New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Not sure it’s resolve or laziness.
I generally pop new records in for a 2 minute clean cycle, unless they looked particularly grody coming out of the sleeve. It’s so low-effort with the HG. The most annoying part is filtering the water back into the tank from the reservoir.

I generally pop new records in for a 2 minute clean cycle, unless they looked particularly grody coming out of the sleeve. It’s so low-effort with the HG. The most annoying part is filtering the water back into the tank from the reservoir.
So do you just keep your HG 'loaded' and ready to roll? For me, the setup is a whole thing I have to build up to, and once I start, I devote pretty much the whole day to the cleaning effort. I usually shoot for cleaning 25-30 pieces each cleaning session, but I only do that, at best, once a month.

So do you just keep your HG 'loaded' and ready to roll? For me, the setup is a whole thing I have to build up to, and once I start, I devote pretty much the whole day to the cleaning effort. I usually shoot for cleaning 25-30 pieces each cleaning session, but I only do that, at best, once a month.
Yes, I generally keep mine loaded. I will change the water after 10 records or a week sitting idle, whichever comes first.

Yes, I generally keep mine loaded. I will change the water after 10 records or a week sitting idle, whichever comes first.
Yeah, I’ll keep water in the reservoir a few days at a time. I’ll toss it if it’s been unused for a little while, and periodically scrub out the reservoir to remove any buildup. But I’ve gotten to the point where if I’m getting ready for a listening session, and I know some of the records have never been through the ultrasonic, I’ll throw them on a 2-minute cycle before playing, so it sees pretty regular use.

Yeah, I’ll keep water in the reservoir a few days at a time. I’ll toss it if it’s been unused for a little while, and periodically scrub out the reservoir to remove any buildup. But I’ve gotten to the point where if I’m getting ready for a listening session, and I know some of the records have never been through the ultrasonic, I’ll throw them on a 2-minute cycle before playing, so it sees pretty regular use.
These sound like good ideas. Might have to make some changes to my approach!

I've been contemplating getting a Humminguru as I've been intrigued about ultrasonic cleaning ever since I got the VPI. I thought about doing the whole DIY thing many times. Prior to the VPI, I just cleaned records by hand using the sink and dent puller method - which I still do for those really dirty used records - with a final wash/dry on the VPI.

Not sure I can convince the wife I need another thing to clean records, though....and I have no issues with using the VPI.

For those that have already have a Record Cleaning Machine, does having a Ultrasonic machine keep you from using the RCM, or do you still use it along with the Ultrasonic? Do you use one or the other for releases that need a specific type of cleaning?

In my case, I don't clean new records unless they need it. If they are visibly dirty or if they have some sonic issue that sounds like a cleaning would fix.
After I got the Humminguru, I stopped using my Record Doctor and eventually sold it.

same same. i have my HG and a gallon of pre-mixed distilled water + tergitol sitting around.

annoyingly, my little water tank cracked. so i'll have to order a new one. hopefully they have it at TTL. I might just buy 2 to have a spare.

same same. i have my HG and a gallon of pre-mixed distilled water + tergitol sitting around.

annoyingly, my little water tank cracked. so i'll have to order a new one. hopefully they have it at TTL. I might just buy 2 to have a spare.
I seem to recall a previous discussion about the merits of having a spare water tank, which seemed unnecessary. Now we know...

Hi guys - I got an HG July 2022 and I just had my first problem with it tonight. I put 1 record through 2 of the 5 minute clean cycles. I took it out, put another record in, and tried to start another 5 minute cycle. It started normally for like half a second, then stopped and the white lights on the control panel dimmed to about 50% and there was a faint high-pitched ultrasonic-y sound coming from the machine. I can hit the center button (it turns red) and then hold down the center button to reset it. The drain cycle still works, but the manual and auto cleaning cycles do the same half-second shutoff every time.

