New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

De ionised doesn’t either. They’re removed by an electrolysis type procedure. It’s fine. In winter we approach the high 90s in humidity, everything right down to your washing is bastard to full dry. I just wipe off any remaining spots with a clean microfibre cloth.
I’m thinking that the spots on those records is coming from re-deposited minerals from the grooves versus coming from the deionized water or G-Sonic.

“An analysis of the "dust" removed from a number of stylus tips, which had been used on dirty records, showed that it consisted of approximately; 12% jagged silica particles, 35% diamond dust, 40% miscellaneous particles, including soot, grit and particles worn from the record groove itself. The remaining 13% consisted of fibers and lint.”

It may not really matter from a practical standpoint, just curious about what’s going on.

Anyone have issues with the clean button just not working? Dry button is fine, clean just won’t turn on - neither on auto or clean setting.

First time I’ve had any issues with this machine.
Yup. This was my issue and it turned out to be a failed water temp sensor that was ultimately a super easy fix. But they will walk you through about 5 other steps with back and forth emails. They are very good and include pictures. Unfortunately you are catching them in the middle of Chinese New Year so don't expect a very prompt reply.

Anyone have issues with the clean button just not working? Dry button is fine, clean just won’t turn on - neither on auto or clean setting.

First time I’ve had any issues with this machine.
Does it turn red? I’ve had a few times where the machine stutters when I do a wet cycle. I press the dry button to let the water drain and unplug it for a minute or two then put the water back in and it works

Does it turn red? I’ve had a few times where the machine stutters when I do a wet cycle. I press the dry button to let the water drain and unplug it for a minute or two then put the water back in and it works
Nope, just blinks like it normally does.

I truly appreciate everyone’s advice here. I am going to put in an order. Are there any replacement parts that I should get along with the main unit. I heard one person suggest getting a second tank so you can do a cleaning with distilled water and a chemical of your choice, and then a second Rinse cycle with the second tank that is just plain distilled water. I don’t know how it all works yet but it seems to me like the water and chemical would end up in more places than just the tank and so your rinse cycle tank would end up with a even more diluted version of the chemical tanks contents and then…..what is the point and where does it all end ! lol. But otherwise, replacement filters, the general maintenance kit with replacement wheels…. Any of this worthwhile getting at the time of initial purchase?

My cleaner came with some replacement filters for the tank and some for the air intake, and also 4 replacement wheels, which should cover any maintenance needs for a while. I've read that fish tank pump filter is good to buy when you need more for your water tank, so I'd look into that.

I think the two tank setup up for cleaning and rinsing would be overkill personally.

I truly appreciate everyone’s advice here. I am going to put in an order. Are there any replacement parts that I should get along with the main unit. I heard one person suggest getting a second tank so you can do a cleaning with distilled water and a chemical of your choice, and then a second Rinse cycle with the second tank that is just plain distilled water. I don’t know how it all works yet but it seems to me like the water and chemical would end up in more places than just the tank and so your rinse cycle tank would end up with a even more diluted version of the chemical tanks contents and then…..what is the point and where does it all end ! lol. But otherwise, replacement filters, the general maintenance kit with replacement wheels…. Any of this worthwhile getting at the time of initial purchase?
I haven’t needed to do a separate rinse cycle so a second tank might be much. I’d get replacement wheels. And for filters, as @jt4527 said, you can buy a roll of fish tank pump filter and cut it to size and fold it a few times.

I don't remember whether the unit comes with the 7" and 10" adapters as standard, or whether they are extra. If not standard, these might be worth considering if you will want to use the HG for either of these sized records. And I agree with others that a second tank isn't necessary.

I love the shiny rainbow patterns I get from a freshly ultrasonic-ed record! Wonder what causes that?...

So invigorating to know the physicists have a forum similar to ours to debate light diffraction trivia.

Is it better to order this through Amazon or direct from the manufacturer?

I’m thinking of adding this as a final step after cleaning with my VPI.

Didn’t know Amazon sold the Humminguru (if that’s what you’re talking about)…I ordered through the manufacturer way back in Kickstarter and most people I know who have the HG bought direct from the company but not sure price difference. More places seem to be selling from the US now.

Turntable Lab in the US does sell replacement parts though which might be useful info for people here.

I don’t think of the ultrasonic cleaning as a final step. It’s the only step, and for me at least, the whole point of it, beyond how well it cleans, is to minimize my labor. If I had to clean my record with my VPI, and then run it through the HG, I’d never clean my records.

I don’t think of the ultrasonic cleaning as a final step. It’s the only step, and for me at least, the whole point of it, beyond how well it cleans, is to minimize my labor. If I had to clean my record with my VPI, and then run it through the HG, I’d never clean my records.
I have an overly complex cleaning process currently. I’m thinking I can simplify cleaning by cutting it to two steps, with the VPI doing the scrubbing step and the HG doing the rinsing and drying.

And then if I’m lucky the HG can be elevated to being the only step on most records. But I’d rather keep my expectations low to start.

Didn’t know Amazon sold the Humminguru (if that’s what you’re talking about)…I ordered through the manufacturer way back in Kickstarter and most people I know who have the HG bought direct from the company but not sure price difference. More places seem to be selling from the US now.

Turntable Lab in the US does sell replacement parts though which might be useful info for people here.
Amazon sells it, and ships faster, but it’s cheaper through HG.

I have an overly complex cleaning process currently. I’m thinking I can simplify cleaning by cutting it to two steps, with the VPI doing the scrubbing step and the HG doing the rinsing and drying.

And then if I’m lucky the HG can be elevated to being the only step on most records. But I’d rather keep my expectations low to start.
Yeah, I get it, and I give you credit for doing it! What I’ve discovered about myself re: record cleaning is that the more work it feels like it will be for me to get started on a cleaning session, the less likely I am to start that cleaning session. Sad, but true, and the HG is the least labor intensive method I’ve found so far. (I’m sure the much more expensive, completely automatic cleaners would be ideal, but I’m more reluctant to spend that money than I am to clean my records with the system I have! ;))

Back