November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 18 - I Miss Live Music 2: Electric Boogaloo
Mdou Moctar - Ilana, The Creator

Even though this show was pretty dead when he came through town, his performance was amazing. I don't think they quite captured their live energy on this record even though it's great. Really looking forward to the next one as the new single rocks.
This has been my #1 listening album this year. It's sooo satisfying. I nearly bought a strat because of it. On the plus side, the album sounds great. It's well recorded.

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II - A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Lake Street Dive - Free Yourself Up

While visiting my brother-in-law in Denver in the summer of '18 we all went to Red Rocks to see Lake Street Dive. It was one of the most memorable and amazing shows I've ever been to!

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist

Bye, Bye Love always seemed out of nowhere on this album, but I guess over the years I've gotten used to it. And that clap-along is a big nope for me.

20201118_175048.jpg

Day 16: They're Huge Where I'm From

I really don't listen to anything that was popular when I lived in West Central Illinois.

This band is just huge with me - my "hometown" friends mostly listened to country, but that was almost 25-30 years ago. I really don't have any friends at the moment - and I'm perfectly fine with that.

XTC ‎– Homespun (The Apple Venus Volume One Home Demos)
Cooking Vinyl ‎– COOK 188, 1999

Cut by Miles Showell at Metropolis Mastering
Pressed at EMI Records

ifIi1Y.jpg

6idNKF.jpg

Carissa’s Wierd - Songs About Leaving

FB19D0B9-F661-4018-BE92-62B99638F2CB.jpeg

You probably heard of this band from Seattle because they ended up breaking up to form Band of Horses and Sera Cahoone, but at the time this came out, I don’t remember if it was getting much attention outside Washington State.

Last edited:
Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

James Blake - James Blake
Song: “Limit To Your Love” (originally performed by Feist)

8221AC26-92BC-42DB-A2A9-002DEB0FE7E5.jpeg

Not necessarily a “surprising choice,” as this was the first thing I’d heard from James Blake, but it was such a cool take on a great song.

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II

Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
(Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD)

DE8B01DA-6F03-4B18-840B-5081CF805930.jpeg

Back in the day, I used to average a show or two a week. Then I had kids and it went to mayyyybe one a year. The most recent concert I went to was over a year ago when they were just giving out tickets on the day of the show. My kids became fans of this band after the Peter Rabbit movie came out, so I took two of them for their first non-kids artist concert. I will forever remember how their faces lit up as the band played their favorite songs, like they couldn’t believe that the ACTUAL band was playing them... right there on stage. It really captured the magic of live music for me and I miss it.

1605754849652.png

Last edited:
Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II

The Comet Is Coming ‎– Prophecy (Leaf, 2015 First Limited Pressing)

Im big on seeing live music and its one of the things that I have missed during the lockdown/pandemic. I was due to see Yazz Ahmed tonight in a limited, covid-safe zone but it was cancelled due to COVID. One musician that I have seen live several times is Shabaka Hutchings, and his involvement in The Comet Is Coming (who I have seen 3 times) is one that really pushes the boundaries.

IMG_3219.JPG

NSFW

Day 19: A Big Production
Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

The Jesus Lizard first release, a 12" EP called Pure, was produced by Steve Albini, which I think is uncontroversially A Big Name®, and is off the chain. Albini's great contribution in production has been, it seems to me, his ability to take a band that according to normal logic wouldn't be any good as a recording act relative to their live act and help them make great records.

1605798362248.png

Don't know it?

Day 19: A Big Production
Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

Freedy Johnston - This Perfect World
(Butch Vig)

0C294083-4E6D-4A2D-854F-D0E693D49E00.jpeg

Butch Vig was one of the biggest producers in the 90s after producing some alternative classics (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth), which makes this record stand out a little bit more when you look at his resumé.

Here’s a nice video with him talking about the album:

Day 15: Clean Out Your Fridge Day
Play something that'd get you motivated for the task. Also, major bonus points if you actually do clean out your fridge (pics or it didn't happen).

I'm sure there's something funky in the back of the fridge!

Rob ‎– Funky Rob Way

PXL_20201119_152348326.jpg

Play an act that was/is huge in your hometown, or specifically with your group of friends, or just with you - but that really hasn't been as big in the greater musical world.

