Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 0 - June 2019 /// MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE - Heritage Vol.1

I can't wait to see them in two weeks.

Tickets bought sent them a DM through IG asking about Merch.

Im actually seeing them on Sunday at a festival, they're the group im most looking forward to! Could you let us know if you get a response? Im also seeing them as part of their actual tour later in the year and would be intrigued to see what they are offering up on the merch stand.

I was surprised to find she listens to vinyl, because my copies of 5ive and There is a place are pretty shity. The mastering is pretty weak IMO, specially on 5ive, and I pllayed both the other day to find they had TONS of pops that weren't there before. I'll upload a video later in hope someone here can ideantify the reason for this, but I cleaned both records twice and the pops were still there, while I don't recall hearing them the other times I spun my copies.
Anyway, I just would think someone who collects vinyl would be more invested in the quality of the records they put out.

Hmmm now you have me questioning 5ive, I will get it out later and give it a spin. My copy of There is a Place is actually pretty good, there certainly isn't pops on it. I played the album to death a few weeks back in prep for seeing Kokoroko so Im pretty confident about that one being ok. Theyre also 2 different labels, Brownswood (There is a Place) and Jazz Re:Freshed (Nubya's 5ive), so thats really shitty luck for them both to be that bad.

Edit: @Captainfog (or should that be Detectivefog) has got to the bottom of it.

Mine was terrible too, but I got sent a new one and it's fine. There was a problem with run and they got loads of duds. Nubya reached out directly to me on Facebook messenger and arranged for them to send me a new one.
Wow, that's so nice from her. What's weird for me is that my copies sounded fine (as fine as those lame masterings can sound) before and the pops just appeared the other day, after hacing played both albums a handful of times with no issues.

On this subject, there appears to be a demand for more AMAs on this site?? If more were to happen how would people like them presented? Just a standalone thing? Part of a deep dive piece? Something else entirely? This probably needs to be in another thread... or it's own thread! (start one if you want!) But would love to hear the communities thoughts.
I'd personally love AMA for record labels, to have people come on and talk about the bands they sign, and future promos. I also like the idea of a deep dive into a specific genre or artist, not sure how that could be arranged but would be very educational for a lot of fans.

I'd personally love AMA for record labels, to have people come on and talk about the bands they sign, and future promos. I also like the idea of a deep dive into a specific genre or artist, not sure how that could be arranged but would be very educational for a lot of fans.

Would love to hear from guys who run the crate digger labels - for example the guy who started Analog Africa. He must have incredible stories to tell

I finally found a shop in town that can actually get Heritage from their distributor... Everyone else I talked to said it was backordered. Supposed to be in on Wednesday.

Asked about Heritage II, and that's on backorder for everyone I talk to. I guess I should just bite the bullet and order from Bandcamp before it's totally gone... I just hate dealing with shipping records if I don't have to.

Tomorrow is a big day and we have our very first AMA after our very first AOTM. You are ALL invited to ask @Mark de Clive-Lowe anything you want. Join us!

Mark will be dropping by for a short AMA tomorrow (June 10th) at 11:00am LA time.

If you can't make it but would like to ask him a question then post one here now. To make it super easy for him can I ask that before the AMA starts you only post questions and not go off on any tangents as I'd like him to be able to get stuck into the Q&A session as quickly and easily as possible without having to wade through any debates about whether a hotdog is a sandwich (by all means ask him this question though!) Thanks!

If this goes well then it'll go a long way to helping us to do more of these on the forum, so lets make it super fun and interesting for both him and us!

Set a reminder on your phones! See you all tomorrow!

Back