Neil Young

if you click on the neil young tag at the end of the post you'll see the other NY posts that blog has -- i don't know how much of that stuff is of interest to the hardcore, i know most of it is beyond my interest, so i skip it. this one seemed pretty interesting (and i do love his unplugged album) so i thought to post it here since there is some overlap with the archival stuff he's been putting out

if you click on the neil young tag at the end of the post you'll see the other NY posts that blog has -- i don't know how much of that stuff is of interest to the hardcore, i know most of it is beyond my interest, so i skip it. this one seemed pretty interesting (and i do love his unplugged album) so i thought to post it here since there is some overlap with the archival stuff he's been putting out
Hell of a lot of cool stuff on that website.

I want one of the 1970 acoustic performances but I think only one - anybody have thoughts on which of them all is best to get?

I want one of the 1970 acoustic performances but I think only one - anybody have thoughts on which of them all is best to get?

All of these are great. I would probably just pick the one with the tracklist you find the most appealing.

All of these are great. I would probably just pick the one with the tracklist you find the most appealing.
Let's not forget this one, even if the price might not be right:

I'd probably pick Carnegie Hall for the sheer number of songs. Its a good listen. Although Young Shakespeare has the Man Needs A Maid --> Old Man piano track which I've always found compelling since Old Man was just a work in progress at that point. You'd expect the audience to go nuts when they hear it, but at that point it was unfamiliar.

Yup, I left it off since is currently OOP and hard to come by but if you can find a copy of Massey Hall at a reasonable price it’s definitely worth it.

Massey Hall is the best one (one of the greatest live albums of all time, with pristine sound quality to boot), but not worth it at current prices unless you’re a huge fan. I have that, Cellar Door, and Young Shakespeare, and I would rank them in that order. Curious to hear the new one (I obviously don’t need it, but if there’s ever a cheap deal…).

I take it back, get this. It’s amazing…
View attachment 113822
LOL! “Sugar Mountain” to close out the first set (and side 2 of disc 1) is hilarious! The audience kept wanting to clap but was so off tempo Neil had to start the song THREE TIMES! On the third attempt through the audience finally relents but Neil still wanted some audience participation so he asks them to sing along and of course as the audience begins singing the clapping starts up again causing Neil to admonish the crowd mid chorus saying, “Don’t clap, just sing.” It is some quality Neil Young Banter.

LOL! “Sugar Mountain” to close out the first set (and side 2 of disc 1) is hilarious! The audience kept wanting to clap but was so off tempo Neil had to start the song THREE TIMES! On the third attempt through the audience finally relents but Neil still wanted some audience participation so he asks them to sing along and of course as the audience begins singing the clapping starts up again causing Neil to admonish the crowd mid chorus saying, “Don’t clap, just sing.” It is some quality Neil Young Banter.
I just love how completely stoned he sounds on every one of these live recordings. He's hysterical.

I just love how completely stoned he sounds on every one of these live recordings. He's hysterical.
Just wait till we get the official release of the 1974 Bottom Line show where he outlines the recipe for honeyslides. You'll really be able to play along at home then. At the end of Roll Another Number, about 47 minutes in.

I'd probably pick Carnegie Hall for the sheer number of songs. Its a good listen. Although Young Shakespeare has the Man Needs A Maid --> Old Man piano track which I've always found compelling since Old Man was just a work in progress at that point. You'd expect the audience to go nuts when they hear it, but at that point it was unfamiliar.
Streamed it on/off yesterday, thought was it's stunning! Ordered Lp's today.

Funny he could not play along to the audience clapping as @TenderLovingKiller® mentioned, he must of really been stoned.☺️

Last edited:
Just wait till we get the official release of the 1974 Bottom Line show where he outlines the recipe for honeyslides. You'll really be able to play along at home then. At the end of Roll Another Number, about 47 minutes in.

Haha. Can't wait! (Can honestly say I'd never heard of honeyslides.) His ease with the audience is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Announced a few days ago, but Neil & Crazy Horse have a new album on the way: Barn, out 12/10. The lead track “Song of the Seasons” is available to stream for NYA subscribers.

Pre-order available from Bullmoose, with others - including NYA, sure to follow soon.

Guess this means we won't see the Ragged Glory re-issue until 2022. Among other talents, Neil sure is a master of stringing us along (and if 2021 is any indication, siphoning from our wallets).

I assume the pressing plant issue caught up with him too, but in addition to Ragged Glory set, were were supposed to have 4 or 5 more in the bootleg series and Johnny's Island from the 80s sessions.

Back