October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 13: Washington State of Mind

The Sonics - Here are the Sonics!!!

View attachment 70109

I was born and raised and worked in several music-related jobs in Washington State, so this one is tough to narrow down to just one. Although I spent the majority of my life in Seattle, I ended up deciding to narrow it down further to my hometown of Tacoma, which still includes a lot (including Bing Crosby!). This is an early, super beat-up pressing of this classic with lots of typos in the liner notes on the back, but it still sounds great to me.

A Sonics release is my backup if someone takes my first choice before I can post it.

Day 12: Black & White
Spin an album with features black & white cover art

Viet Cong - Viet Cong

This album really makes me miss live music. Preoccupations (fka Viet Cong) have been one of my favorite live acts the past five years or so. They've always ended each show with an amped of version of Death from this album.

IMG_20201012_144749 (1).jpg

My adopted home state is a cornucopia of riches when it comes musical talent (Kenny G, anyone). Spin something that shows off Washington State’s evergreen music scene
Part 1: Beat Happening - Jamboree
17FC34E2-8FA3-494A-9670-39FCC4E2257B.jpeg
I had a lot to choose from but decided to cover a couple of influential bands that are Quintessential to the Pacific Northwest. Calvin Johnson’s K Records had to be represented (I will leave @D Jilla to possibly show Phil Elverum some love). Everyone thinks of Seattle as the birthplace of “Grunge” but if Seattle was the Birthplace then Olympia was where it was conceived. This tiny Capital city in Western Washington has been extremely influential on the worlds of Underground/Alternative/Indie Rock and a big part of that influence came from the DIY spirit championed by Calvin’s band, Beat Happening.

Part 2: Unwound - Repetition
80568AFE-1CC2-47FB-895C-1D6EEB181255.jpeg
Tumwater, WA’s Unwound made moody Noise-Rock. They were workhorses in the scene constantly touring all while recording some brilliant albums over their all too brief lifespan and while they never received the acclaim they deserved until the release of their final album, their masterpiece, Leaves Turn Inside You. They have remained both highly regarded and influential within the Indie Rock community.

Of the "Big 3" that came out of Seattle, I was more of a fan of Soundgarden than the others.

Soundgarden ‎– Badmotorfinger
A&M Records ‎– 75021 5374 1, 1991

Limited Edition on transparent yellow vinyl, w/ alternate band photo on rear sleeve

DMM cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Specialty

rQvMgs.jpg

Stw7CC.jpg

fv19Gq.jpg

Day 10: Live From New York It’s Saturday Night!
Spin an artist that has been featured on SNL (bonus points if you include the performance clip in your post)

I don't have this song on vinyl, but here's their performance:

Queen ‎– Sheer Heart Attack

PXL_20201013_181601171.jpg

Day 13 - Washington state of mind

My record shelves are packed with Washington bands, with plenty that still haven’t been played yet like Sleater-Kinney, Built to Spill, Melvins, Modest Mouse, AIC, and probably plenty more I’m not thinking of. But, as TLK predicted, the WA artist that fills the most shelf space for me is Phil Elverum.

Here’s a quintessentially Washington LP from Phil, with black metal influence from Phil’s favorite band Wolves in the Throne Room (from Olympia) as well as an interpolation of the Twin Peaks theme song for good measure.

60FB3689-42C8-4200-8AF8-7B87123EB336.jpeg

Day 13 - Washington state of mind

My record shelves are packed with Washington bands, with plenty that still haven’t been played yet like Sleater-Kinney, Built to Spill, Melvins, Modest Mouse, AIC, and probably plenty more I’m not thinking of. But, as TLK predicted, the WA artist that fills the most shelf space for me is Phil Elverum.

Here’s a quintessentially Washington LP from Phil, with black metal influence from Phil’s favorite band Wolves in the Throne Room (from Olympia) as well as an interpolation of the Twin Peaks theme song for good measure.

View attachment 70161
(Psst... Built to Spill is from Idaho 😉)

My adopted home state is a cornucopia of riches when it comes musical talent (Kenny G, anyone). Spin something that shows off Washington State’s evergreen music scene

Modest Mouse and 764-Hero - Whenever You See Fit

I've seen some mentions today of the great Pacific northwest indie scene of the late 90s and early 00s, and this 14-minute song/E.P. is a great encapsulation of that sound. Modest Mouse obviously lived on and got far more popular than I ever would have guessed, but 764-Hero aren't as well remembered. I'd recommend their album Weekends of Sound to hear a very turn-of-the-millennium Washington indie rock band playing some quality tunes.

Capture+_2020-10-13-12-32-26.png

Modest Mouse and 764-Hero - Whenever You See Fit

I've seen some mentions today of the great Pacific northwest indie scene of the late 90s and early 00s, and this 14-minute song/E.P. is a great encapsulation of that sound. Modest Mouse obviously lived on and got far more popular than I ever would have guessed, but 764-Hero aren't as well remembered. I'd recommend their album Weekends of Sound to hear a very turn-of-the-millennium Washington indie rock band playing some quality tunes.

View attachment 70168

The name “764-Hero” was also very PNW specific, as it was the phone number you could call to report someone who was violating the carpool lane rules in Washington. Only true heroes called it.

Back