October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 14: Dedications
Spin something and dedicate it to someone important to you

Genesis - Abacab

This goes out to my sister. She's four years older than me, and was very influential to me and my musical exposure growing up. She brought around albums like Back in Black, Get the Knack and Cheap Trick at Budokan (which has a whole other great story)
Some of the stuff she liked took awhile to grow on me and some stuff never did.

She was a huge Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel fan...and while I didn't love this album all that much back then, she played it a LOT. I So I recently saw this in a bin at my local, super clean and priced so fair I finally picked up a copy. I haven't listened to it in its entirety since, hmm, I don't even know. So this goes out to Kim today. (she knows, I just texted her the same pic)

GEN.jpg

Day 14 - Dedication

Dua Lipa "Future Nostalgia" (2020 Warner)

This one is dedicated to my daughter, the love of my life. She's is currently at her last in-pool diving practice for a while, since everything being shut down for at least two weeks starting tomorrow (because, you know, COVID). We're crossing our fingers that it's not too long because her sport is very individual. But again, people like her are taking a hit for all of those that couldn't be bothered making sacrifices a month ago. Anyway, I'm always amazed at the concentration of courage and skill in such a little person. She's going to need lots of support to keep her chin up, maintain her usual optimism and continue training in the meantime. Which we'll be happy to provide. I may have to stock up on ice cream.

I chose this record because she's the one that introduced me to it in the spring. She was excited to play me some tracks on her phone because I might like it. And I did.

IMG_0924.JPG

This one is for my daughter...who at 14 is starting to have a hard time with being a freshman during COVID and distant learning. Being essentially trapped in the house for what will be close to a year - if they do get to go back to school in February as planned.

I don't even know if she listens to this anymore - things from 2019 seem to be "old" now.

Billie Eilish ‎– When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
Darkroom/Interscope Records ‎– B0029729-01, 2019

"pale yellow" variant

Pressed at Precision/GZ

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

6C61149F-0281-4E8B-8892-E53C85CA8B36.jpeg

I think it’s interesting that this came immediately to mind. My dad had really great taste in music, but I was certain that this album would be too weird for him. I had put on “Sadie,” which on first listen would probably seem very harsh to the ear, but my dad immediately loved it (particularly the lyrics) and thought it was one of the most amazing songs he had heard in a long time. He played it over and over again and it drove my mom nuts. A few years later, he died unexpectedly. I had forgotten about this album but later ended up finding this CD in his car after he passed.

“And all that we built
And all that we breathed
And all that we spilt
Or pulled up like weeds
Is piled up in back
And it burns irrevocably

We spoke up in turns
'Til the silence crept over me”

Julie and the Phantoms Soundtrack

I let my daughter (age 11) choose what to blast on the speakers, and she picked this, so I dedicate it to her! (She really liked the series, so this has been playing at lot at our house.)

View attachment 70345
We just finished that show last night . I hope there’s another season my daughter loved it

Day 15: BAM! It’s Emeril Lagasse Birthday - Sprinkle some essence on a delicious album

Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You

I'm going to take a bit of a different way of looking at this one. While this album is a delicious offering of sweet soul music, Emeril always says 'Bam! Kick it up a notch!', so I'm going more with an album that kicks it up a notch. Specifically I want to talk about the opening song of the album, Respect. Aretha took an already great Otis Redding song, flipped the narrative, and took it to a whole different level. To me, this song is the definition of kicking it up a notch, and really the album as a whole is as well. Spoiler alert for those of you participating in the N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time thread: this album falls in my top 50, so good!

Day 14 | Dedications
Snoop Dogg - Ain’t No Fun (featuring Warren G, Nate Dogg, Kurupt) (from Doggystyle album)

This one is dedicated to Nate Dog. No, not Nate Dogg his namesake, but Nate Dog, my actual dog. He’s pushing 14 and grumpy as hell and has a hard time getting around, but he’s still my #1 wingman.

IMG_0629.jpg

Image 2.JPG

Here’s him sleeping through my loud marathon record vacuum-cleaning session yesterday:
IMG_0623.jpg

And here’s him stylin’ at the beach in his slightly younger days a few years ago:
1FCEFBD5-8618-408E-AC6E-208079598305_1_201_a.jpeg

Back