Neil Young

Also listening to Tuscaloosa right now. Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, and Rust Never Sleeps have been in my regular rotation for the last ten years plus, but for some reason I haven't ventured too far past those yet. I mean, I've listened to a bunch of it once or twice, but I always keep coming back to those.

Also listening to Tuscaloosa right now. Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, and Rust Never Sleeps have been in my regular rotation for the last ten years plus, but for some reason I haven't ventured too far past those yet. I mean, I've listened to a bunch of it once or twice, but I always keep coming back to those.
The LPs right after Harvest...Time Fades Away, On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, and Zuma are perhaps his best. At least give them a few spins each and I think it will land.

Streaming Tuscaloosa now. What a great band he had on this tour, Time Fades Away in particular is so loose. Love Kenny's drumming.

Mirrorball is an (obvious) favorite for me. Freedom, On the Beach, hell even Re*Act*or for Shots & Southern Pacific. Although, as @Yer Ol' Uncle D knows, I got no love for T-Bone.

You're just bitter because you've only got mashed potatoes.

my rankings from lp's I got:

1 Live Rust
2 On The Beach
3 Tonight's The Night
4 After The Gold Rush
5 Zuma
6 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
7 Harvest
8 Hitchhiker
9 Time Fades Away
10 Trans
11 Reactor
12 Weld
13 Hawks & Doves
14 Rust Never Sleeps
15 American Stars 'N Bars
16 Journey Through The Past
17 Comes A Time
18 Life (only one I got no time for at all)

on the shoppy radar wantlist: psychedelic pill and Live at Massey Hall

my rankings from lp's I got:

1 Live Rust
2 On The Beach
3 Tonight's The Night
4 After The Gold Rush
5 Zuma
6 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
7 Harvest
8 Hitchhiker
9 Time Fades Away
10 Trans
11 Reactor
12 Weld
13 Hawks & Doves
14 Rust Never Sleeps
15 American Stars 'N Bars
16 Journey Through The Past
17 Comes A Time
18 Life (only one I got no time for at all)

on the shoppy radar wantlist: psychedelic pill and Live at Massey Hall
Wow, Rust Never Sleeps is pretty far down. Any particular reason?

Love to see On the Beach and Tonight's the Night up there. Probably my two most played Young albums. I've been meaning to pick up Live Rust. It works so great as both a live album and a capstone on his previous decade, one of the best runs in recorded music.

Neil was my first musical obsession. Then girlfriend/now wife got me Decade for my birthday and it was just perfect. Like A Hurricane and Cortez, in particular, but also the strange quietness of stuff like Sugar Mountain and Deep Forbidden Lake.

I stalked the Rust list on Yahoo groups for years (don't think I ever posted). Searched for (what felt like) forever to find that leaked/promo Time Fades Away HDCD online, as well as bootleg On The Beach mp3s, burned to CD on a Windows 98 PC, before that finally got released in 2003 (that was way before my vinyl days).

I'd like to go see him play live at least one more time, I think. He's still pretty captivating on a stage.

I used to be able to roll with his weirdness and defend/justify buying his newer releases, but my obsession finally ended due to some Pono disillusionment and just the overall sharp dip in album quality since Psychedelic Pill, IMO. I do have a subscription to the NYA site, though - gotta use it more regularly. Will be interesting to see what the physical release for NYA vol. 2 looks like, if it ever surfaces.

Still admire him for giving zero fucks and putting out whatever he wants, of course. Neil's gonna Neil.

Rambling post over!✌😎

I've had most of 70's Neil (pretty much Everybody Knows through Zuma, with Rust Never Sleeps randomly in there after hearing an entire All Songs Considered extolling its virtues) in regular rotation in my life for a good ten years as well, and have randomly been filling in the gaps. Trans doesn't deserve the clowning people subject it to. I just got into Mirror Ball this last month, and it slaps. I've been dabbling with Ragged Glory as well. Re Ac Tor sounds interesting based on the wikipedia; maybe a result of his friendship with Devo (I have nothing but time for the era where Devo and Neil were buds)?

Back