Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Start with The Sciences, IMHO. Dopesmoker is amazing but I think their most recent is Sleep at its most essential and distilled.
Agreed, it’s their best body of work, imo, although that’s not to discount the genius of Dopesmoker and Sleep’s Holy Mountain.

I just love the opening and ending tracks on The Sciences. “The Botanist” has some of my favorite guitar work...ever.

Agreed!

Master Of Reality and Vol. 4 might be my favorite two Sabbath albums, although “Fairies Wear Boots” is my favorite song. I’ve just heard “Iron Man” and “Paranoid” two much that I can’t place Paranoid as my favorite Sabbath album.

Also, @dhodo do you like Sleep?

Seconded. Those two are also my favorite Sabbath albums (I lean slightly toward Vol. 4 because it has more songs, but the best tunes on Master of Reality are amazing... see “Into the Void” and its half dozen or so distinct riffs).

I even have a soft spot for Technical Ecstasy and Never say Die, but they’re definitely weaker albums.

Master Of Reality and Vol. 4 might be my favorite two Sabbath albums, although “Fairies Wear Boots” is my favorite song. I’ve just heard “Iron Man” and “Paranoid” two much that I can’t place Paranoid as my favorite Sabbath album.
I know what you mean, but tbh those two are overplayed for a reason. I've heard them a billion times and they still do it for me.

The debut tends to be overshadowed by Paranoid sometimes. "N.I.B." is a god-tier level song (or... devil-tier, in this case? whatevs, you know what I mean)

I know what you mean, but tbh those two are overplayed for a reason. I've heard them a billion times and they still do it for me.

The debut tends to be overshadowed by Paranoid sometimes. "N.I.B." is a god-tier level song (or... devil-tier, in this case? whatevs, you know what I mean)

"The Wizard," too. Great drumming. I think the main issue with (quality of?) the debut is how raw both the production and Ozzy's vocals are. The whole album was recorded in a matter of hours. A buddy of mine swears that halfway through "Sleeping Village/Warning" you can hear Tony Iommi switch guitars during a break in the song.

As much as I love Sabbath, my hot take is that Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz tops any Sabbath album (it feels gross to type, but it's true).

"The Wizard," too. Great drumming. I think the main issue with (quality of?) the debut is how raw both the production and Ozzy's vocals are. The whole album was recorded in a matter of hours. A buddy of mine swears that halfway through "Sleeping Village/Warning" you can hear Tony Iommi switch guitars during a break in the song.

As much as I love Sabbath, my hot take is that Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz tops any Sabbath album (it feels gross to type, but it's true).
I see what you mean, but I think that bare-bones quality honestly adds to it for me. As a debut, it gives you what they're all about straight up with no frills. Between it and Paranoid, I'd have to side with the latter just because the songs themselves are more fully realized for the most part, but the debut has some really really great stuff on it. As far Ozzy's solo stuff, it's hard for me to comment as I'm only really overly familiar with the bigger hits.

How is it gross to type, yet you agree with it? :unsure:

I grew up liking Sabbath much more than solo Ozzy or Dio. But over the years I've come to prefer Blizzard. It's like betraying my younger self. Feelings are complicated!!!

(I've felt similarly conflicted about the moment I realized Paul McCartney had become my favorite Beatle (instead of John), or when I finally admitted that my favorite childhood fruit (strawberries) had been dethroned by fresh August peaches in my personal fruit rankings. Everybody has one of those, right? RIGHT?!?)

This is probably as good time a time as any to mention that I identified as a rocker/metalhead as a teenager (for what it felt like an eternity, but was probably only 5 years or so).

I definitely had a classicist sensibility. The all-time greats were the triumvirate of Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple; then came Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and the 80s thrash icons (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc.). I generally favored 70s/80s heavy metal and hard rock (think Motorhead, Rush, AC/DC, Aerosmith, early Queen) and then-contemporary heavy melodic stuff (Blind Guardian, early Nightwish, Rhapsody, Angra, Dream Theater). I couldn't quite crack into death metal (because of the vocals) but I dabbled into the some of the more obvious black metal groups (Dimmu Borgir and early Cradle of Filth, both of which most black metal fans seem to disavow/detest).

Then I moved to the United States, and my circle of friends here had a much different musical sensibility (tangent: I feel like there are two different, parallel "metal universes": the Europe/Japan/Brazil axis, and the United States all on its own). I eventually tried out music I had previously refused to even consider when I was a "true metal" cultist.

I can even point to the specific album that changed my perspective of what heavy music (or music in general) could be: Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine. Before I heard that album, I irrationally hated anything that involved electronic influences. But a friend pushed that album on me (knowing I was an angsty teenager who could totally relate to Trent Reznor's lyrics), and after that it became more difficult for me to stick to my preconceptions about music (that said, you could still catch me at age 30 saying preposterous shit like "I hate jazz").

Now, all of this was pre-Napster/MP3s (and obviously YouTube/streaming). I think there is some truth to the idea that music fans have been more open-minded over the past 15-20 years or so. I wonder if the reason why music listeners were close-minded in the past was actually to protect themselves (from spending too much money on CDs/records). I know that can be hard for younger folks to conceptualize, but mere access to music was a really valuable commodity up until the early 2000s. I couldn't tell you how much money I spent (out of what little money I had) on music that I had never listened to or artists I had barely heard of. We really have it easy these days.

the new hints aren't killing any albums

just tell us its khemmis... its agony

the brewer could mean its not high on fire

but at the same time with that there would be no mastodon on the 2nd shield song.. and the brew clue also implies mastodon

And I have to try to top him or even come close to equalling him next month! :cautious:
You got this.
Can someone make a playlist of intro to metal for me? With some of the artists in this thread? I was doing my best to stay caught up on listening to what everyone is guessing and suggesting. But I've fallen way behind and am sad about it. It seems daunting to me. But I want to learn!

I'd love you forever!
Based on your musical tastes, I’d say listen to these albums: Quiet Riot ‘Metal Health’, Ratt ‘Out Of The Cellar’, and Twisted Sister ‘Stay Hungry’. 80s metal and pure fun.

Back