Neil Young

Hmm. One of my locals has the 2009 Harvest for a reasonable price so I wonder if the only deluxe version next year will be as bare bones and as insanely priced as After the Gold Rush was.
Okay, does anyone have experience or know anything about the 2009 140g and 180g pressings? Normally I'd assume they'd sound exactly the same and think weight is a gimmick, but I'm wondering if when they released these there were any other details different? The 140 seems to have okay reviews but the 180 has some of the most glowing reviews I'd ever seen. Want to know if I'll regret getting the cheaper one.

Okay, does anyone have experience or know anything about the 2009 140g and 180g pressings? Normally I'd assume they'd sound exactly the same and think weight is a gimmick, but I'm wondering if when they released these there were any other details different? The 140 seems to have okay reviews but the 180 has some of the most glowing reviews I'd ever seen. Want to know if I'll regret getting the cheaper one.
I think Walmart is offering the 180 gram Harvest for a good price. Possibly a bit of a crapshoot, but I'd go for it if I was looking for this album.

I think Walmart is offering the 180 gram Harvest for a good price. Possibly a bit of a crapshoot, but I'd go for it if I was looking for this album.
Awesome I needed an upgrade! To get the free shipping, I also snagged Hot Rocks by The Stones, been wanting it for some time now. Got them both for $48 shipped!

Listening to Return to Greendale right now. Solid set. I was expecting this to be more dense but it turned out to be a very relaxed and fairly straightforward listen.

This also made me realize how much Neil actually "sing-talks". I made this connection because someone on a Pitchfork post commented how someone like Billie Eilish isn't considered a musician because she sing-talks a lot over her produced beats. I don't see much difference in her singing ability than say, Neil's. It's a slippery slope as the same argument for musicianship is used against hip-hop artists as well. I never understood the argument, but I suppose I get where it's coming from.

Listening to Return to Greendale right now. Solid set. I was expecting this to be more dense but it turned out to be a very relaxed and fairly straightforward listen.

This also made me realize how much Neil actually "sing-talks". I made this connection because someone on a Pitchfork post commented how someone like Billie Eilish isn't considered a musician because she sing-talks a lot over her produced beats. I don't see much difference in her singing ability than say, Neil's. It's a slippery slope as the same argument for musicianship is used against hip-hop artists as well. I never understood the argument, but I suppose I get where it's coming from.
There’s a lot of sexism and racism in many of those arguments.

There’s a lot of sexism and racism in many of those arguments.
Yep. And that's exactly where I supposed those arguments were coming from. I've been fighting the hip hop battle for I don't know how long. Eventually those making the argument come to the right side, but damn I wish it didn't take so much "undo-ing" of previously learned prejudices that are just branded into our brains from an early age.

I’ve gotta NY record question and figure this is the best thread to ask…

Has Silver & Gold ever been reissued on wax? I am curious because currently there is only one listing on Discogs…
…but vinyl wasn’t super common in 2000 and it seems like there are a lot of copies floating around. Did NYA repress this and then somehow it managed to get rolled up into the original listing on Discogs? Just curious if anyone know the story.

Has Silver & Gold ever been reissued on wax? I am curious because currently there is only one listing on Discogs…
…but vinyl wasn’t super common in 2000 and it seems like there are a lot of copies floating around. Did NYA repress this and then somehow it managed to get rolled up into the original listing on Discogs? Just curious if anyone know the story.
I could have sworn there was a bootleg pressing of that that I saw in a shop about five years ago. I’m assuming that whatever is being sold on Discogs are not official and are being sold under the original pressing but I could be very wrong.

I could have sworn there was a bootleg pressing of that that I saw in a shop about five years ago. I’m assuming that whatever is being sold on Discogs are not official and are being sold under the original pressing but I could be very wrong.
Well that blows. I purchased a copy today, usually I am good as sussing out an unofficial release. Ah well. Mistakes happen.

Well, I looked it over and the runout matrix etching matches with what’s on Discogs and there is a “CB” etching on their that looks like the same “CB” that is present on many of the NYA releases Chris Bellman cut.

I also found copies for sale marked as sold “by Amazon”, usually stuff marked as “sold by Amazon” as opposed to a third party seller using the Amazon marketplace are usually legit. It also has the release date listed as 2008 which would make more sense. The vinyl renaissance started right around then. Looks like NYA releases didn’t start until 2009.

My guess is they repressed a whole bunch of the original in 2008 for the EU prior to the launch of the of NYA and these copies are still floating around…

maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I looked it over and the runout matrix etching matches with what’s on Discogs and there is a “CB” etching on their that looks like the same “CB” that is present on many of the NYA releases Chris Bellman cut.

I also found copies for sale marked as sold “by Amazon”, usually stuff marked as “sold by Amazon” as opposed to a third party seller using the Amazon marketplace are usually legit. It also has the release date listed as 2008 which would make more sense. The vinyl renaissance started right around then. Looks like NYA releases didn’t start until 2009.

My guess is they repressed a whole bunch of the original in 2008 for the EU prior to the launch of the of NYA and these copies are still floating around…

maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Neil Young represses also just randomly appear at times without fanfare, I picked up a copy of Fork In The Road from a legitimate seller that was indistinguishable from the pressing that was going in three figures.

maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have this copy. Only acquired within the past 3-4 years and it’s totally fine and legit 👍🏻

To make matters a bit more interesting, Popmarket has this listed on their site as a 2008 import (Germany) (though the UPC matches the original 2000 European listing on discogs):

To make matters a bit more interesting, Popmarket has this listed on their site as a 2008 import (Germany) (though the UPC matches the original 2000 European listing on discogs):

Yeah, at this point I think it’s a legit repress of the 2000 original and it appears to be Chris Bellman cut. Looking forward to giving it a spin this week.

I know there's a pretty large NY contingent here -- I am a casual fan at best -- but this strikes me as being worth mentioning for the hardcore:

This show is very unique and special indeed. Young played some acoustic shows up through about February 1969, then switched to playing with Crazy House or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young for the rest of 1969 and 1970. It was only at the last couple of months of 1970 when he did another solo acoustic tour. So this concert at the Canterbury House in Ann Arbor, Michigan, was the only full acoustic show he did for well over a year and a half during a very crucial part of his career. It took place right in the middle of a CSNY tour. It was professionally recorded, with the possible intention of being released as a live album. However, that never happened, and the show was never even available as a bootleg.

The version that has now finally appeared sounds fantastic. Young was in top form, both with his musical performance and his entertaining banter between songs. Plus, since this was the only acoustic concert he did for a large portion of 1969 and 1970, many of the songs were very rarely done by him at other times, at least not in acoustic format. For instance, this concert is the ONLY time in his long career that he's ever played his Buffalo Springfield song "Down to the Wire." It's one of just two times he played the cover "Oh Lonesome Me" prior to 2005. It's the first time he played "Country Girl" in public, one of only a small number of times he played it, and this is the only excellent live acoustic recording of it. It's the only time he played "I've Been Waiting for You" prior to 2001, and the only live acoustic version. It's the first time he played "Here We Are in the Years," and the only live acoustic version he's ever done. It's the first time he played "Everybody's Alone" in concert, and one of just of four times he's played it in public. It also was the first public performances of "Helpless" and "Dance, Dance, Dance." I could go on with other rarities, like "I've Loved Her So Long" and "Wonderin'."

Back