Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

So I’m tempted, seeing as how well it’s all going to expand my month, when it arrives, and go for an autobiographical Anthology box set...

Disc 1: Album I was subjected to as a child
Disc 2: 10 year old Joe’s favourite album
Disc 3: britpop
Disc 4: Nu Metal
Disc 5: 00s indie
Disc 6: Modern Folk

Rest assured people, I won’t pick those “obvious” albums that you want in your collection. I will instead pick the obscure shit that wasn’t so much overlooked as ignored...

@Mather - get the crayons out, you’re hired as box designer
@Lee Newman you’re on booklet duty.

I’ll be conducting a web chat live from the armchair dept of Ikea Dublin, host tbc...

So I’m tempted, seeing as how well it’s all going to expand my month, when it arrives, and go for an autobiographical Anthology box set...

Disc 1: Album I was subjected to as a child
Disc 2: 10 year old Joe’s favourite album
Disc 3: britpop
Disc 4: Nu Metal
Disc 5: 00s indie
Disc 6: Modern Folk

Rest assured people, I won’t pick those “obvious” albums that you want in your collection. I will instead pick the obscure shit that wasn’t so much overlooked as ignored...

@Mather - get the crayons out, you’re hired as box designer
@Lee Newman you’re on booklet duty.

I’ll be conducting a web chat live from the armchair dept of Ikea Dublin, host tbc...
Wait - are you saying I can do a pop anthology for next month???? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

What? You can't afford the eleventy billion albums I just got excited about including in my pop anthology month????? We have to make up for all the years VMP refused to do pop!!!
I get this is all in jest, but I don’t dislike the idea (my wallet is a whole other thing). Maybe, as an evolution and a way to create more conversation in regards to the AOTM, the picker could suggest some RIYL albums for further exploration (be it vinyl or streaming or gasp @Joe Mac ‘s beloved compact discs)

I get this is all in jest, but I don’t dislike the idea (my wallet is a whole other thing). Maybe, as an evolution and a way to create more conversation in regards to the AOTM, the picker could suggest some RIYL albums for further exploration (be it vinyl or streaming or gasp @Joe Mac ‘s beloved compact discs)

In jest! Who could I possibly be lampooning with such a suggestion 🤪

Who doesn’t love a multipurpose mirror/coaster/music thingy? Also don’t you have more CDs than I do?

I am definitely going to have some other albums picked out for next month. Just a few more days before POP VOMITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

I'm currently working on my pick (spoiler alert: you'll love), but the 3-4 albums on my shortlist are not that easy to find. I wanted to ask a couple of questions in order to narrow my list down:

1. Would it be ok if I'm able to track down 30-40 total copies of a record trough different sellers? Say 10 on Amazon, 10 on another online retailer, 10 on ebay and 5 on discogs.

Last edited:
I’m not actively buying them (no, I don’t have a Rihanna Cd and a Punch Brothers CD Set on the way, why do you ask?)

To be fair I’m only buying the super cheap bargain shop ones and the odd thing I want to listen to but either: (a) they’re a cd artist that I can’t justify getting their entire catalogue on vinyl; (b) I don’t like them enough to justify €25-30 on vinyl; or (c) like “our native daughters” it’s not available on vinyl so I make do. That’s a pretty small window haha! It’s also exacerbated by the fact that I have no shame and will still share them as music things I’ve bought and I’m on a vinyl diet so the purchases stand out more...

I'm currently working on my pick (spoiler alert: you'll love), but the 3-4 albums on my shortlist are not that easy to find. One of them will be reissued on august, but it isn't on Amazon US yet, so I'll wait and see if it hits the US store once its released. In any case, I wanted to ask a couple of questions in order to narrow my list down:

1. In case the record I previously mentioned is only available through Amazon [REDACTED COUNTRY], would ya'll be ok with that? I preordered the record, and shipping doesn't seem to be that expensive, but I imagine it would be more expensive than domestic shipping.
2. In case a record is available on Amazon US through an external seller, is there a way to contact the seller and ask for the nuber of copies available?
3. Would it be ok if I'm able to track down 30-40 total copies of a record trough different sellers? Say 10 on Amazon, 10 on another online retailer, 10 on ebay and 5 on discogs.
I'd be ok with ordering from another country as long as shipping isn't insane. And I actually like this idea because it means it a bit more obscure for us here in the states.
No clue about contacting an Amazon seller to see how many they have.
Yes to 3 also. 30-40 seems like plenty!!!

I'm excited for your pick!!! And to be your wing-woman!

To be fair I’m only buying the super cheap bargain shop ones and the odd thing I want to listen to but either: (a) they’re a cd artist that I can’t justify getting their entire catalogue on vinyl; (b) I don’t like them enough to justify €25-30 on vinyl; or (c) like “our native daughters” it’s not available on vinyl so I make do. That’s a pretty small window haha! It’s also exacerbated by the fact that I have no shame and will still share them as music things I’ve bought and I’m on a vinyl diet so the purchases stand out more...
Yeah, that’s the deal with Rihanna, no vinyl and no streaming. The Punch Brothers is a deluxe version of Antifogmatic which has an ep exclusive to the set and a dvd of a show. I have to go back a couple of years to a Jazz cd not streaming and not on vinyl for the last one spent money on... actually that might have been before the deluxe Purple Rain.

Yeah, that’s the deal with Rihanna, no vinyl and no streaming. The Punch Brothers is a deluxe version of Antifogmatic which has an ep exclusive to the set and a dvd of a show. I have to go back a couple of years to a Jazz cd not streaming and not on vinyl for the last one spent money on... actually that might have been before the deluxe Purple Rain.

Yeah I’m happy accept that I can’t afford to buy everything on vinyl, that rebuying everything is a fools errand and I don’t like to split collections over formats. My vinyl buying far outstrips my cd buying but I’m happy still buy CDs where the need arises for me.

What’s with all the CD bashing, they still have a place, especially boxsets . Whose not looking forward to the next Pink Floyd set ? The early years box set on vinyl would have cost a fortune and took up half the house . Still the best thing for car listening too. The streaming revolution is crap in rural areas

What’s with all the CD bashing, they still have a place, especially boxsets . Whose not looking forward to the next Pink Floyd set ? The early years box set on vinyl would have cost a fortune and took up half the house . Still the best thing for car listening too. The streaming revolution is crap in rural areas

Don’t look in the fresh grabs thread from yesterday then, that was just rude...

I can't stand CD's, but more power to those who enjoy that format. My distaste for them is pretty arbitrary.

Back