...)
Air - Sexy Boy 10” Picture Disc
C7108043-F6A2-4AD2-8979-73F5A8CBC65C.jpeg
Air had a pretty good streak of releasing som fun RSD exclusives; this one is a good example. It is the only die cut picture disc in my collection and was dish warped AF when I purchased it (It sat under a heavy stack of books for about 6 months and is now thankfully playable). I rarely listen to this but for it being a picture disc it doesn’t sound half bad. The music video for “Sexy Boy” (featuring the stuffed chimp) was my introduction to the group and as such it has a soft spot in my heart.

Day 19 - I miss concerts :(

20201022_140129.jpg

U.S. Girls - Heavy Light

So before the world went to hell the first concert I was supposed to see this year was U.S. Girls. I saw them back in 2018 and I was incredibly excited for the show, especially since the lead singles off this album were so much fun

I dont have any pics of that 2018 concert but here is a pic I got with Meg after the show

Screenshot_20201022-140536_Instagram.jpg

Back