October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 19: I Miss Concerts
Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)

Maren Morris - Hero
I won a Sirius XM contest and got to see her at a hotel bar in NY with around 100 people a few years ago. It was crazy to be in such a small intimate setting for someone that was a pretty big star at the time.
IMG-1648.jpg
IMG-1606.PNG

My first concert I was supposed to be The Smashing Pumpkins on their Infinite Sadness Tour in 96 (with Garbage as the opener)...
...But I was getting a “D” in Algebra so my mom wouldn’t let me go (I still have the unused ticket).

I saw them on this tour for you.

Day 21: 8 Bit Action
Spin a Video Game soundtrack or something that sounds like it could soundtrack a video game
Quinton Sung - 8-Bit Computer
04B24C89-7886-4E4B-8CDD-F2E2212FCBF1.jpeg
Most people quickly scrolling through will probably just assume that I chose Ok Computer and while I think it would likely make a great soundtrack to many things this is actually a chiptunes remake of OK Computer and it is great fun. Worth checking out if you enjoy OK Computer or 8 Bit music.

Spin a Video Game soundtrack or something that sounds like it could soundtrack a video game
Quinton Sung - 8-Bit Computer
View attachment 71211
Most people quickly scrolling through will probably just assume that I chose Ok Computer and while I think it would likely make a great soundtrack to many things this is actually a chiptunes remake of OK Computer and it is great fun. Worth checking out if you enjoy OK Computer or 8 Bit music.

Scrolled through just this to hear how they did Fitter Happier. That was pleasantly weird.

Grant Kirkhope - Banjo-Kazooie (iam8bit/Rare, 2015 First Limited Pressing)

My first console as a kid was my uncles second hand Nintendo 64. He gave me all his old games with it including, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and.....Banjo Kazooie. I absolutely love this game and played it for hours upon hours, learning all the secrets and trying to complete all the levels fully. When Banjo Tooie came out in 2000 I was 8 and convinced my parents to get it for me, going with my dad to Game and seeing the look of horror when he saw the price (I swear it was like £40 even back then!). A few years ago now I came across the chance to buy this soundtrack and it was worth it just for the nostalgia. I can still link each track to the specific level when the first few notes are played.

IMG_3998.JPG

65daysofstatic - No Man's Sky: Music for an Infinite Universe

I don't have any game soundtracks on vinyl, and I've never even played this game, but I like 65daysofstatic's electronic post-rock, so I'm giving this one a listen while I grade exams.

Capture+_2020-10-21-14-52-41.png

Day 21 | 8 Bit Action
Stardew Valley OST

So I’m actually kind of embarassed about how many hours I spent playing this game a few years ago. And when I bought this, I didn’t think I’d ever spin it, but the soundtrack is so relaxing. It’s basically elevator music, but fuck it, it’s like perfect work-from-home music. 😂

Also, Stardew Valley > Animal Crossing

IMG_0680.jpg

Day 19: I Miss Concerts

These kids have only rolled into town once and that was in 2017 at the now rebranded Hard Rock Hotel. They even played pool side. This city is certainly strange when it comes to getting bands to book shows here. People might think all the bands want to play Las Vegas but that certainly isn’t true. The “bigger” venues are on the Strip(blah) and the smaller venues might be too small. In the 90’s and early 2,000s there was The Huntridge Theater and EVERYONE played there. Sadly that venue fell on hard times and was in limbo for many many years. Thankfully it was purchased and will hopefully be restored for the next generation. There are other factors as to why bands won’t play here but that involves even more typing....

3FDDD1FD-4A06-411A-BF26-5A9D012070E7.jpeg
3488D42F-9C91-4EAF-9AC5-5181995AD256.jpeg

Back