November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

D Jilla

Hey all,

I'll be your host for the November challenge! It's a big month - we start things off with the US presidential election and end with the start of the holiday season. If you've never participated in one of these before, I invite you to give it a go - the more participants we have, the more cool stuff we get to see. Similarly, if you lurk but don't post (we always seem to have a ton of guests online?), this is your "in" - join the community and show off your collection!

The Rules
These are pretty much the same as always:
  • For a given day, pick something that hasn't been played yet.
  • Any type of media is fair game.
  • Try not to post early, and if you get behind, feel free to catch up!
  • If you can't fit the theme, just make something up :D
The Themes

Day 1: Dia de los Muertos
Play an album by a deceased artist, and importantly, choose the picture you'd put on their ofrenda.

Day 2: Anticipation
It's Election Day in the US tomorrow. Feeling excited, hopeful, scared, all of the above? Play an album that reflects your mood.

Day 3: Election Day 🇺🇸
Play an album that's quintessentially American.

Day 4: The Aftermath
The election may or may not be decided. Either way, again, play an album that reflects your mood.

Day 5: Guy Fawkes Day
Play an album by a revolutionary artist.

Day 6: Adolphe Sax's Birthday
Play an album that features the saxophone.

Day 7: Midwest Represent
Play an album from an act that originated in one of the midwestern US states.

Day 8: Sound-Track Sunday
Play an album that that includes a track that's prominently featured in a film soundtrack.

Day 9: Great Lyrics
Play an album that's notable for its great lyrics.

Day 10: And Now for Something Completely Different...Pt. II
This a continuation of @Gavaxeman 's theme from September. Pick an album and show off some memorabilia related to it!

Day 11: Veteran's Day
If you know a veteran, play an album in their honor. Or, play an album from an artist who served.

Day 12: Still Fresh
Play an album that came out this year.

Day 13: World Kindness Day
Play an album from an artist known for their kindness/generosity. Bonus points if they've been kind to you personally.

Day 14: Every Other Day Is A-hole Day?
If there's a special kindness day, I guess that means every other day is asshole day. Play something from a noted asshole. Bonus points if they've been an asshole to you personally 😂.

Day 15: Clean Out Your Fridge Day
Play something that'd get you motivated for the task. Also, major bonus points if you actually do clean out your fridge (pics or it didn't happen).

Day 16: They're Huge Where I'm From
Play an act that was/is huge in your hometown, or specifically with your group of friends, or just with you - but that really hasn't been as big in the greater musical world.

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Day 19: A Big Production
Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying.

Day 21: Younger You
Now, play an album that younger you is responsible for.

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Day 23: A Classic Monday
Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic.

Day 24: Changing Weather
Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).

Day 25: Turkey Bowl
Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).

Day 26: Thanksgiving
What are you thankful for? Express it with music.

Day 27: Black Friday
Play something you got in a Black Friday sale or for Black Friday RSD.

Day 28: Christmastime
Okay, you're in the clear, it's that time of year - play a Christmas album.

Day 29: Treat Yo'self
A lot's happened this month, and you just made it through the holidays in a pandemic. Play something just for you, even if it annoys those around you.

Day 30: One Month To Go
Play an album that's helped you get through 2020.

Play an album by a deceased artist, and importantly, choose the picture you'd put on their ofrenda.

Ed Harsch beamed up 4 years ago this Wednesday. It's a bummer he's not here.

Steve Gorman gave a beautiful eulogy to Eddie on his Steve Gorman Sports radio show when he checked out in 2016. This is worth every second of your 12 minutes...

Eddie Harsch 5/27/57 - 11/4/16

RIP Eddie. Thanks for everything.

My favorite pic of Ed beaming up.

IMG_20201101_012334.jpg

Arguably Ed's most beautiful work. And the band knew it...

The Black Crowes - Amorica

20200605_150711.jpg

I was going for Stevie Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990), but this is the only vinyl I have with him, so it will also pay tribute to Albert King (April 25, 1923 – December 21, 1992).

Albert King With Stevie Ray Vaughan ‎– In Session
1604234400973.png

1604234747793.png

Patroness of Musicians

Carlo_Saraceni_-_The_Martyrdom_of_St_Cecilia_-_WGA20831.jpg

PXL_20201101_124455746.jpg

Fountains of Wayne - Utopia Parkway

117C31D7-7CBD-4516-8B2C-E1C9202E3F67.jpeg

Obviously so many to choose from for this one, but Adam Schlesinger’s passing from COVID-19 related complications in the early weeks of this pandemic was such a shock. He was one of my favorite songwriters and I hope more people discover that this band had so much more than “Stacy’s Mom” (great song, just sayin)

1604238152297.jpeg

Day 1. Iannis Xenakis is dead. I think probably he died twice. The first time was when he was active in the resistance in Athens. After that he lived in France as a composer, architect, husband and father.

Of the many recordings of Xenakis' works we have available now, I choose Pléiades, the long work for six percussionists, made by Les Percussions de Strasbourg. If you're interested, Youtube has several videos of Pléiades that give a good idea what it is like in performance.

Photos of Xenakis often show him looking serious, occupational hazard for composers of serious music, I suppose. But I suggest this photo for the oferanda.

