Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

tbh i have the stress of making mine way too obvious either through clues or just what people know me for....

my brain has trouble figuring out a single ROTM because there are a bunch i really like that i dont truly think are essential or i could gush about forever. as well as thinking about "how good is the pressing and mastering?" "is it unique enough to truly work with the club and all the other great stuff?" "how do i make it fun or have creative hints?"

If it helps, everyone of your predecessors will have these same thoughts.

1st - Go with an Album you love. Passion for the record will go a long way !

2nd - making clues interesting / not too easy is going to be a worry but actually - we don’t need much creativity.
Start obscure - vague genre clue etc Nothing very specific at all. Give out nothing that will pin it down.
Write out potential clues and put anything too obvious at the back - you could even get super organised and pick dates to drop them - stick to the dates and you will keep everyone guessing for a good couple of weeks. I’m sure every curator has let slip something too early because they got caught in the fun -

Which is ok too because everyone’s enjoying it !!!!
How’s that ?

Edit : And i’m the same - I’m useless at solving these clues !!! Don’t come close ever.

hey @ChristoBee I think I'm ready.
I can do it!

can you add me to the list of possible selectors please?
giphy.gif

2nd - making clues interesting / not too easy is going to be a worry but actually - we don’t need much creativity.
Start obscure - vague genre clue etc Nothing very specific at all. Give out nothing that will pin it down.
Write out potential clues and put anything too obvious at the back - you could even get super organised and pick dates to drop them - stick to the dates and you will keep everyone guessing for a good couple of weeks. I’m sure every curator has let slip something too early because they got caught in the fun -

How’s that ?

Edit : And i’m the same - I’m useless at solving these clues !!! Don’t come close ever.

Yeah I think the main thing is that you love it. I think that the passion on display with records picked has been a big part of why this whole thing is going so well, no one is just trying to be cool!

Well that and availability at a fair price on both sides of the Atlantic lol!

Last edited:

How’s that ?

@duke86fan - @ByersVinyl nailed it! I'm horrible at guessing and I was horrible at giving clues. I'm not creative at all. So I kinda went with "it's a woman", "it's after this year". And then you all guessed 2 albums that you thought it could be. So then I was trying to choose clues that matched both of those albums.

I did NOT map out my clues beforehand. I think others have and you can tell. And yes, mine was guessed early. But at the end of the day, it is about the actual music and the passion/love you bring to the table for that album.

Right, the guessing game is fun and adds a little flavor, but ultimately it's about (1) sharing something you care about/think is neato with the rest of the class (2) conversating with other forum members about the important issues of the day, such as favorite ice creams, rankings of fruit, and hotdog-a-sandwich-or-no?

tbh i have the stress of making mine way too obvious either through clues or just what people know me for....

my brain has trouble figuring out a single ROTM because there are a bunch i really like that i dont truly think are essential or i could gush about forever. as well as thinking about "how good is the pressing and mastering?" "is it unique enough to truly work with the club and all the other great stuff?" "how do i make it fun or have creative hints?"

I wouldn't worry too much on the technical aspects that are not up to us, like the pressing or the mastering. We're not manufacturing anything, so that's not up to us and we cannot do anything about that. So, yeah, don't spend a second thinking about that.

Hey, @ChristoBee , my schedule has unfortunately gotten quite insane lately and I haven't been able to spend as much time here as I used to (or would like to). I don't think I'd be a very good thread runner in the coming months. Could you please remove me from the list? When I do it, I wanna do it right! Thanks!

Hey, @ChristoBee , my schedule has unfortunately gotten quite insane lately and I haven't been able to spend as much time here as I used to (or would like to). I don't think I'd be a very good thread runner in the coming months. Could you please remove me from the list? When I do it, I wanna do it right! Thanks!
I do hope you will resubmit your name when life settles. You bring a ton of energy and engagement to the threads. I am looking forward to your month!

No problem, let me know when you're up for it again. :)

Back