Kidbug - s/t

Not exactly from my hometown, but I have all of their record.

PXL_20201119_160359240.jpg

NSFW

The Jesus Lizard first release, a 12" EP called Pure, was produced by Steve Albini, which I think is uncontroversially A Big Name®, and is off the chain. Albini's great contribution in production has been, it seems to me, his ability to take a band that according to normal logic wouldn't be any good as a recording act relative to their live act and help them make great records.

View attachment 75444

Don't know it?

Speaking of Jesus Lizard and boobs, it took me a long time to realize what the cover of GOAT was. I guess I never really tried to and thought it was just something abstract until I looked closely one day while streaming it at work 😂

Day 11: Veteran's Day
If you know a veteran, play an album in their honor. Or, play an album from an artist who served.

Elvis Presley - The Essential Elvis Presley

I know a couple veterans, but I don't like em enough to dedicate anything. So, uhhh Elvis served didn't he?

It's now or never....
IMG_1094[2360].JPG

Day 12: Still Fresh
Play an album that came out this year.

Fruit Bats - Siamese Dream

I was going to use a song off this album for Surprising Covers Day, but it's not really "surprising" since the singer sounds A LOT like Billy Corgan. Except, y'know, he can actually sing. Snarf. One of my favorite projects this year. This record is amazing and the songs all manage to sound fresh, but also familiar.

bang bang you're dead. hole in your head
IMG_1095[2362].JPG

Day 19: A Big Production - Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

Kanye West - Late Registration

@D Jilla I guess great minds think alike because I had a similar day planned for next month. I had a different album in mind so I think I'll keep it in December too haha (sorry guys). Anyway, doesn't get much better producer-wise for me than Kanye, and the soul samples here make this an all time favorite of mine!

Day 13: World Kindness Day
Play an album from an artist known for their kindness/generosity. Bonus points if they've been kind to you personally.

The White Stripes - De Stijl

I'll admit. I haven't always been the biggest fan of Jack White. As a teenager and 20-something around Detroit it was hard to avoid The White Stripes when they started hitting the radio. Having hung around mostly in the local Punk and Indie Rock scene, it was also really uncool to like anything on the radio or anyone who made something of themselves. So, for a long time I only new a couple White Stripes songs that were played EVERYWHERE and that Jack White got in a fight with the dude who found a house for us to rent in Ypsilanti. Then, he went and moved to Nashville and it was like "Fuuuuuuuuck Jack White" until my mid-30's. That's when I started noticing headlines like "Jack White donated $100,000 to rehab Clark Park" or "Jack White auctions off this and that for Detroit Charity" or "Jack White pays off past-due taxes to keep Masonic Temple open". As I became more of a socially conscious person I noticed the more charitable and socially conscious things people did. So, I decided to give this guy and this band a chance. They're pretty good, huh?

I mean, he's still kind of a tool who runs off at the mouth and thinks he invented the Garage Rock sound, even though bands like The Sonics were doing it before he was born, but he's a charitable tool and, in the end, his contributions are going to far outweigh the dumb takes he had on the Black Keys, his ex-wife, or Jason from Cobra Youth.

Also, should have let Masonic Temple rot. I hate that venue. 3 bathrooms with 1 urinal and 1 toilet each (on different floors and sides of the building) is criminal when people are at a rock show.

I really wanna be your friend cuz I really don't know anyone
IMG_1096[2370].JPG

Day 14: Every Other Day Is A-hole Day?
If there's a special kindness day, I guess that means every other day is asshole day. Play something from a noted asshole. Bonus points if they've been an asshole to you personally 😂.

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I

He has started riots. He has skipped out on shows. He has punched and spit on fans. He has punched and spit on girlfriends. He has written and sang One In A Million. Axle Rose. All around asshole. But, man are these albums fucking great.

Go and throw me to the lions and the whole damn screaming bunch
IMG_1097[2368].JPG

Day 19: A Big Production - Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

Kanye West - Late Registration

@D Jilla I guess great minds think alike because I had a similar day planned for next month. I had a different album in mind so I think I'll keep it in December too haha (sorry guys). Anyway, doesn't get much better producer-wise for me than Kanye, and the soul samples here make this an all time favorite of mine!

Jon Brion was also a producer on this one! I’d consider him as a personal favorite

Back