New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

espendo

Hi all,

There's a Kickstarter campaign for this new and very cheap (in comparable terms) ultrasound vinyl cleaner that ends in a few days:

I'm very intrigued by this. Several members on the foremost Norwegian hifi-forum has pledged on it and they are way beyond their target goal. The company seems legit, although there's always a risk with crowdfunding of course.

In terms of hardware and functioning it looks a lot like a stripped down version of the Degritter which is very expensive, about ten times the price here in Norway.

This has been discussed in some depth in the Record Cleaning Thread. If you look there, you will see others have backed it as well.

Great, I searched for it but didn't find any threads, must have used the wrong term. I'll delete this thread.

We discussed it last week in the RCM thread. I know @BazookaTooth and @Joe Mac participated in this KS. At this point they probably won't have much more to say but it looks like an interesting machine.
Agreed. I've a project vc-s2 that I'm really happy with the results from but it absolutely traumatises the dog so was seriously considering getting on this as a relatively similarly costed (and less collie scaring) alternative

I had this discussion with @BazookaTooth (sorry for tagging you again) and it seems that they are adding a filtre on both water and air side, which was one of my main concerns with this system (don't want to waste liters of water to clean records):

1611655726858.png

Agreed. I've a project vc-s2 that I'm really happy with the results from but it absolutely traumatises the dog so was seriously considering getting on this as a relatively similarly costed (and less collie scaring) alternative
That's funny. I have an Okki Nokki, which is loud-ish when it dries. One of my dogs goes nuts at the vacuum cleaner. First trying to mentally dominate it by barking. Then trying to physically dominate it by biting. But never made an issue w/ the RCM - probably cause the vacuum also moves.

I had this discussion with @BazookaTooth (sorry for tagging you again) and it seems that they are adding a filtre on both water and air side, which was one of my main concerns with this system (don't want to waste liters of water to clean records):

View attachment 85341
Do you have to use distilled water? I live in a hard water area so a bit dubious about filling from the tap

View attachment 85341
Oh that's cool re: the filter. I seriously considered the KS but, given that the full retail won't be that much more than the KS, it's worth letting others be the guinea pigs.

That's funny. I have an Okki Nokki, which is loud-ish when it dries. One of my dogs goes nuts at the vacuum cleaner. First trying to mentally dominate it by barking. Then trying to physically dominate it by biting. But never made an issue w/ the RCM - probably cause the vacuum also moves.
No domination here. He legs it as soon as the vacuum starts. I usually find him under a bed somewhere so have taken to cleaning in batches when he's visiting my parents.

Poor little crazy collie

No domination here. He legs it as soon as the vacuum starts. I usually find him under a bed somewhere so have taken to cleaning in batches when he's visiting my parents.

Poor little crazy collie
Oooh...that's rough. My oldest dog (lab) will sometimes snip at the vacuum...but usually only if I move it back and forth in front of her playfully. But my 8lb Chihuahua will go all Sarah Connor on it.

Do you have to use distilled water? I live in a hard water area so a bit dubious about filling from the tap
Oh that's cool re: the filter. I seriously considered the KS but, given that the full retail won't be that much more than the KS, it's worth letting others be the guinea pigs.

They say you can use either but I would go with distilled water as I have the same issue as you with tap water. I backed the project, the tank has a 350ml capacity and didn't wanted to use that amount of water to clean records. If 1L allows to wash about 50 records I am ok with it. 10min is a bit long for a deep cleaning but some of my records will need it. With it backed, now let's see where I can have a deal on premium inner sleeves.

I don’t know! Ultrasonic could traumatise the dog worse and you won’t know because the frequency is too high for you to hear 😂

Yes. Should always use distilled records with any cleaner and records because the minerals in tap water can scratch and/or get embedded in the vinyl and cause noise. The filter for this is after the wash to take out contaminants before it drains into the measuring cup so you can re-use the water.

Poor little crazy collie

Poor collies. They’re too clever for their own good! This is why I like bat shit crazy terriers!

Yes. Should always use distilled records with any cleaner and records because the minerals in tap water can scratch and/or get embedded in the vinyl and cause noise. The filter for this is after the wash to take out contaminants before it drains into the measuring cup so you can re-use the water.

That's great if this is implemented. Otherwise there will be a lot of cans of distilled water...

That's great if this is implemented. Otherwise there will be a lot of cans of distilled water...

Yeah it’s a good idea but to be honest I pay €4.50 for 5 litres of de ionised water so I’m not hugely panicked either way. Happier about the air filter on the intake for the drying fans, fhat really is essential!

Oooh...that's rough. My oldest dog (lab) will sometimes snip at the vacuum...but usually only if I move it back and forth in front of her playfully. But my 8lb Chihuahua will go all Sarah Connor on it.
My dog's actually OK with my Pro-Ject. Another dog on the TV is a whole different story, however...

Back