New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

200.gif

In general, I'm extremely dubious of Kickstarters, but this project appears to have the transparency of legitimacy. If they do hit the market in the fall at $350-400, this would be very appealing.

In general, I'm extremely dubious of Kickstarters, but this project appears to have the transparency of legitimacy. If they do hit the market in the fall at $350-400, this would be very appealing.
A few of us are in on it so…stay tuned.

I'm going to be interested to see what its price-point will be when it hits the market. My sense from the campaign, and one of the reasons I decided to buy in, was that the price being offered was not only a very good one, but fleeting. It would be great if they maintained a sub-$400 price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being higher.

Last edited:
I'm going to be interested to see what it's price-point will be when it hits the market. My sense from the campaign, and one of the reasons I decided to buy in, was that the price being offered was not only a very good one, but fleeting. It would be great if they maintained a sub-$400 price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being higher.
I wanna say they advertised it as only a little higher than the Kickstarter price and then pulled it from their site. I believe you could preorder it from their site for a little bit after the Kickstarter. But I’m guessing that some things cost more than they anticipated so wouldn’t be shocked if they raise the price when it goes back on sale.

I wanna say they advertised it as only a little higher than the Kickstarter price and then pulled it from their site. I believe you could preorder it from their site for a little bit after the Kickstarter. But I’m guessing that some things cost more than they anticipated so wouldn’t be shocked if they raise the price when it goes back on sale.
I’m guessing stuff like microcontroller acquisition and shipping ended up costing more than estimates thanks to COVID.

I'm anxiously awaiting everyone's feedback once these are out there! If they can keep it around $500 or lower I would probably be all over it, assuming the reviews are positive.

Hmm, speaking of cleaners, I just noticed this cleaner on eBay and it seems too cheap...
Looks like someone has bought one of the generic cleaning beds and made up their own record spinner. A few folk have done this: there is a guy on the Hifi Wigwam forum that sells his version. The method is the same as the Humminguru, but I think the quality and feature set will be a lot better on the HG.

Looks like someone has bought one of the generic cleaning beds and made up their own record spinner. A few folk have done this: there is a guy on the Hifi Wigwam forum that sells his version. The method is the same as the Humminguru, but I think the quality and feature set will be a lot better on the HG.

Yeah those homebrew ones that attach to the medical grade ultrasonic will clean beautifully, but it’s very user intensive and doesn’t dry. The joy of a built solution like the huminguru is that you press a button and when it beeps a few minutes later you have a clean and dry record.

Yeah those homebrew ones that attach to the medical grade ultrasonic will clean beautifully, but it’s very user intensive and doesn’t dry. The joy of a built solution like the huminguru is that you press a button and when it beeps a few minutes later you have a clean and dry record.
Good shout on the drying - I'm not a backer of the HG, so didn't fully know the features.

I had been considering on of the Heath-Robinson ultrasonics, but went for the Pro-Ject in the eBay deal. If the HG proves itself I may get one when mine dies on me.

I'm going to be interested to see what its price-point will be when it hits the market. My sense from the campaign, and one of the reasons I decided to buy in, was that the price being offered was not only a very good one, but fleeting. It would be great if they maintained a sub-$400 price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being higher.
Even if the price jumps up to $1K that's a deal compared to the market. At $700 it takes on the VPI, Project and Okki Nokki price point.

At $400, I'd imagine they'd be extremely competitive assuming it's reliable and runs smoothly. But that's actually so low that I think a lot of people would question quality before they even looked at it. But reviews could potentially overcome that.

Back