Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 0 - June 2019 /// MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE - Heritage Vol.1

legit thanks @Skalap for showing us this artist a lot of us haven't heard of

He is an Artist with a capital A and I am very happy to see how our people are loving Heritage Vol. 1&2 (for different reasons, which is interesting). As Captainfog suggests, listen to other songs/records Mark released at other phases of his career. He is into jazz but also hip-hop, electronic music, groove, world music, etc... He is really good.

I have the norgren one. I'd be willing to pif that if you need proof

That's very kind of you. But please don't waste the postage on sending me air. ;)

Also, everyone should read Mark's wiki page, he's a lot more than a jazz musician, got a whole history of making electronic music. My neighbour is a fan and immediately knew who Mark was when I told him we were doing this AMA, but he didn't know he made Jazz! So if you want to know about the other stuff he does, Monday will be a good opportunity to ask him!

I discovered him through his electronic stuff. I enjoy his break beat jamming.

OMG, please let's have Nubya come over to a future AMA!

Not going to lie, since day one of this forum she was one of the people that I had in mind for something like this. No plans to ask her at the moment so don't get excited, but one day I'd love for it happen. She's such a great artist. It seems mad that three weeks in we've got Mark coming to do one, lets just see how this goes and take everything one step at a time. I think we've been very lucky to get Mark and it's not guaranteed we'll be able to get anybody else to come onto the forum again!!

What ARE considered good AMA questions? I would think that "why don't you play more like Jerry Lee Lewis, I like him better cause I likes to boogie" would be Not Cool and a "what was your inspiration for Heritage?" question is a bit redundant given the plethora of material available that answers that. Do you all have some recommended past AMAs that you would suggest as good "mining" material for good inquiries?

So, is the AMA going to be in a different thread, or is it just going to be in here? Can we post questions in advance?

They'll be a separate thread probably pinned in the general section. We'll start it sometime before so people who can't make it can leave questions.

What ARE considered good AMA questions? I would think that "why don't you play more like Jerry Lee Lewis, I like him better cause I likes to boogie" would be Not Cool and a "what was your inspiration for Heritage?" question is a bit redundant given the plethora of material available that answers that. Do you all have some recommended past AMAs that you would suggest as good "mining" material for good inquiries?

Anything you want! It can be anything from what's your favourite thing you've ever had for breakfast all the way through to questions about what inspired the Heritage records. What would you like to know?! It doesn't have to be profound.

OMG, please let's have Nubya come over to a future AMA!
Not going to lie, since day one of this forum she was one of the people that I had in mind for something like this. No plans to ask her at the moment so don't get excited, but one day I'd love for it happen. She's such a great artist. It seems mad that three weeks in we've got Mark coming to do one, lets just see how this goes and take everything one step at a time. I think we've been very lucky to get Mark and it's not guaranteed we'll be able to get anybody else to come onto the forum again!!

Whats fantastic about the current wave of young London musicians is that (and I realize this is a massive generalization) they all seem so likeable and approachable. The gig that springs to mind to best show this was the launch of the SEED Ensemble 'Driftglass' album. During an intermission the musicians went out back (to drop their instruments off and grab some water) then came out to the lobby where everyone was waiting. They all just mingled and chatted to us and it was just a fantastic moment really. I chatted to Theon Cross about his new album (I somehow got a copy early) and he just seemed relieved that I liked it (even thought we had never met). I also had a copy of the Driftglass album on me and Cassie Kinoshi (who composed the music) saw me holding it, came over to me, and asked what I thought of it. She then signed it before running off to grab her instrument and start up on the second half.

Another London musician that seems incredibly likeable is Little Simz. Shes done a lot for local talent in London, even organizing a couple of mini-festivals to showcase unsigned talent. When she was supporting Gorillaz last year I sent a message on her instagram to ask if she would have any merch for sale. She messaged back within a few minutes to list the handful of items that would be there and said that she hopes I enjoy the show. Its just the little things like this that make me a fan.