1604240906902.png

1604240471943.png

Last edited:
Day 1 - Dia de Los Muertos

On Dec 10, 1967, Otis was on his way to play his first show in Madison when his plane crashed into Lake Monona. I like to think that a little part of his spirit remains here.

5676FC5B-4C77-44A4-8965-EC07C0C607F2.jpeg
E05B620F-15D3-4E6E-B0D0-B70B27EAB64C.jpeg

There’s a memorial on the lakeshore that I like to visit semi-regularly. Here’s a random but cool pic of the dB’s next to it:

91B8A295-594B-4C69-82B9-BCF0C8C46F30.jpeg

Finally, here’s a pic of the concert poster. The unfortunately named Grim Reapers? A new band from nearby Rockford led by Rick Nielsen.

39D2C100-DA97-44B7-9AA2-888EB877628B.jpeg

Hey all,

I'll be your host for the November challenge! It's a big month - we start things off with the US presidential election and end with the start of the holiday season. If you've never participated in one of these before, I invite you to give it a go - the more participants we have, the more cool stuff we get to see. Similarly, if you lurk but don't post (we always seem to have a ton of guests online?), this is your "in" - join the community and show off your collection!

The Rules
These are pretty much the same as always:
  • For a given day, pick something that hasn't been played yet.
  • Any type of media is fair game.
  • Try not to post early, and if you get behind, feel free to catch up!
  • If you can't fit the theme, just make something up :D
The Themes

Day 2: Anticipation
It's Election Day in the US tomorrow. Feeling excited, hopeful, scared, all of the above? Play an album that reflects your mood.

Day 3: Election Day 🇺🇸
Play an album that's quintessentially American.

Day 4: The Aftermath
The election may or may not be decided. Either way, again, play an album that reflects your mood.

Day 5: Guy Fawkes Day
Play an album by a revolutionary artist.

Day 6: Adolphe Sax's Birthday
Play an album that features the saxophone.

Day 7: Midwest Represent
Play an album from an act that originated in one of the midwestern US states.

Day 8: Sound-Track Sunday
Play an album that that includes a track that's prominently featured in a film soundtrack.

Day 9: Great Lyrics
Play an album that's notable for its great lyrics.

Day 10: And Now for Something Completely Different...Pt. II
This a continuation of @Gavaxeman 's theme from September. Pick an album and show off some memorabilia related to it!

Day 11: Veteran's Day
If you know a veteran, play an album in their honor. Or, play an album from an artist who served.

Day 12: Still Fresh
Play an album that came out this year.

Day 13: World Kindness Day
Play an album from an artist known for their kindness/generosity. Bonus points if they've been kind to you personally.

Day 14: Every Other Day Is A-hole Day?
If there's a special kindness day, I guess that means every other day is asshole day. Play something from a noted asshole. Bonus points if they've been an asshole to you personally 😂.

Day 15: Clean Out Your Fridge Day
Play something that'd get you motivated for the task. Also, major bonus points if you actually do clean out your fridge (pics or it didn't happen).

Day 16: They're Huge Where I'm From
Play an act that was/is huge in your hometown, or specifically with your group of friends, or just with you - but that really hasn't been as big in the greater musical world.

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Day 19: A Big Production
Play an album that was produced by a big name producer.

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying.

Day 21: Younger You
Now, play an album that younger you is responsible for.

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Day 23: A Classic Monday
Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic.

Day 24: Changing Weather
Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).

Day 25: Turkey Bowl
Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).

Day 26: Thanksgiving
What are you thankful for? Express it with music.

Day 27: Black Friday
Play something you got in a Black Friday sale or for Black Friday RSD.

Day 28: Christmastime
Okay, you're in the clear, it's that time of year - play a Christmas album.

Day 29: Treat Yo'self
A lot's happened this month, and you just made it through the holidays in a pandemic. Play something just for you, even if it annoys those around you.

Day 30: One Month To Go
Play an album that's helped you get through 2020.
Ok. Day 1 has to be "A Love Supreme" , but the slightly less often heard 1965 live version. The picture has to be this one of him laughing: there's so many of him looking serious, but he must have had a laugh. This isn't an obvious choice for the day of the dead, when I listen to this album, I can hear him thinking and he's still alive to me.ha2aYtfhOAVbvZSYI31TZ983J2Fb5TH9l_AZV2Tl7ZU.jpg

Last edited:

B.B. King - Live In Cook County Jail

The picture I would use is also this album cover. I think it perfectly exemplifies B.B. and his playing.

B.B. King.jpg

I was going for Stevie Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990), but this is the only vinyl I have with him, so it will also pay tribute to Albert King (April 25, 1923 – December 21, 1992).

View attachment 72957

View attachment 72959

Patroness of Musicians

View attachment 72958

View attachment 72960
This photo of King playing his Flying V while smoking a pipe is one of the greatest rock n' roll shots I've ever seen.

Day 01: Dia de los Muertos
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
AFF59C93-B72B-4999-B88E-15AAC17F5B32.jpeg
Rest In Power (Trip) Riley Gale
BF2DA6DB-F705-4814-82B6-9268565ED98B.jpeg
Lots of sadness and loss in 2020 lead singer of Power Trip, Riley Gale’s passing was especially tough. The band felt like they were maybe one album away from becoming the face of Metal. Still grateful for the amazing music Riley made during his short time. 🤘

Back