Neil Young

If anyone finds a way to post that Barn preview track, please do. Thanks!

Also, there is a poll up for the album on the Paladin Buyers Club thread (members only section) for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Have you listened to the preview track yet?

Yep. Here it is if anyone hasn't been able to track it down...

Every Crazy Horse record seems to have a breath sprinkled in there somewhere. I'd expect this track to be just that. Either way, it's a good song. Neil's lyrics are on point and the accordion (I'm assuming Nils) is perfect for this song. Kinda like a 21st century Harvest.

Last edited:
From the "Barn" promo email: 10 new songs that capture the raw, idiosyncratic rock and roll spirit and lyrical beauty that epitomizes a classic NYCH collaboration. Recorded this summer under a full moon, in a restored off-grid 19th century barn high up in the Rockies, the Horse was right at home and the album’s stunning love songs, reflective ballads and powerhouse rockers naturally burst into life.

This is quite possibly the most Neil/Crazy Horse-y thing I've ever heard! :)

And he has a ton of new apparel at the greedy hand store right now...hadn't been over there in a while.

From the "Barn" promo email: 10 new songs that capture the raw, idiosyncratic rock and roll spirit and lyrical beauty that epitomizes a classic NYCH collaboration. Recorded this summer under a full moon, in a restored off-grid 19th century barn high up in the Rockies, the Horse was right at home and the album’s stunning love songs, reflective ballads and powerhouse rockers naturally burst into life.

This is quite possibly the most Neil/Crazy Horse-y thing I've ever heard! :)

And he has a ton of new apparel at the greedy hand store right now...hadn't been over there in a while.
I can smell the horse from here 🤣

well I can't find my old post about that website that posts "albums that should have been" that included NY live stuff, but but but:

Albums That Should Exist has all the stuff, including stuff like acoustic versions of the neil young album and everybody knows this is nowhere album and demos etc, but specifically i posted a link to a live show and that's been updated:

UPDATE: On October 7, 2021, I updated the mp3 download file. I didn't add or remove any songs. But it dawned on me after listening to this album some more that there was something wrong with the sound, specifically that the bass was way too prominent in the mix. Luckily, this was just with one version, and I was able to find a better version. So I redid the album using a different source. It's a really big sound improvement, so please make sure you have the updated version.

well I can't find my old post about that website that posts "albums that should have been" that included NY live stuff, but but but:

Albums That Should Exist has all the stuff, including stuff like acoustic versions of the neil young album and everybody knows this is nowhere album and demos etc, but specifically i posted a link to a live show and that's been updated:

Shit, I can't tell you how deep into that rabbit hole I fell after I saw your previous posting about this! It's both unbelievable and overwhelming, and I also have to wonder about how he can manage to put this stuff out there for free download. But reading his comments on some of the listings, it's evident he responds to any blowback he receives regarding rights, so I figure he must be dealing with that somehow.

I'm glad it was useful. I'm not a huge fan, but I've been meaning to dive in for a while.

I have unplugged, decade and greatest hits on cd and a few downloads. What would you guys recommend as a good intro or deeper dive? I recently picked up some blank minidisc and will be making some for some mobile tech work I need to do, so I figured this would be a good opportunity. I like the noise stuff and the acoustic stuff. Face melting guitar solos and Helpless are equally 👌 imo. Suggestions are welcome

I'm glad it was useful. I'm not a huge fan, but I've been meaning to dive in for a while.

I have unplugged, decade and greatest hits on cd and a few downloads. What would you guys recommend as a good intro or deeper dive? I recently picked up some blank minidisc and will be making some for some mobile tech work I need to do, so I figured this would be a good opportunity. I like the noise stuff and the acoustic stuff. Face melting guitar solos and Helpless are equally 👌 imo. Suggestions are welcome

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Harvest
Tonight's The Night
Time Fades Away
Zuma
On The Beach
Comes A Time
Rust Never Sleeps
Live Rust
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Weld
Harvest Moon
Le Noise
Homegrown

That should occupy your time for a bit.

Check out Way Down In the Rust Bucket for some face melting guitar solos.

A track from Weld. This thing leaves the friggin' stratosphere at 5:55.

My favorite live NY album. My favorite NY show I ever saw in 1990.

Interesting. I saw Neil on that tour in 1990 (with both Social Distortion and Sonic Youth opening). Amazing show, but it was in a big arena and the sound was a complete mess. You had to work pretty hard to find the songs through all of the noise. And while I get that this is a big part of the appeal of Arc/Weld - and I enjoy and still love it - I have to admit I am partial to the "let's go jam for hours in the garage" sound of Way Down In the Rust Bucket. Recorded in a small club in Santa Cruz in the lead-up to what would become the Weld tour, it's more raw and unfiltered. It's the sound of a legendary band (Neil & Crazy Horse) finding their groove again - documented in real time - after a series of mis-steps in the 11 years since Live Rust was released. In every song, you can literally hear and feel the deep love and unabated joy of re-discovery taking place among the band, and to my ears it never gets old.

And oh man, if I was limited to 10 Neil albums (sooo hard, and I still had to cheat):

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
Harvest
Tonight's the Night
On the Beach
Comes a Time
Rust Never Sleeps
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Way Down in the Rust Bucket
Live at Massey Hall / Live at Carnegie Hall

Last edited:
Interesting. I saw Neil on that tour in 1990 (with both Social Distortion and Sonic Youth opening). Amazing show, but it was in a big arena and the sound was a complete mess. You had to work pretty hard to find the songs through all of the noise. And while I get that this is a big part of the appeal of Arc/Weld - and I enjoy and still love it - I have to admit I am partial to the "let's go jam for hours in the garage" sound of Way Down In the Rust Bucket. Recorded in a small club in Santa Cruz, it's much more raw and unfiltered. It's the sound of a legendary band (Neil & Crazy Horse) finding their groove again - documented in real time - after a series of mis-steps in the 11 years since Live Rust was released. In every song, you can literally hear and feel the deep love and joy of re-discovery taking place among the band members, and to my ears it never gets old.

And oh man, if I was limited to 10 Neil albums (soo hard, and I still had to cheat):

Harvest
Tonight's the Night
On the Beach
Comes a Time
Rust Never Sleeps
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Live at Massey Hall / Live at Carnegie Hall
My Ten would be...
After The Goldrush
On The Beach
Tonight's The Night
Rust Never Sleeps
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Harvest Moon
Way Down In The Rust Bucket
Live At Massey Hall

My Ten would be...
After The Goldrush
On The Beach
Tonight's The Night
Rust Never Sleeps
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Harvest Moon
Way Down In The Rust Bucket
Live At Massey Hall
Dang, we're close! Harvest Moon was right on the cusp, and I'm going to have to find a spot for After the Goldrush. Let's just make it 11.

My ten (as of today) would be...

Mirrorball
Harvest
On the Beach
Live Rust
Freedom
Bluenote Cafe (just for Crime in the City AND Ordinary People!)
After the Goldrush
Carnegie Hall
Tonights the Night

Deja Vu for an honorable mention....

Count me in the minority that has Harvest Moon near the bottom of my list. Natural Beauty is the only song on it that bears repeated listening to me.

Back