October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 19 Last concert before the Rona

My wife has MS and really can’t go out very often, plus concerts in a wheelchair aren’t a ton of fun she’s usually stuck looking at the butt of the person in front of her all night, but Somehow I was able to convince her to come out to this one even though she only knew Danny from the theme song to straight off the boat . They were real nice to us at this spot he was at and they actually put us in the VIP section right near the stage , We had a blast.A01BED0C-446F-4418-B007-E155A6C3595E.jpeg
C978E941-E676-4A37-8373-48E0B43DECDC.jpeg

Day 19: I Miss Concerts
Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)

My last show before Covid was Durand Jones and the Indications on February 26th in a small venue called The Loving Touch. Fantastic show, I may have savored it even more had I known it would be my last for the foreseeable future.

20201019_162411.jpg

20201019_151716.jpg

Charli XCX - Charli

She's a lot of fun! The costumes worn by some of the concert-goers were eclectic. Still kicking myself for missing an opportunity to meet her at Music Millenium and get merch signed + a photo with her. I would absolutely go to another of her shows (assuming that is possible in the future). The concert silence is an excruciating pain.

16031407506473009365920371135551.jpg

20191006_223047.jpg

20191006_214221.jpg

Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)

My last show before Covid was Durand Jones and the Indications on February 26th in a small venue called The Loving Touch. Fantastic show, I may have savored it even more had I known it would be my last for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 70994

View attachment 70995

Durand was my last pre-COVID show too, on February 13th!

Day 18: 120 Minutes
Spin something that would make Matt Pinfield proud

120 Minutes was the best.

In the days before the internet, it and my local record store kept me in touch with what was happening out there that commercial radio couldn't be bothered to play.

Matt Pinfield was actually a late comer as a host. He came on in '95 and you had the big three of Kevin Seal, Dave Kendall and Lewis Largent from '87 or so leading up to Matt. MTV seemed to switch hosts every 3 to 4 years.

I have about 60 hours of 120 Minutes broadcasts recorded on VHS. For all you young'uns, that's how dusty old men like me used to preserve TV broadcasts for posterity.

The best shows were the live compilations of bands performing in their studio. Sublime.

120 Minutes was the best.

Galaxie 500 - Copenhagen

20200925_221537.jpg

Oh my God, do I miss live shows.

I was used to seeing 3 to 5 shows a month. For roughly 40 years. I'm hurtin' right now.

I'm a live taper kinda guy and was never into the photography side. That said, I did retrieve the occasional artifact to commemorate a show.

This one goes way back. About as far back as my live show history can go. In fact, local hacks aside, this was my first real concert.

Here's the official concert program I bought on July 14th, 1976...

20201020_020434.jpg20201020_020522.jpg

Elton John - Here And There

20201020_020345.jpg

Last edited:

Oh my God, do I miss live shows.

I was used to seeing 3 to 5 shows a month. For roughly 40 years. I'm hurtin' right now.

I'm a live taper kinda guy and was never into the photography side. That said, I did retrieve the occasional artifact to commemorate a show.

This one goes way back. About as far back as my live show history can go. In fact, local hacks aside, this was my first real show.

Here's the official concert program I bought on July 14th, 1976...

View attachment 71041View attachment 71042

Elton John - Here And There

View attachment 71043

Look at that jumper ..uber cool 😎

Day 20: Gives Good Face - Spin an album that features nice headshot on the cover.

Ibeyi - Ash

Not just a headshot but a really cool mashup headshot of the twin sisters of Ibeyi on this previous N&G AoTM! And as an added bonus, the packaging ties into the headshot in such an awesome way!

Day 19 | I Miss Concerts
Noname - Telefone

This album is in my top 5 favorite Chicago rap albums (with College Dropout, Acid Rap, Be, MBDTF). I was able to see her on one of the back-to-back nights she did at Metro here in her hometown to kick off her first tour a few months after this album came out. Picture below is when Saba & Smino came out to do Shadow Man with her.

Before everything was shutdown, I had tickets to see Black Pumas. It was supposed to be in January, but they postponed it to late March, because they were supposed to do an awards show or something. Then a week or so before that, is when all the shutdowns began, and it’s been postponed indefinitely like most other live events.

IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_3642.jpeg

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

Concerts have definitely been what I've missed most over the last seven months. Although I've tried to make the best of it and tuned into a bunch of artists' livestreams, as well as watching old, well shot and recorded, concerts on YouTube late into the night, there's nothing like feeling the energy of an actual concert. It's one of the reasons I moved to the city. Hopefully our governments can get their acts together and put an end to this pandemic soon and help save our stages.

Today I'll highlight one of my favourite bands, and the one I've seen in concert the most, by my count ten times. They're also the only band I've travelled significant distances to see. I first got into Murder By Death in 2005, and quickly got my friends into them as well, but we didn't have a chance to see them in Toronto around then for whatever reason. In our second year of university, during our reading week in February, one of my friends and I decided to take the trip to Kansas where our other friend was living at the time and then road trip to Tucson, Arizona, where MBD would be that night performing all of this record in full (then their latest) as well as our favourite, 2003's Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them? With barely any money, I bought two round-trip Greyhound tickets from Ottawa to Wichita, which took us two full days. Another two days of driving to get to Tucson. It ended up being, of course, an incredible concert, but all these years later it sticks out in my memory as being one of the most fun weeks I've ever had, road tripping with my two best friends to see our favourite band and getting into various misadventures along the way.

The photo below is from a more recent show, in early 2019 at Lee's Palace here in Toronto.

PXL_20201020_134419947.jpgIMG_20190426_230825.jpg

Back