Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

eh even if it isn't khemmis one member said they'd give me a free (or at least discounted because i dont want them to waste money) copy of the ROTM because of how much i've been doing for this (if we do this every month you'd all be broke)

Here’s a playlist that includes at least one song from every band that was suggested as a “check this out” (vs a wild guess). Sorry if I chose the wrong song in an album. And sorry if I missed one or two or more. And sorry for the lack of organization. I just went more or less down the thread.

Great job here. The best tracks are at the start of course. I’ll pin this at post 4. Well done!

This wasn't directed at me, but as a passionate and certified PFR rep, I felt compelled to reply.

1) Strawberry
2) Avocado
3) Raspberry
4) Pear
5) Plantain
At the lake this weekend with very limited internet connectivity but I’ll do my best answering any questions and staying involved.

As far as @Skalap and @Teeeee for the Spotify playlist, did you want something specific to the guesses here or an “intro to metal” in general?

Here’s a playlist that includes at least one song from every band that was suggested as a “check this out” (vs a wild guess). Sorry if I chose the wrong song in an album. And sorry if I missed one or two or more. And sorry for the lack of organization. I just went more or less down the thread.

Oh no, that was in support of you.

I'm seeing a significant lack of tropical fruit here though. I think my top 4/6 would be:

Juice mangoes
Lychees
Chirimoya/avocado
Bananas/plantains

None of which are really very good imported or shipped to my grocery store completely green and therefore are partly high due to travel nostalgia/scarcity
Unpopular opinions to follow:

1. Watermelon
2. HONEYCRISP Apples
3. Pineapple
4. Cantaloupe
5. Honeydew Melon

I don't really understand how we got to ranking fruit, but I'm here for it. (And I love how Dukey is ignoring all fruit talk and patiently trying to steer the conversation back to metal). Why the lack of blueberries on these lists? Heathens!!!

1. Banana
2. Honeycrisp apple
3. Blueberries
4. Cantalope
5. Pineapple

I am so looking forward to rocking this playlist today! Thank you @supahypeag! @Goatfish - an intro to metal would be amazing. You have so much knowledge of the different types of metal. A few songs as an example of each type would kick ass.

Fruit

At 5, dropping 2 spots this week the ever controversial Hawaiian Pizza, easy on the pineapple.
Sweeping in at 4, a new and unexpected entry for Shredded Duck and Pomegranate on a bed of Rocket Salad.
Climbing 3 places this week to number 3, Pork chops with Jersey Royal Potatoes & Green Beans and an Apple Sauce smear.
No move this week at number 2 for the ever delightful, perfect at anytime of day or night, Grape Juice or, as it's affectionately known in my house, Red Wine.
And holding strong at number 1, the Lamb Jalfrezi with a side of Papadoms and Lime Pickle. Hard to see how this will ever be toppled from the top spot.

Fruit

At 5, dropping 2 spots this week the ever controversial Hawaiian Pizza, easy on the pineapple.
Sweeping in at 4, a new and unexpected entry for Shredded Duck and Pomegranate on a bed of Rocket Salad.
Climbing 3 places this week to number 3, Pork chops with Jersey Royal Potatoes & Green Beans and an Apple Sauce smear.
No move this week at number 2 for the ever delightful, perfect at anytime of day or night, Grape Juice or, as it's affectionately known in my house, Red Wine.
And holding strong at number 1, the Lamb Jalfrezi with a side of Papadoms and Lime Pickle. Hard to see how this will ever be toppled from the top spot.

Good call at No 1. Wife is out tonight and think that will be a treat for myself.

1. Pineapple. My former stepfather was allergic, so we couldn’t have any in the house. It was literally forbidden fruit. The freedom to nom it now is so sweet.
2. Strawberries. They can be wholesome (on top of breakfast pancakes or waffles) or sexy (champagne and chocolate). The versatility awards them the number two spot.
3. Watermelons. Sure they’re mostly water. But they’re also the quintessential fruit of summer and associated good times.
4. Plums. They taste good.
5. Dewberries. The fond memories of picking them and bringing them to my grandma for her to make cobbler outweigh the memories of all the scratches from the thorns.

Hon. Mention: apples, peaches, grapes, blueberries

I love the specificity of this. I a hope spreadsheet exists for your PFR (Personal Fruit Rankings for the laymen). Couple of quick questions: How deep does your PFR go? and what is your Top 5 ranked fruits currently?

I feel like my PFR is based on the best-case scenario for each fruit. I also care about how each fruit tastes when consumed by itself.

That’s partly why avocados are not included in my ranking. They’re too versatile, primarily used in savory dishes, and unless you’re my 3-year-old you probably don’t eat them plain. If avocados counted, they’d be in the top 3. Coconut would be in the top 10, too.

1. August Peaches
2. July Strawberries
3. Brazil Mangos
4. Winter Oranges
5. Fall Apples (preferably a combination of different varieties)
HM: good, non-acidic Pineapples
Last place (tied): Bananas and Papaya

I agree that Pears are underrated. The trick is that you have to buy the ones that look most beat up.

BONUS LIST: Best grilled fruits
1. Peaches
2. Pineapple

This is not necessarily aimed towards you, @supahypeag - you were just heroic enough to undertake making this playlist.

Observation #1: Songs 1 - 6 sound like heavy classic rock to me. None of it sounds like what I think metal sounds like. The first song that sounds like metal to me is Painkiller by Judas Priest. And it is absolutely what I think of metal sounding like. Straight forward metal.

So, for you metal heads - what's up with that? What kind of metal would you say Judas Priest is?

From when I was looking at the wiki, Judas Priest was one of the first bands to reduce the blues influence and emphasize more of a power sound. Obviously I’d defer to the much more knowledgeable folks for a better answer

PFR

1. Cantaloupe. Looks like a weird brain from the outside but a good cantaloupe is extremely refreshing and has the perfect texture.
2. Grapes
3. Green olives. When you're in the mood for a salty fruit, what else but the humble, versatile green olive?
4. Apples
5. Bananas
HM. Asian pears.
Last. Watermelon.

This is not necessarily aimed towards you, @supahypeag - you were just heroic enough to undertake making this playlist.

Observation #1: Songs 1 - 6 sound like heavy classic rock to me. None of it sounds like what I think metal sounds like. The first song that sounds like metal to me is Painkiller by Judas Priest. And it is absolutely what I think of metal sounding like. Straight forward metal.

So, for you metal heads - what's up with that? What kind of metal would you say Judas Priest is?
Throw some Iron Maiden in there around Motorhead. I'm not an expert but I think they're missing!

PFR

1. Cantaloupe. Looks like a weird brain from the outside but a good cantaloupe is extremely refreshing and has the perfect texture.
2. Grapes
3. Green olives. When you're in the mood for a salty fruit, what else but the humble, versatile green olive?
4. Apples
5. Bananas
HM. Asian pears.
Last. Watermelon.
*squints*

pixlr_20190719105902102.jpg

Oh, sorry, I thought it was kinda chronological.

Yeah, it's not a very good playlist as far as having any sort of organization (chronology, emotional arc, genre). It basically only follows the order that suggestions popped up in the thread, along with maybe some other ideas that popped into my head (and yet I still somehow didn't include Def Leppard -- "THE DRUMMER FROM DEF LEPPARD'S ONLY GOT ONE ARM!"). Ultimately, I view it more as a kind of rough draft that gathered together 50 pages of suggestions to provide a list for someone with more knowledge and better taste to use to create a better one. Hopefully it'll save whoever that person is some time!

Back