Has anyone encountered this before? It's still under warranty so I can go to HG and ask for help, but wanted to check here first. Thanks!

I need a new motor for my Vevor, the little one that spins the rekkids. Only $11 but ships from China, so a couple weeks… :/

Hi guys - I got an HG July 2022 and I just had my first problem with it tonight. I put 1 record through 2 of the 5 minute clean cycles. I took it out, put another record in, and tried to start another 5 minute cycle. It started normally for like half a second, then stopped and the white lights on the control panel dimmed to about 50% and there was a faint high-pitched ultrasonic-y sound coming from the machine. I can hit the center button (it turns red) and then hold down the center button to reset it. The drain cycle still works, but the manual and auto cleaning cycles do the same half-second shutoff every time.

Has anyone encountered this before? It's still under warranty so I can go to HG and ask for help, but wanted to check here first. Thanks!
did you drain/dry between the wash cycles? i've had that issue a few times before where water was left in the tank for awhile and i tried to start a cycle. i drained the water, powered it off and unplugged it, then it worked fine.

I just went through the same issue, contacted poster folsom_lives as he posted the same issues earlier in the thread. Send an email to HG, they will respond (keep in mind the 12 hour difference, their business hours are M-F 10am-6pm their time). They sent me a new PCB and instructions, fairly straight forward. Cured my issues (don't bother with the temp sensor short unless required).

I invited you to the conversation I had with folsom, feel free to ask any questions. Pretty simple fix. You will need a #1 Phillips head screwdriver (skinny shaft) to remove the bottom plate. China will send you 2 pdfs, one for bottom plate removal and one for PCB. I can upload here also.

Edit: folsom_lives first documented his issue here: #1,557 You can scroll through the thread reading his posts if it helps.

Last edited:
I just went through the same issue, contacted poster folsom_lives as he posted the same issues earlier in the thread. Send an email to HG, they will respond (keep in mind the 12 hour difference, their business hours are M-F 10am-6pm their time). They sent me a new PCB and instructions, fairly straight forward. Cured my issues (don't bother with the temp sensor short unless required).

I invited you to the conversation I had with folsom, feel free to ask any questions. Pretty simple fix. You will need a #1 Phillips head screwdriver (skinny shaft) to remove the bottom plate. China will send you 2 pdfs, one for bottom plate removal and one for PCB. I can upload here also.

Edit: folsom_lives first documented his issue here: #1,557 You can scroll through the thread reading his posts if it helps.
Thank you!!! I will email their support now.

Just to follow up, HG sent me a new board and after installing it, the machine can run clean cycles as normal. Thanks again for your help with this @firedownunder!

I noticed after using the fixed HG for a couple of days that the really high-pitched/dental drill sound that it makes during cleaning wasn't there anymore. I sent HG a video and hopefully they can diagnose if it's a problem. I feel like if it's not making that high-pitched sound it's not doing anything "ultrasonic" but idk.

Just to follow up, HG sent me a new board and after installing it, the machine can run clean cycles as normal. Thanks again for your help with this @firedownunder!

I noticed after using the fixed HG for a couple of days that the really high-pitched/dental drill sound that it makes during cleaning wasn't there anymore. I sent HG a video and hopefully they can diagnose if it's a problem. I feel like if it's not making that high-pitched sound it's not doing anything "ultrasonic" but idk.
By definition if you can hear it, it isn't ultrasonic. Seems like there is a good variation between audible noise levels from machine to machine. You might be able to feel if it is working if you stick your finger in the water while running.

I've noticed that sound varies from record to record, so I don't think its absence is inherently an issue.

Really glad you got your unit fixed up!

Hmm, I seem to have a proper problem suddenly. The machine just won't turn a disc. I've tried replacing the wheels but it still makes a puny sound. Everything else seems to work. Just doesn't seem to power the motor to turn it all. Only posting in case anybody else had a similar problem. (I feel like the other problems I've read here have been different).

Back