Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Ohhhhhh...... I'm really liking Power Trip! They sound a little similar to Idles, who has won me over with their goofball antics.

I also liked Khemmis. Mastodon was meh to me.

Remember - this is all based on 1 or 2 songs on a playlist. So, Mastodon being meh to me is because I didn't hugely enjoy the 2 and only 2 songs I've heard by them.
*Runs to check out Power Trip

Ohhhhhh...... I'm really liking Power Trip! They sound a little similar to Idles, who has won me over with their goofball antics.

I also liked Khemmis. Mastodon was meh to me.

Remember - this is all based on 1 or 2 songs on a playlist. So, Mastodon being meh to me is because I didn't hugely enjoy the 2 and only 2 songs I've heard by them.
*Runs to check out Power Trip
😂 Haha, I am so confused @Teeeee, what songs did you hear that reminded you of Idles? I checked out their last album and it seems like hardcore vocals thrash about death and different methods of execution.

😂 Haha, I am so confused @Teeeee, what songs did you hear that reminded you of Idles? I checked out their last album and it seems like hardcore vocals thrash about death and different methods of execution.
I may be stretching with my comparison. But the vocals were similar to me. And some of the guitar workings were punkish. And I've only listened to the one Power Trip song on the mix - Manifest Decimation. (Man, these song titles are such downers!).

@everyone - What is doom metal?

I may be stretching with my comparison. But the vocals were similar to me. And some of the guitar workings were punkish. And I've only listened to the one Power Trip song on the mix - Manifest Decimation. (Man, these song titles are such downers!).

Ha, I was thinking the same thing about it being a downer. In that way I think it is similar to Idles' first album, but there is a lot more positivity in their second album, have you heard it? The song Danny Nedelko in particular if you haven't.

I think I have a rough idea of what doom metal is but it seems similar to me to what I thought stoner rock was. Can an expert describe both and the differences?

Doom/Stoner/Sludge are all technically different (but the differences are splitting hairs mostly) but are usually used as synonyms to describe a type of metal that while heavy is usually super slow and loves to drone. Lots of songs are longer (an extreme example is the song “Dopesmoker” by Sleep Which at over 60 minutes in length stretches over 2 sides of an LP) ultimately in its essence it has guitars that are played low and slow (drop tuning and slow melodies) which gives off a very “Heavy” and repetitive sound.

For my money, the best Doom album of all time is “Dopethrone” by Electric Wizard

Last edited:
DragonForce got American famous because their song on the video game Guitar Hero was ridiculously difficult.

edit: here’s a vid

to think that game is 12 years old

i remember trying to beat that song made you a god among your friend group... no one could beat it.. the beginning alone made them fail instantly

and so many people made videos trying to beat it.. i saw some of them and those were legit.. but there were a lot of fakes

this one was the first FC 100%... and it was jaw dropping

Wait - is DragonForce a serious band or are they a parody?

Yes. ;)

Doom/Stoner/Sludge are all technically different (but the differences are splitting hairs mostly) but are usually used as synonyms to describe a type of metal that while heavy is usually super slow and loves to drone. Lots of songs are longer (an extreme example is the song “Dopesmoker” by Sleep Which at over 60 minutes in length stretches over 2 sides of an LP) ultimately in its essence it has guitars that are played low and slow (drop tuning and slow melodies) which gives off a very “Heavy” and repetitive sound.

For my money, the best Doom album of all time is “Dopethrone” by Electric Wizard

Doom is a direct descendent of Black Sabbath. Slow. Fuzzy. Heavy. Usually songs about death/gloom/hopelessness. There are even subgenres OF doom.

Traditional Doom - Black Sabbath and the like.

Epic Doom has soaring melodic (sometimes super high register) traditional heavy metal vocals. See: Candlemass

Gothic Doom is a blend of goth rock and doom. See: Type O Negative

Stoner doom (more focus on grooves, fuzz and psychedelic soundscapes and also frequently songs about weed). See: Sleep, Kyuss

Funeral doom is exxxtreeeeemely slow. Crushingly heavy and plodding often with harsh vocals/growls. See: Bell Witch

Death-doom is a hybrid of death metal and doom. See: Early Katatonia, Hooded Menace

Sludge is punk infused doom. Faster pace and more aggression, less doom and gloom. See: Acid Bath, Crowbar

Drone doom is a blend of drone and doom. See: Sunn 0))

Plenty of mixing and matching commences as well. Progressive elements have been used in all of the above (ie progressive sludge in Mastodon).

Back