November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Francis - Marathon

I think this one is headed for PIF. I'm trying to pare down my collection by getting rid of stuff I'm just not spinning.
I don't dislike it, but I haven't spun it in a couple years. Hopefully someone over in PIFland wants it!

20201122_105222.jpg

The Gloaming - The Gloaming (Real World Records, 2015 First Pressing)

This has been one that I have been trying to find for ages. Last year (around this time if I remember correctly) @Joe Mac chose The Gloaming as his ROTM and I was so blown away by it that I bought the full set as part of an online bundle offer. I loved listening to them and have been dropping them into my play pile throughout the year BUT I misplaced their first album (this one) and couldn't find it anywhere. Earlier today I pulled out some Christmas albums ready for the next few weeks and found it in amongst them, so I must have shelved it there by mistake. Still, means I can binge them again! While I won't be PIFing it, I certainly will be playing it a lot!

IMG_5322.JPG

Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Illegal Parking by Maja Ratkje and Lotta Melin

When I pulled this out all I recognized the name Maja Ratkje, a famous member of what I call the Norse Noise Scene. Anyway, now that I've listened to it, you're not getting it!

1606079131581.png

Past Lives - Tapestry Of Webs
E19D66D3-FAFB-4EAB-8ED5-938DFADEBC2F.jpeg
I had not spun this in quite a long while, it actually was much better than I remembered it being. For some reason I never gave it much listens compared to their earlier two EPs. This band was formed out of the breakup of The Blood Brothers (one of my obsession bands at the time) in 2007.

Nu uh. What do you think? You're the one that just listened to it : P
I put it on B side first, because I MUST have played the A side at one stage or another, and found it quite tuneful despite somebody (maybe Larry?) singing his wife's rather dubious poetry on one track. If anzbody jumps up and down shouting Memememe! I daresay I'll part with it, otherwise I think I'll hang on to it for a bit; I like Joe Beck's bass playing.

Day 23: A Classic Monday
Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic
Franz Liszt - Eine Faust-Sinfonie
Klaus Koenig, Rundfunkchor Leipzig, Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Kurt Masur.

This took a lot of choosing, but the orchestra that I'm in was supposed to play this in 21, now it's got cancelled because of the Covid restrictions. I tell you all truly, though, there is no other work of classical music that had such influence and is so little played today. If yDSCN0128.JPGou decide to listen to this, stay all the way to the end where the choir, ( who are supposed to walk on slowly with very thoughtful expressions!) come in.

Day 15: Clean Out Your Fridge Day
Play something that'd get you motivated for the task. Also, major bonus points if you actually do clean out your fridge (pics or it didn't happen).

Girl Talk - All Day

I will NOT be cleaning out the fridge today. As a matter of fact, we just added $300 of Costco groceries in there and I went and grabbed another $311 of "Christmas Present Beer" and squeezed it in there. So, I'm not touching that thing. BUT, if I were to clean it I'd play this album.

This newest press went on sale while I was waiting at a car dealership and the first run sold out in 30 minutes. I was able to snag both this and Feed The Animals. Illegal Art contacted me and told me that they were not happy with how damaged the record sleeves showed up from the warehouse, so I could either wait for the next run (early next year) or I could take the damaged sleeve run and get $5 to $10 off each album.
Of course I took the "Gimme NOW" option. The records arrived and they sound amazing & the sleeves barely have a bent corner. Nothing I haven't put up with from Target or Amazon. So, I emailed them back letting them know they sound/look great and I wouldn't need any money off. I appreciate an honest business. Good on those guys.

IMG_1099[2376].JPG

Day 16: They're Huge Where I'm From
Play an act that was/is huge in your hometown, or specifically with your group of friends, or just with you - but that really hasn't been as big in the greater musical world.

Capture the Flag - Walking Away From Everything

These guys were high school friends and I still see the drummer fairly often. Last time I was at at his place he gave me this test pressing of their second album. I think it's their second, I don't remember. I never really got into Jeff's vocals when I was younger, but listening to it now, it's better than I remember. Shit, it was just cool to have friends that were playing at the local venues that we saw bands like Weezer and Rancid playing at. My favorite Capture the Flag show was when they opened for The Weakerthans at The Shelter.

R-5954747-1508904730-6265.jpeg.jpgIMG_1101[2378].JPG

Day 23: A Classic Monday - Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic.

