New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

@Ed Selley reviewed it recently and seemed to be taken by it. It’s probably still too new for anyone outside reviewers here to have heard it in person.

“Cons: probably sold out already” 🤣

What is the release date on the NAD C3050? It’s purdy and you guys all seem to like NAD and it’s not a huge stretch budget wise.it should also push whatever I get down the line speaker wise.

The rumour is June and the difference to the LE is veneer rather than wood and no blueOS module, which you can add back in if you want. Will be a little cheaper, £1299 is the UK price.

The rumour is June and the difference to the LE is veneer rather than wood and no blueOS module, which you can add back in if you want. Will be a little cheaper, £1299 is the UK price.
There actually IS a Bluos module unit, my friend ordered it. Initially it appeared it was only an add on but they are selling a version of the unit with it installed along with the DIRAC as well apparently.

There actually IS a Bluos module unit, my friend ordered it. Initially it appeared it was only an add on but they are selling a version of the unit with it installed along with the DIRAC as well apparently.

Yeah it’s £600 more here. The whole build of the amp is modular though so buying it separate and installing it later is essentially the same thing as the factory having done it if you were on the edge of budget but liked the idea of it eventually.

Yea mine is definitely loud and sometimes squeaky. I have ended up moving it into a bathroom when I clean records and closing the door. No clue how some people say they can use it in the same room while listening to a record.

It’s nowhere near as loud as my VPI record cleaner but that was a pretty short lasting sound since it only went a few rotations.
So yours is sometimes squeaky? @jt4527 mentioned a high pitched squeal sometimes as well. It’s happening on every record for me. It just seems like that is how it’s supposed to work since it has been consistent, but maybe it’s not? Do other people just have this sometimes?

I've been contemplating getting a Humminguru as I've been intrigued about ultrasonic cleaning ever since I got the VPI. I thought about doing the whole DIY thing many times. Prior to the VPI, I just cleaned records by hand using the sink and dent puller method - which I still do for those really dirty used records - with a final wash/dry on the VPI.

Not sure I can convince the wife I need another thing to clean records, though....and I have no issues with using the VPI.

For those that have already have a Record Cleaning Machine, does having a Ultrasonic machine keep you from using the RCM, or do you still use it along with the Ultrasonic? Do you use one or the other for releases that need a specific type of cleaning?

In my case, I don't clean new records unless they need it. If they are visibly dirty or if they have some sonic issue that sounds like a cleaning would fix.

Last edited:
I've been contemplating getting a Humminguru as I've been intrigued about ultrasonic cleaning ever since I got the VPI. I thought about doing the whole DIY thing many times. Prior to the VPI, I just cleaned records by hand using the sink and dent puller method - which I still do for those really dirty used records - with a final wash/dry on the VPI.

Not sure I can convince the wife I need another thing to clean records, though....and I have no issues with using the VPI.

For those that have already have a Record Cleaning Machine, does having a Ultrasonic machine keep you from using the RCM, or do you still use it along with the Ultrasonic? Do you use one or the other for releases that need a specific type of cleaning?

In my case, I don't clean new records unless they need it. If they are visibly dirty or if they have some sonic issue that sounds like a cleaning would fix.
I almost never use my VPI anymore. The HG is so much easier to use and makes me actually clean records more. The HG fits in a kallax shelf and is very lightweight.

So yours is sometimes squeaky? @jt4527 mentioned a high pitched squeal sometimes as well. It’s happening on every record for me. It just seems like that is how it’s supposed to work since it has been consistent, but maybe it’s not? Do other people just have this sometimes?
Mine “squeaks” like 9/10 times. The high pitched noise is just the ultrasonic I think…

There’s the super-high pitched squeal that is normal, and there’s a lower pitched shriek that sounds like nails on a chalkboard that only happens on some records.
Yea it’s a toss up for the nails on chalkboard noise for mine. But it’s ok because I just put it in another room. Still not as loud as my VPI

I've never used my vacuum record cleaner since the arrival of my HG. If I had a record dirty enough that I didn't want to put it in the HG, I'd just use a cloth and some solution to get the major dirt off of the record, then pop it in the HG. Also, I'm not sure I understand one of your questions about "releases that need a specific type of cleaning?". If you're referring to new releases, I assume the same type of cleaning should work for all of them. If your question was more about relatively clean (as in new) vs dirty (as in some thrift/garage sale purchases), see above.

I also don't clean all of my new records, mostly because there are too many of the damn things to clean given my general reluctance to make that effort. But any records for which best possible sound quality during playback is my goal will enjoy the refreshing bath of the HG, and only then will they be played on my (presumably) better turntable. My experience with the HG has been that there are benefits to using it that wouldn't be realized if I only used it because a record was clearly dirty or had a sonic issue. Records that have seemed perfectly clean (and/or already been cleaned by other methods) and sounded quite good have sounded even better after the HG.

Last edited:
Yea it’s a toss up for the nails on chalkboard noise for mine. But it’s ok because I just put it in another room. Still not as loud as my VPI
Yeah, I legitimately thought I might be damaging my hearing with the Home Depot Buckethead shop vac I originally used with my Squeaky Clean. I got a nicer Dewalt that was less strident, but I’d firmly place the Humminguru in the ‘annoying’ category rather than ‘enjoy hearing loss.’

Yeah, I legitimately thought I might be damaging my hearing with the Home Depot Buckethead shop vac I originally used with my Squeaky Clean. I got a nicer Dewalt that was less strident, but I’d firmly place the Humminguru in the ‘annoying’ category rather than ‘enjoy hearing loss.’
Plus you can walk away from the HumminGuru while it's doing its thing. Not so with the Squeaky Clean. That's a bonus not only for the ears, but also multi-tasking!

Back