Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Purple is my favorite fake fruit flavor. Amirite, @Colonel_Angus ??? Grape cream slushies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

Unpopular opinions to follow:

1. Watermelon
2. HONEYCRISP Apples
3. Pineapple
4. Cantaloupe
5. Honeydew Melon
I also appreciate honeydew melon, but apparently we're in the minority, per the following quote:

"Honeydew is like the Jared Leto of fruits. No one wants it but it's always there." - Bojack Horseman

I also appreciate honeydew melon, but apparently we're in the minority, per the following quote:

"Honeydew is like the Jared Leto of fruits. No one wants it but it's always there." - Bojack Horseman
I used to hate both cantaloupe and honeydew until I finally had a ripe one. Most of the buffets and mixed fruit samplers and stuff it is hard and flavorless, so I'd agree with Bojack in those cases.

This is not necessarily aimed towards you, @supahypeag - you were just heroic enough to undertake making this playlist.

Observation #1: Songs 1 - 6 sound like heavy classic rock to me. None of it sounds like what I think metal sounds like. The first song that sounds like metal to me is Painkiller by Judas Priest. And it is absolutely what I think of metal sounding like. Straight forward metal.

So, for you metal heads - what's up with that? What kind of metal would you say Judas Priest is?

Judas Priest is primarily traditional heavy metal. Direct influence on the New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands to follow (like Iron Maiden).

Painkiller came out in the early 90s, so probably not a great chronological representation of their sound, as it incorporates subsequent influence of NWOBHM making it faster paced and verging on speed metal.

I'm trying a more traditionnal approach of an "introduction to metal" playlist too. But keep in mind that I'm not primarily a metalhead and that I really don't listen to some subgenre like death metal or black metal, at all. I tried a mostly chronological approach when it comes to the bands first appearance. More or less.

Edit : Now complete to the best of my knowledge, a bit of wikipedia and knowledge of the band names my friends rave about when they come back from Hellfest, our local metal festival.

Last edited:
I'm trying a more traditionnal approach of an "introduction to metal" playlist too. But keep in mind that I'm not primarily a metalhead and that I really don't listen to some subgenre like death metal or black metal, at all. I tried a mostly chronological approach when it comes to the bands first appearance. More or less.

Edit : Now complete to the best of my knowledge, a bit of wikipedia and knowledge of the band names my friends rave about when they come back from Hellfest, our local metal festival.

I’ll also add yours to the front page @ChristoBee

No, YOU stop making a pop playlist for next month.

Since YOU brought pop up, and while we patiently wait for (1) the second extinction of mastodons and the high on fire to be put out and (2) goatfish’s instructional metal listings, I thought I’d take the opportunity to say... I like pop, especially when it’s kinda weird.

Or

Sorry. I’m going back to listening to my metal playlist. It kinda reminds me of that Harry Potter candy, Every Flavor Beans. I have no idea what the result is gonna be on any given shuffle!

What am I doing right now, you may ask.

Oh, well, just listening to this sweet little song from the playlist @supahypeag made. It's called "Walk with Me in Hell". It's really pleasant and uplifting and such a summer jam.

🤪
Lamb of God is pretty different from the Alice Coltrane record im currently listening to. Or is it?....

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh...... I'm really liking Power Trip! They sound a little similar to Idles, who has won me over with their goofball antics.

I also liked Khemmis. Mastodon was meh to me.

Remember - this is all based on 1 or 2 songs on a playlist. So, Mastodon being meh to me is because I didn't hugely enjoy the 2 and only 2 songs I've heard by them.

Back