October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 10: Live from New York, it's Saturday night!

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

This is far from my favourite Wilco album, and I haven't really watched SNL since high school, but apparently Wilco was on while promoting this album. I couldn't find any videos of the performance but they seem to have played "Hate it Here" and maybe "Walken"?

PXL_20201015_233054854.jpg

Also, RIP my favourite neighbourhood Wilco-themed sandwich shop, which opened about a year later.

198965_10150171659115421_3720855_n.jpg

Last edited:
Day 14 Dedication

This one I’m dedicating to dear ol dad. Not only did he get me into Zeppelin, but countless other bands. He also handed down some records to me as well as bought my first two for me (white album and dark side) and gave me my first player. He told me last year he got a player again and was getting back into records and was ecstatic when I gave him all my doubles I had including Dylan, zeppelin and Bowie as well as his copy of tubular bells he had passed down to me.

Of all the bands we both liked we connected most on Zeppelin and II happens to be his and my favorite of theirs. So without further ado I give you

Led Zeppelin - II

90B4B53C-BA89-4D1C-B7B0-661A106A557A.jpeg

Day 14 - Dedication
The Koreatown Oddity - Little Dominique's Nosebleed

This is dedicated to my older sister, who got me into hip hop driving me around when I was in elementary school with her Sir Mix A Lot tape in her car, and then turned me on to a bunch of great artists in college. This is the most recent hip hop album I've gotten in the mail and this the last new song I sent her to check out.

IMG_20201015_225121.jpg

Day 16: Side Hustle - Spin something by an artist’s side project

Rachael & Vilray - Rachael & Vilray

Rachael Price is the lead singer of Lake Street Dive, who I love, but this absolutely beautiful collaboration album with Vilray might be my favorite thing she's ever done.

Day 12: Black and white

Black Walls - Acedia

PXL_20201016_132916551.jpg

This was the first record by a local musician named Ken Reaume, and the first of two under this moniker. He drew all his cover art himself and I've always loved this one especially. Sadly he's not making music anymore, but he is still drawing, recently doing a companion print to a special Six Organs of Admittance release.

Day 16 | Side Hustle
Them Crooked Vultures - S/T

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a side project, it’s more like a supergroup. But I guess it’s a side project for all 3 of them, especially since they haven’t done anything together since.

I remember before this came out and before the public had heard anything from this album, they announced a midnight show here in Chicago at The Metro during Lollapalooza weekend. I remember trying (and failing) to get tickets and all of the hype for it. Looking back at it, FOMO is real - I liked Zeppelin, but I’d never really listened to any Foo or Queens outside of Foo’s second album many years before this. Anyways, this album came out a few months later, and I ended up loving the album, and played the shit out of that CD.

IMG_0648.jpg
IMG_0649.jpg

Day 13: Washington State of Mind

Pedro the Lion - Control

Kind of surprised I didn't see any Bazan for this day! Pedro the Lion is one of many artists I got into through my older brother, and possibly the one I remember him listening to longest ago. I didn't really listen to this one as much in high school as It's Hard to Find a Friend or Winners Never Quit but it's become my favourite. "Options" is such an incredible opener and I love when he rocks out on tunes like "Rapture." My brother and I got to see them do this full album for its tenth anniversary in 2012 and it was an incredible show. This also reminds me I still need to watch the recent film Strange Negotiations.

PXL_20201016_142705281.jpg

DAY 16
SIDE HUSTLE
The Arcs - Yours, Dreamily,
The side hustle of Dan Auerbach when he's not going solo or in the Black Keys. Would really love to hear another album from this project considering this is some of the best work Auerbach has done in the past decade but not sure how Richard Swift's passing (RIP) effects any plans of a continuation. Either way, even if this is the group's only release, it's a very good one
20201016_112243.jpg

Back