Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 6 - December 2019 /// The Gloaming - 3 [2019]

What is best tipple to have with a pizza?

• Beer

• Red Wine

• White Wine

• Other (Discuss Below)

• Pop

• Fizzy Pop

• Water

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey @Joe Mac , since we’re on the subject of Celtic vibes (Either geographical or musical) have you paid attention to Lankum, apparently the new wave of modern Celtic music? It’s definitely worth more than a listen, the lads are becoming quite popular globally and critically acclaimed too.

Not yet! I have heard of them but the next Irish artist I‘m looking to dig into is Lisa O’Neill and then its between them and Ye Vagabonds to follow!

now that we know its gloaming related we just gotta wait until joe mac gives his notes, gaporter does her thread.. and i have an existencial crisis hoping i dont get chosen because despite knowing what i wanted a month ago i now am wondering if my choice accurately represents me

Have you listened to the Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh & Thomas Bartlett album yet? I imagine that you’d dig the less structured and more improvisational nature of it...

Not yet, but certainly will. If you have other suggestions, please share it with us. I really love how they looked into the more traditional Irish and turned it into intemporal music. In a very different genre (very very different genre), it reminds me of Minyo Crusaders.

now that we know its gloaming related we just gotta wait until joe mac gives his notes, gaporter does her thread.. and i have an existencial crisis hoping i dont get chosen because despite knowing what i wanted a month ago i now am wondering if my choice accurately represents me

Im announcing which of their last 3 it is on Friday. That’s a week earlier than planned, because you are all pests, and still two and half weeks before @gaporter has to start her thread and you have to face being picked or not. Life is short, savour it 😀

Im announcing which of their last 3 it is on Friday. That’s a week earlier than planned, because you are all pests, and still two and half weeks before @gaporter has to start her thread and you have to face being picked or not. Life is short, savour it 😀
i am stuck between multiple choices and im scared i dunno which one would be the most representative of me.. i have multiple different tastes

Not yet, but certainly will. If you have other suggestions, please share it with us. I really love how they looked into the more traditional Irish and turned it into intemporal music. In a very different genre (very very different genre), it reminds me of Minyo Crusaders.

There is a lot of good music emerging from Ireland across the genres including trad and folk but they are really out there in a class of their own. By playing with the structures of trad they’ve really created something new and special, it’s almost like they’ve turned it into high art and created a form of contemporary Irish classical music.

i am stuck between multiple choices and im scared i dunno which one would be the most representative of me.. i have multiple different tastes

As do we all, I’ve chosen to highlight the music of the country I call home. That will become further evident with my further listening picks which are also Irish music, although there is a mix of genres. I could have gone quite a few other ways if the humour had taken me. Don’t worry too much, just follow your gut and it won’t lead you too far astray.

As do we all, I’ve chosen to highlight the music of the country I call home. That will become further evident with my further listening picks which are also Irish music, although there is a mix of genres. I could have gone quite a few other ways if the humour had taken me. Don’t worry too much, just follow your gut and it won’t lead you too far astray.
but what if everyone owns what i chose.. what if i want something that has no truly great pressing.. what if i cant find something that i perfectly want

but what if everyone owns what i chose.. what if i want something that has no truly great pressing.. what if i cant find something that i perfectly want

You’re telling me we all own crap copies of all your favourite records which all happen to be unavailable. Give yourself options, I guarantee that if you pick 5-10 you will get 2 that are absolutely spot on. This is meant to be fun, not a trial!

Last edited:

It's not the point. The point is to share something you love and explain, in your own way, why everybody should have it. There is no bad or good pick. It can be something popular, it can be something confidential, it can be something everybody owns. The important is that this pick is important to you. Nobody is judging, do what you want to do.