Whats fantastic about the current wave of young London musicians is that (and I realize this is a massive generalization) they all seem so likeable and approachable. The gig that springs to mind to best show this was the launch of the SEED Ensemble 'Driftglass' album. During an intermission the musicians went out back (to drop their instruments off and grab some water) then came out to the lobby where everyone was waiting. They all just mingled and chatted to us and it was just a fantastic moment really. I chatted to Theon Cross about his new album (I somehow got a copy early) and he just seemed relieved that I liked it (even thought we had never met). I also had a copy of the Driftglass album on me and Cassie Kinoshi (who composed the music) saw me holding it, came over to me, and asked what I thought of it. She then signed it before running off to grab her instrument and start up on the second half.

Another London musician that seems incredibly likeable is Little Simz. Shes done a lot for local talent in London, even organizing a couple of mini-festivals to showcase unsigned talent. When she was supporting Gorillaz last year I sent a message on her instagram to ask if she would have any merch for sale. She messaged back within a few minutes to list the handful of items that would be there and said that she hopes I enjoy the show. Its just the little things like this that make me a fan.

Yup, we had the chance to speak with Dan Leavers, keys of Comet is Coming, at the end of their show in Paris. He spent 10 minutes with us discussing music and other things then left, apologizing that he had to join the rest of team :) It would be really nice to have one (or some) of them for an AMA in this forum. Many of us are in love with the London/UK jazz scene and it would be really cool to interact with them. I am sure we would have tons of questions to ask and lot of love to share :)

Last edited:
Yup, we had the chance to speak with Dan Leavers, keys of Comet is Coming, at the end of their show in Paris. He spent 10 minutes with us discussing music and other things then left, apologizing that he had to join the rest of team :) It would be really nice to have one (or some) of them for an AMA in this forum. Many of us are in love with the London/UK jazz scene and it would be really cool to interact with them. I am sure we would have tons of questions to ask and lot of love to share :)

On this subject, there appears to be a demand for more AMAs on this site?? If more were to happen how would people like them presented? Just a standalone thing? Part of a deep dive piece? Something else entirely? This probably needs to be in another thread... or it's own thread! (start one if you want!) But would love to hear the communities thoughts.

On this subject, there appears to be a demand for more AMAs on this site?? If more were to happen how would people like them presented? Just a standalone thing? Part of a deep dive piece? Something else entirely? This probably needs to be in another thread... or it's own thread! (start one if you want!) But would love to hear the communities thoughts.
I would like to personally speak to Carly Rae Jepsen, Corin Tucker, Beyonce, Robyn, Kathleen Hanna and Billy Idol. Please arrange for them to arrive at my house at 6 pm on the evening of their choosing. I'll work around their schedule.

Please and thank you.

I opened a new thread for this : https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/threads/needles-grooves-ama-brainstorm-thread.440/

Oops... @Captainfog can you move this thread to the General Music & Vinyl or Site Information & Updates section please?

I once ran into Nubya Garcia at the Porto airport. I just had received her 5ive the same morning before leaving on vacation, but I was too shy to go and talk to her.

I can't wait to see them in two weeks.

Tickets bought sent them a DM through IG asking about Merch.

Last edited:
So I was just looking on Instagram and Nubya Garcia put a video up of her room. Apart from the decent amount of records she has, check out the framed picture on the wall above the text.....looks to be the VMP Nina Simone art print.

View attachment 5172
I was surprised to find she listens to vinyl, because my copies of 5ive and There is a place are pretty shity. The mastering is pretty weak IMO, specially on 5ive, and I pllayed both the other day to find they had TONS of pops that weren't there before. I'll upload a video later in hope someone here can ideantify the reason for this, but I cleaned both records twice and the pops were still there, while I don't recall hearing them the other times I spun my copies.
Anyway, I just would think someone who collects vinyl would be more invested in the quality of the records they put out.

I was surprised to find she listens to vinyl, because my copies of 5ive and There is a place are pretty shity. The mastering is pretty weak IMO, specially on 5ive, and I pllayed both the other day to find they had TONS of pops that weren't there before. I'll upload a video later in hope someone here can ideantify the reason for this, but I cleaned both records twice and the pops were still there, while I don't recall hearing them the other times I spun my copies.
Anyway, I just would think someone who collects vinyl would be more invested in the quality of the records they put out.

Mine was terrible too, but I got sent a new one and it's fine. There was a problem with run and they got loads of duds. Nubya reached out directly to me on Facebook messenger and arranged for them to send me a new one.

Back