Nas with National Symphony Orchestra - Illmatic (Live From The Kennedy Center)

I'm gonna cover both with this one. Illmatic is an undisputed classic and this recording was with the National Symphony Orchestra. Easily one of my favorite live albums of all time, the NSO really brings the production on this album to life!

Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic.

Stimmung by Karlheinz Stockhausen​

I think a lot of people here might enjoy this. It's Stockhausen's easy listening from 1968. Mood music including plenty of the composer's hippidippy pantheistic mysticism. An hour of intimate overtone vocalizations, mostly with fun rhythms and familiar tonality. And the composition and performance technique are genuinely interesting and adaptable and allows great variation among performances. Try before you buy with this youtube. Good material for a focused session with your headphones.

I have the Gregory Rose Singcircle CD and the Paul Hillier Theater of Voices CD. Can't go wrong with either. Singcircle is perhaps more libidinal and bold. Theater is available in Spotify and Tidal. I don't recommend listening on vinyl. I don't know the older Collegium Vocale Köln recording.

1606151394285.png1606151527915.png

If I got my history right, I first heard this in 1978 in a live BBC broadcast of Singcircle at the Proms.

Day 23 - A Classic Monday

CSO playing Bartok. Great recording, and really odd album art that’s like a pencil drawing, but has an actual pair of glasses superimposed on Reiner. I guess the artist just couldn’t handle drawing glasses? Or Reiner saw the drawing and said “glasses me or GTFO”?? 😂

568A619C-217E-4D3E-B44F-DC8E07235E67.jpeg

Play a classical music LP. Don't have one? Play an undisputed classic.
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra - Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies
C2F6A3A2-E9EC-49AF-97ED-EBC9A004141E.jpeg
My SO is a classically trained clarinetist and has a BA in Music. One of her favorite past times while patiently waiting on me to comb through the stacks at our local record store for like a third time is digging through the bargain bins looking for Classical albums. Most the box or jackets are a bit beat up but the records usually sound quite good. This is a good example a 1972 recording of the Pittsburgh Symphony play all 9 of Beethoven’s symphonies over a 7xLP set. I think she may have paid $5 for it and listening to it now I can say it sounds pretty spectacular. I don’t spend much time with Classical music but this is a welcome change of pace. Seems like something that would be about perfect listening to cheer me up on a work day during these dreary winter months.

Peter Ind & Bernie Cash - Contra-Bach (Wave, 1970 First Signed Pressing)

This is a jazz/classical hybrid so hopefully it counts. Peter Ind is an extremely underrated bassist in my opinion even though he played and contributed on albums by big names such as Jutta Hipp and Lee Konitz. He went on to set up his own label, Wave, and released albums such as this. On Contra-Bass he teams up with Bernie Cash to play pieces by Bach. Peter is still playing at 92 years of age and recently set up a youtube and instagram page!

IMG_5339.JPG

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

Shovels & Rope - Predecessors

The song covered in question here is Judy Is A Punk originally by Ramones. It’s on the Archives disc of the set and sounds like it was recorded on a TalkBoy®️. I think the shitty quality of the recording adds to the feeling of the cover, though.
42ADE6A6-37B7-4EAA-AECF-F10D9AB6908F.jpegC1AD8E47-7A63-496D-A265-CA8C448A4E49.jpeg

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

I do really really.......really miss live music. I’ve told my girlfriend that the first thing I’m doing when gatherings are permitted is going to a live show. It doesn’t matter if it’s Joe Nothing and his Wild Accordian Revue, I’ll fucking be there watching Joe squeeze that thing!

I’ve used this album before for one of these things, but I’ve gotta use what fits, right? The album is amazing and Titus Andronicus is amazing live.
C32B2C36-D42B-4B70-8D2A-688807068A90.jpegA672D6B7-CC7A-431A-8DE4-0BFB1644F1F4.jpeg
No pic Only Vid
Here’s a clip from when I saw them at the UFO Factory in Detroit. A tiny 200 person venue with amazing hot dogs.

I’m not really happy with my current setup, but it is what it is. I moved a bunch of stuff to fit the Christmas tree and a Christmas Village in the apartment. So, now the turntable is sitting precariously on a small end table near the stereo. The things you do for love.

Day 23: Just Another Classic Monday

My classical selection is very light, this was the best I could come up with without going and raiding my sons collection. It is nice to hear Pachelbel Canon to kick this off though. I wonder if there was a classical version of Pitchfork in the 1720s that made lists like this. More likely just people with pitchforks campaigning for their favorite song...

Greatest His of 1720
1606196302061.png

Back