The important thing is that it's an album you love and that you want to give a spotlight to. I went through several albums before landing on the one I knew I wanted to be my AOTM. Without giving too much away (I certainly don't need to be giving ample info to the sleuths out here), the record I've chosen is one that left an impact on me that others may not take away from it all, which is a risk all of us are taking in curating an album for a group of people with such a wide array of tastes/backgrounds/etc. Everyone knows I have a lot of anxiety going into my month. I'm worried people will have a strong distaste for my choice. I'm worried about the record going out of stock. I'm worried it will be a disappointing pick. I'm worried my thread won't be exciting or interesting. I'm worried my record is too well-known. But at this point, for better or worse, I'm committed and I've been reassured that everything will be fine. Of course, anxious personalities like us will always find something to worry about, but just go with what you love and be honest with yourself. You're awesome, and whatever you pick will be awesome. Positive squiggles, dukey ~~~~~~

The important thing is that it's an album you love and that you want to give a spotlight to. I went through several albums before landing on the one I knew I wanted to be my AOTM. Without giving too much away (I certainly don't need to be giving ample info to the sleuths out here), the record I've chosen is one that left an impact on me that others may not take away from it all, which is a risk all of us are taking in curating an album for a group of people with such a wide array of tastes/backgrounds/etc. Everyone knows I have a lot of anxiety going into my month. I'm worried people will have a strong distaste for my choice. I'm worried about the record going out of stock. I'm worried it will be a disappointing pick. I'm worried my thread won't be exciting or interesting. I'm worried my record is too well-known. But at this point, for better or worse, I'm committed and I've been reassured that everything will be fine. Of course, anxious personalities like us will always find something to worry about, but just go with what you love and be honest with yourself. You're awesome, and whatever you pick will be awesome. Positive squiggles, dukey ~~~~~~

This exactly! I was slightly anxious about making everyone listen to an Irish traditional record. God knows that our native music has had a critical hammering due to the likes of The Coors releasing horribly overproduced diddly dee eye bullshit painting a really absurd picture of what this country actually is!

In the end I just went with what I felt was a quality record that I loved and trusted in the open minds of the people on here. I must say I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by the reaction, I wasn’t expecting it at all.

I hope you both take something from that, there is nothing to be anxious about 😀

It's not the point. The point is to share something you love and explain, in your own way, why everybody should have it. There is no bad or good pick. It can be something popular, it can be something confidential, it can be something everybody owns. The important is that this pick is important to you. Nobody is judging, do what you want to do.
You’re telling me we all own crap copies of all your favourite records which all happen to be unavailable. Give yourself options, I guarantee that if you pick 5-10 you will get 2 that are absolutely spot on. This is meant to be fun, not a trial!
thank you... its just i guess with how unique everyone else's choices has been made me think "it has to be a piece from an artist that is less known and has a high quality pressing as well as be unknown enough for an AMA and be very useful for hints"

i overthink things

thank you... its just i guess with how unique everyone else's choices has been made me think "it has to be a piece from an artist that is less known and has a high quality pressing as well as be unknown enough for an AMA and be very useful for hints"

i overthink things

It "doesn't have to be or not to be", it's your pick. Most of all, it must be something you love and it must be a funny month and experience for you.

It "doesn't have to be or not to be", it's your pick. Most of all, it must be something you love and it must be a funny month and experience for you.
i got a couple options..

one is too obvious, one is more obscure but dunno if i love it, and the other is great but i dunno if it fits me or i have enough to say

This exactly! I was slightly anxious about making everyone listen to an Irish traditional record. God knows that our native music has had a critical hammering due to the likes of The Coors releasing horribly overproduced diddly dee eye bullshit painting a really absurd picture of what this country actually is!

If it’s not The Coors, then you just have lumped with B*Witched then?!

i got a couple options..

one is too obvious, one is more obscure but dunno if i love it, and the other is great but i dunno if it fits me or i have enough to say

Why not both? You can pick one record as AOTM and a second as alternative pick. There are no rules. Do what you want. We are all here to learn from you. I am learning every month thanks to the great pickers we had so far and certainly will learn more from the next ones. That's what I expect from our N&G AOTM threads.

Back