December 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: ‘Tis The Season Of Giving

debar22

Welcome to the December challenge thread! Thanks to @Kris for a great November thread with some really tough (at least for me) individual day themes. It was also the first challenge thread that I fully completed!

This month’s themes will be pretty basic, but to spice things up, I’ve created an overall theme for each day of the week:

Musical Instrument Mondays - based on a type of instrument
Titan Tuesdays - based on a titan in their field
Worldwide Wednesdays - based on geography
Time Period Thursdays - based on an era
Festive Fridays - based on good times
Sinful Saturdays - based on the seven deadly sins
Spiritual Sundays - based on the antithesis of the seven deadly sins

As usual, try to play something that hasn’t already been played for that day’s theme, feel free to catch up, try not to skip ahead, interpret each day your own way, and please feel free to share a story or little nugget for each choice!

And oh yeah, since 'tis the season of giving, there will be a raffle (or two...or three) to show my appreciation for this forum! Details and eligibility rules will be in the second post.

Daily Themes:

Day 1 - Asia
Play something from the largest continent

Day 2 - 60s
Play something from the 60s

Day 3 - Happy Hour
Play something that helps you unwind after work

Day 4 - Lust
Play something that makes you feel dirty

Day 5 - Love
Play something that makes your heart flutter

Day 6 - Strings
Play something that prominently features strings

Day 7 - Sports
Play something sports-related to celebrate Larry Bird’s birthday

Day 8 - South America
Play something from South America

Day 9 - 70s
Play something from the 70s

Day 10 - Party
Play something you would play at a party

Day 11 - Sloth
Play something lazy

Day 12 - Motivational
Play something that drives you

Day 13 - Synthesizer
Play something that prominently features synths

Day 14 - G.O.A.T.
Play something from someone considered one of the G.O.A.T.s in their field to celebrate Jay-Z’s birthday (it’s off by 10 days, I’m reaching here!)

Day 15 - Africa
Play something from the hottest continent

Day 16 - 80s
Play something from the 80s

Day 17 - Payday
Play something about money

Day 18 - Wrath / Envy
Play something angry or resentful

Day 19 - Calm
Play something that gives you peace

Day 20 - Drums / Percussion
Play something that prominently features drums or percussion

Day 21 - One-Hit Wonder
Play something lesser-known from someone mostly known as a one-hit wonder to celebrate Gangnam Style becoming the first YouTube video to hit 1 billion streams on this day 9 years ago

Day 22 - Abroad
Play something from outside your home country

Day 23 - 90s
Play something from the 90s

Day 24 - Holidays
Play something that puts you in the holiday spirit

Day 25 - Gluttony / Greed
Play something excessive

Day 26 - Charity
Play something that engenders goodwill in you

Day 27 - Unique
Play something that prominently features a unique or uncommon instrument

Day 28 - Comic Books
Play something related to comics to celebrate Stan Lee’s birthday

Day 29 - Home
Play something from your hometown or home country

Day 30 - 21st Century
Play something from the current century

Day 31 - New Year’s Eve
Play something that puts you in a celebratory mood

Raffle Details!

To show my appreciation for this forum, I’ll be raffling off some prizes! This place has been awesome for me the last couple of years. While my level of engagement and interaction has definitely ebbed & flowed, I always check in here because I know I’ll always find something great. Whether it’s the PIF & PIFsgiving threads with all the generosity and crazy amount of great records being offered up, or the RSD threads helping find records. Or the hip-hop thread putting me on to absurdly priced new releases. Or these challenge threads and the what’s spinning thread exposing me to great stuff I wouldn’t have found otherwise. Or just the kind, interesting, and sometimes strange members in general. I appreciate you all!

I know the holiday season can be a busy time for people, so I decided to have 3 different raffles with different eligibility rules to give people multiple opportunities to participate without necessarily feeling pressure to do it for the entire month. The cash prizes for these raffles will be a gift certificate from either Bandcamp or a local record store of your choice (if they allow online gift certificate purchases). I know we have plenty of international members here, too - haven’t looked into how these prizes would work in that case yet, but please don’t hesitate to participate - we’ll figure out prizes should an international member win!

1st raffle will be on Friday 12/17 at 7:00 PM Chicago time. Anyone who participated for all of the first 14 days of the challenge will be entered into the raffle. That should give everyone ~3 days to catch up if needed. Prize will be $25.

2nd raffle will be on Saturday 1/1 at 7:00 PM Chicago time. Anyone who participated for at least 7 days (any 7) of the challenge will be entered into the raffle. Prize will be $15.

3rd raffle will be on Sunday 1/2 at 7:00 PM Chicago time. Anyone who participated for all 31 days of the challenge will be entered into the raffle. I don’t want to encroach too much on next month’s challenge, so you only have New Year’s weekend to catch up if needed. Prize will be $60 and a choice of one of these records:

Dinner Party - Dessert (RSD) sealed
Baby Huey - The Living Legend (ROG 1LP)
Raekwon - ...Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (MOV)
Lorde - Solar Power (Target) sealed
Crumb - Ice Melt (Gold)
Clairo - Sling (VMP)
Buena Vista Social Club - S/T (VMP)
Johnny Cash - Fulsom Prison (VMP) sealed

Anything not sealed is in the VG+/NM range. I'll double-check conditions eventually, and may add more options to the list. I'll add pics and discogs links when I have time, too.

I’ll be tracking entries in this spreadsheet. For each day, I’ll put the post number for each person. I’ll put the last post I tracked in the first cell. I’ve given permissions to leave comments in the spreadsheet, so if I missed a day, please comment in the cell for that day in your row with the post number. Or you can send me a private message here if that’s easier. Please try to keep the comments regarding missed entries out of this thread.

Thanks & enjoy!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Day 1 - Asia

Nothing like a little Japanese Black Metal to go with my coffee and wake me up to go teach my last few classes of the semester!

Sigh - Heir to Despair

Screenshot_20211201-073033.jpg

(Had to snag the picture off discogs cause my photo is all blurry and keeps failing to upload... My new phone's camera is f'ing terrible. Worse than potato)

Thanks for organizing this month @debar22 and for your incredibly generous raffles!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Asia

Pakistan
1920px-Pakistan_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Image credit

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Profile: World-renowned Pakistani musician, primarily a singer of Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis (a mystical tradition within Islam). Nusrat's family has an unbroken tradition of performing Qawwali for approximately 600 years.

Born October 13, 1948, Lyallpur, Punjab, Pakistan; died August 16, 1997, Cromwell Hospital, London, England.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan – Mustt Mustt

PXL_20211201_131954038.jpg

Also this is the December 2020 N&G ROTM!

Day 1 - Asia

I had a couple I was thinking about, but I'm in the mood for this one.

Various – Killing Melody - Instrumental Music From Japanese Pinky Violence Movies
Ethbo Music – ETHBO 8LP, 2010

Cut by Christoph Grote-Beverborg at Dubplates & Mastering

UXzmkD.jpg

B74d9G.jpg

I'll do my best, but not sure if I'll be able to finish this time around - if things go according to plan (when do they ever though?) I should be finishing off the month away from my turntable at my in-laws. Maybe I'll try to finish things off with streaming apps?

BRB with my first selection.

Back