November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.
Sonic Youth - Dirty
98E709C7-78D8-4507-A748-E51ABA35A934.jpeg
I own Dirty on wax and cassette. What I do not own (but wish I did) is The Carpenters tribute album, If I were a Carpenter. My Mother was a giant Carpenters fan, so much so I was able to persuade her into buying a copy of If I Were a Carpenter CD back in the day. It is a great comp and one that turned me on to The Carpenters as a group and part of that was due to Sonic Youth's cover over “Superstar”.

Last edited:
Day 17 - Surprising Cover Song

Nina does a version of Hall and Oates’ Rich Girl on this LP. I was spinning this last month and my wife said, “wait, is this originally a Nina Simone song?” - and thus, the idea for this theme was born. I think the surprise here is more the chronology since Nina is typically viewed as a 60s artist (she did this in 78, just a year after the original was a hit).

89062EE8-A608-4F68-BD4F-214A208A622D.jpeg

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.
Sonic Youth - Dirty
View attachment 75182
I own Dirty on wax and cassette. What I do not own (but wish I did) was The Carpenters tribute album, If I were a Carpenter. My Mother was a giant Carpenters fan, so much so I was able to persuade her into buying a copy of If I Were a Carpenter CD back in the day. It is a great comp and one that turned me on to The Carpenters as a group and part of that was due to Sonic Youths cover over “Superstar”.

Is that the one with Yesterday Once More by Redd Kross? I rather randomly got that as a teenager (coming from the UK in the 90s the Carpenters basically meant nothing to me) and enjoyed it a lot too.

Day 16: They’re Huge Where I’m From

So... I’m not all that familiar with any musicians or bands from Edmonton. Even the bigger names (k.d. lang, Mac DeMarco, Purity Ring) I’m not as familiar with their music as I want to be. So instead, I’m playing a group that, while they’re not local, I’m really into their music and I wish they were much bigger than they are right now!

Emotional Oranges - The Juice, Vol. 1

336605ED-508B-4B2D-B836-01EC435294A3.jpeg

Still one of my favourite albums of last year!

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song - Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

Nirvana - Nirvana

Nirvana covering a David Bowie song has got to be one of the most surprising covers I've ever heard. And they were able to take the song and make it their own. As a kid of the 90s/00s I honestly didn't even know it was a cover until recently 🙈 haha

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.
Kesto (234.48:4) by Pan Sonic

I really miss Pan Sonic live. If the house PA can do the sub-bass and they explot it, oh man, your gf may be satisfied before you can get to the task. I twice saw them in their heydays, one of those times serving as driver around town. Pan Sonic was a huge influence on me and I guess that shows on the two Blood Money CDs. Jon Whitney, of that trio trio, wrote this excellent review of Kesto. This 4-CD set is superb.

1605709163826.png

If you're unfamilliar, just listen to Disk 1 Track 1 Rahina i, it's under 3 minutes long. Play it as loud as possible, headhphones will do.

And here's a Brainwashed "The Eye" feature Jon made about Pan Sonic including an interview with Mika Vainio.

Last edited:
Day 18: I Miss Live Music Pt II

I've got 3 sets of Pearl Jam tix gathering dust. I live close to one of the venues, and every time I drive by the ticketmaster reminder comes up. I've been extremely lucky with my 10club tix moving me up each time. Pics are from the last time they played San Diego (2013!) when I got GA pit tix. The energy and community at PJ shows are amazing, made a bunch of good friends through them.

Pearl Jam ~ Live at Third Man Records

1605718552200.png

1605718729169.png
1605718760842.png

A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.
Real Estate - Real Estate
20B16F41-B770-457F-A373-99E35F5B42E8.jpeg
We saw Real Estate back in May of last year at a relatively new and completely wonderful Tacoma venue called Fawcett Hall. Another bummer of of the Pandemic in Tacoma was that we had just started to add some great live venues that were drawing quality national acts. I hope they are able to survive 2020 and make a comeback.
02D1C590-DAF9-490A-AED1-7428F6C3009F.jpeg

2783535C-490B-4A32-B19A-69FA13DDA19C.jpeg

Day 16 - They're not Huge Where I'm From
Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers For Dissapointment

Hard category for me. I'm not into much SC music and the ones I like I don't have any albums of. So, going with music my friends and I were into that other people weren't, ska punk in general fits that bill. I need to get more on vinyl.

PXL_20201118_173218547.jpg

Einstuerzende Neubauten - Alles Wieder Offen

Once again, there were many contenders for this one, but I wanted to find something that would show what for me is the biggest thrill of live music; simply going out to see something because you're a bit curious and then getting blown away by it. I can't wait for that to come back.

DSCN0122.JPG

Day 18 - I miss live music pt II

I saw Mitski live twice. The first time was in a small bar before she was big - she was probably what I’d call a reserved performer. The second time, it was a bigger venue and she was a big name - she was a totally different performer with whole dance/performance art type routine. Pretty cool to see her progression - the only artist I’ve seen that was so different the second time.

20FE36B2-4453-4D7D-80F9-B4161A43B0A6.jpeg

Day 18 - I Miss Live Music 2: Electric Boogaloo
Mdou Moctar - Ilana, The Creator

Even though this show was pretty dead when he came through town, his performance was amazing. I don't think they quite captured their live energy on this record even though it's great. Really looking forward to the next one as the new single rocks.

PXL_20201118_190513482.jpg

Day 16: They're Huge Where I'm From
Play an act that was/is huge in your hometown, or specifically with your group of friends, or just with you - but that really hasn't been as big in the greater musical world.

I feel like I'm cheating as I don't have any of their music on physical media.
I remember their first gigs at my high school's yard.

86C3F8C6-1D46-4ED1-BDEF-C90593B529E2.jpeg

EDIT: I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I can't embed the Spotify playlist.

Back