November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 21: Younger You
Now, play an album that younger you is responsible for.
A lot of ways to interpret that. If I still own an album I bought when I was 15 then was younger me responsible for it? I switched to collecting CDs in the late 80s. I remember even as a student being a vinyl snob (idiotic, I know) but a conversation with Derek Bailey c. 1988 disabused me. He ran the Incus label since 1970 and said he preferred CDs: easier to lift and move around without injuring you back. He wasn't wrong. So most of my LPs are the responsibility of younger me.

So, how about the following double shot? Does it satisfy the teleological intent of today's challenge?

City: Works of Fiction by Jon Hassell on the 1990 Opal Records LP that I bought back then and the All Saints 2014 2LP release of the same plus extras.

I cannot express how important the music of Jon Hassell has been to me over the decades. And, objectively, his accomplishments are unique and many. For one thing, I know 18 albums beginning 1978 through to this year and every one of them is excellent. I'm not shy to point out anyone's inferior recording or performance, because we gotta stay honest, but there's simply nothing to point at here.

UPDATE Nov 22: I just donated to a Go Fund Me to help with Jon's care, housing and medical costs. Jon Hassell Fund, organized by Luke Schwartz I didn't know he was poorly until today :'( I'll buy the new album too.

1605970268129.png

I got the newer 2LP when a few years back I believed I might revive my vinyl collecting (a story for another day perhaps). It includes a bunch of bonus material for download including the audio from the following 1989 performance by the band on City at WTC NYC that was filmed and broadcast on PBS. If you like the music this is a must. If you don't know Jon Hassell it's somewhere to start that shows roughly how it was done. Check out the comments including those from several band members.

Last edited:
Day 21: Younger You - Play an album that younger you is responsible for.

Picked up the Dance Craze soundtrack on a whim during the 2nd RSD this year, which reminded me I had a Madness-sized hole in my collection. The amount of hours teenage me spent listening to Oingo Boingo or Madness on my walkman is way too many to count - and I have a great memory of seeing them for the first time at the Hollywood Palladium with Fishbone. So, off to discogs I went and now I find that my kids like this album too.

Madness ~ Complete Madness

1605979863508.png

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying.
Regine Crespin Sings Wagner
Side 2 - Wesendonk Lieder.
There is absolutely no way that the younger me would have accepted me would have had anything to do with Wagner, although there had been a moment when Parsifal was on TV when I was a kid and the end of the first act had made me think; hmm, maybe there's something to this. This album of these songs, particularly schmerzen, and an experience listening to Walküre whilst painting an apartment with my Dad opened the door

DSCN0124.JPG

Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
Back in the day, it was all about Jazz so anything else was always a tape copy. This is, therefore a vinyl copy that I picked up to show my kids something about censorship. This cover, which I think is a re-working of an ad for an investment bank that probably went over most people's heads, was replaced with something else in the US as being too subversive. Heaven 17 also had to play a different cut from this album at the last minute on Top of the Pops because the track that had charted was a bit too political. I love that cover, though...DSCN0125.JPG

A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement

A29FA9CD-39B0-4B4A-9007-D8B35B9DA1C7.jpeg

What an appropriate theme for my birthday today! This album came out in high school and I remember loading it up on my Sony disc player, which was attached to a cassette that you put in the car’s tape player. The stock speakers in my Pontiac Grand Am really got a work out with this one

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (Warner Bros. Records, 2014 Signed Pressing)

Following on from my last post, here's one to catch up. Linkin Park was played a lot when I was growing up, and this is one that I picked up years later. Still love it even though it's vastly different to what I listen to now.

IMG_5298.JPG

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying

I'm getting a little heavy on this one...
In the late 80s while in my late teens I was estranged from my family and briefly homeless. I ended up crashing on the couch of a family who's daughter I was dating. Her dad got me a job at the company where he worked too. But unfortunately I dealt with some abuse while I resided there. Mostly emotional, but the father got physical with me a couple times as well. I worked as much as I could to get the F out of there, and after about 8 months I got an apartment of my own. The soundtrack to this era in my life was country music. They listened to it daily; mostly George Jones, Conway Twitty, and Merle Haggard. For years and years there were certain songs that took me right back to that rough stretch, and it affected me very negatively so I avoided any form of country music.

It's been over 30 years since I lived there, and over the last half decade or so I really came around to what a wonderful genre of music country is. I'm glad I can move forward; missing out on artists like Merle, Waylon and Willie would be shame.

And the irony of the album title certainly isn't lost on me.

20201121_173326.jpg

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep - Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Rufus feat. Chaka Kahn - Rufusized

This is a really good album, but when I want Rufus with Chaka Kahn I almost always go with Rags to Rufus.

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep - Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Os Novos Bahainos - é ferro na boneca!

4C1EF877-1B6F-4FB4-B2D0-1589D3D792C1.jpeg

I went through a Brazilian music phase a couple years ago, but it’s been a while since this one got played... still dig it but Acabou Chorare is hard to beat

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.
Larry Coryell - The Lion & The Ram
Thanks for explaining to me what a PIF is! Somehow, this record... I seem to remember that it came from a charity shop when I was a teenager...it shows no signs of ever having been played and I don't remember ever playing it! Giving it a go now, what do any of you think?
DSCN0126.JPG

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Picked this up from a stack a friend was giving away a few months ago. Hadn't played it till this morning. Fell in love with the Hammond B3 listening to Brent Mydland with the Grateful Dead, so finding out this was an album based around the B3 makes it an easy keep for me. Hitting the spot on a Sunday morning.

Jimmy Smith ~ Home Cookin'

1606065274788.png

Back