November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Jon Brion was also a producer on this one! I’d consider him as a personal favorite

Yes! Can't forget Jon Brion. I honestly don't know all that much about him, but from what I've read he completely altered the sound/direction of this album for the better. In my opinion he helped open Kanye's eyes to what's possible and contributed to how experimental Kanye would become. He was the reason the album was so orchestral, which is part of what makes the album so great and is why Late Orchestration, which I love, exists.

Day 19 - A Big Production

Daniel Lanois has a very distinct, atmospheric sound. He’s responsible for some of my favorite albums from Dylan, Willie, Emmylou, Peter Gabriel, and Eno. Of course he’s probably most famous for his work with U2 (and Eno), but I’m not much of a U2 guy.

4958B5F6-8D3B-48EF-A57B-FF49F07B6BD6.jpeg

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band

I saw Lyle for my first time two summers ago. (Seems more recent)
He was amazing. He played a patient, beautiful set. He told stories, he gave band members time to tell their stories, and even played some of their material. And he played quite a few of my favorites.

Screenshot_20201119-175426.jpg20190725_192935.jpg20190725_211013.jpg

Day 19: A Big Production
Play an album that was produced by a big name producer

Masters of Reality - S/T
Produced by Rick Rubin

This album comes in at #16 on my Top 50 for the N&G 500. And also would be a candidate for an AOTM if I ever run one of those thingies.

20201114_155705.jpg

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying.
Tough one. My youthful dislikes were just socially required affectations. The NME Exclusion Principle meant you listened to either John Peel or Tommy Vance, not both. But in private I actually liked Stranglers, Sabbath and Boney M. But I think found something.

Jolene by Dolly Parton, Featuring: I Will Always Love You

It's easy enough to enjoy a good country band playing tight af but the hyperdrive sentimentality and melodrama of this album generally not my thing. Indeed my biggest problem with pop and rock is excessive romanticism (in the generalized sense of Germanic Romanticism, ach weh). This isn't Dolly in 9 to 5 using a whip to discipline a boss in bondage. This album is full of women weeping pathetically about losing their men. The "I will always love you" lyric isn't a promise but a lament.

But Dolly is such a powerful singer and writer that with this recording I can, in my 2nd half c., make the leap of empathy and weep pathetically too. I can't think of another artist who could accomplish that.

1605883056030.png

Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying

My wife likes to remind me that in college I was very dismissive of bands that didn't 'play instruments', but relied on synthesizers. Flash forward 25+ years, we make friends with a couple at our kids school who are very into music, and they introduce us to Sylvan Esso and their first album. That gut reaction immediately comes to mind, but I give them a chance and find that I really enjoy the sharp yet reflective lyrics AND the music. Seen them a few times, and definitely will again once we get through this.

Sylvan Esso ~ Free Love

1605890554382.png

Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying
Brightblack Morning Light - Brightblack Morning Light
D0CA01D7-2451-4F38-A79F-693246E02373.jpeg
I remember when this album was originally released and not being swayed much by it’s charms though many glowing reviews from trusted sources told me it was something I should enjoy. I think I was fond of the album’s artwork and the band’s overall aesthetic plus they were included in the Freak Folk scene that I found delightful so I never outright abandoned this album it just remained tucked away in the bowels of my hard drive gathering virtual cobwebs. That is until my bus commute home from work a few summers ago, listening to a random smart playlist of songs they I had downloaded but neglected turned up the lead off track on this LP and immediately I was hooked. It turns out the older I have become the more tolerant I have become to music that demands patience. I don’t think it was much of a coincidence this was the same period of time I started exploring both Jazz and The Grateful Dead, two other musical styles that I rarely had time for up until that point.

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song

This live performance is actually better than what is on the album - and was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Performance 2017 - they lost to Bowie's "Blackstar" - and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Disturbed ‎– Immortalized
Reprise Records ‎– 550136-1, 2015

Cut by Ray Janos at Sterling
Pressed at United

zscUzq.jpg

6zyLub.jpg

Day 20 - Mature You

I was all rock and hip hop as a youngin, so anything electronic, jazz, or classical that I listen to now really fits the bill here.

I’ll go with this Alice LP, an hour plus of live spiritual/free/space jazz that I would have shut off after about 30 seconds in high school.

B19A0F71-699B-4F0B-A237-E9108053F6E3.jpeg

Day 19: A Big Production

Donald Byrd ‎– Fancy Free (Blue Note, 2018 VMP Pressing)

I recently finished listening to a 5-part series on Blue Note records and was surprised to hear that this album was produced by Duke Pearson. During the early years of Blue Note, the saxophonist Ike Quebec took on the role of A&R and sometimes producer and when he passed away Pearson unofficially took over the role. Pearson himself recorded several albums (his 1968 album,The Phantom, was recently released as part of the Tone Poet series) and produced several more, including this one by Donald Byrd.

IMG_5239.JPG

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

I'm twisting this one a bit and picking an album of covers, this CD was my introduction to Lee Hazlewood just like "I'm your fan" was my introduction to Leonard Cohen.
Like most tribute albums, it's a bit uneven but, there are some cool covers here.

tempImagesvu7LE.png

Last edited:
Day 21: Younger You - Now, play an album that younger you is responsible for.

Blink-182 ‐ Enema Of The State

Middle School me loved this album (still do), and Blink and Green Day was my first concert in 8th grade. This album set the stage for my taste in music for years to come.

Back