Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

Seems to be about 30 or so that frequent the threads. I’d say that’s a good ballpark.
It would probably best to make sure it's easy to get

If you just mean not a lot of them on Amazon that's fine

If the official storefront has them up its fine
it looks like it's still available on the label's website, but I wish I knew for sure how many there were left. i'm thinking of trying to DM the artist on Twitter to see if they have any info on how limited it is, but they may not even know :/

So hypothetically, about how many people do we need to ensure can get a copy of the album we choose? I thought of an album that I really want to pick and there's several listings around but it seems to be on the cusp of "limited" so I'm worried about going through with it.

I think you’re getting way ahead of yourself. There are 31 people still to pick on the list so it may be 2 and a half years before it’s your turn and it may be sold out then...

Have a list of albums in your head that you both think are important enough and want to share and use the months notice as it was intended to check availability and come up with clues...

Last edited:
So hypothetically, about how many people do we need to ensure can get a copy of the album we choose? I thought of an album that I really want to pick and there's several listings around but it seems to be on the cusp of "limited" so I'm worried about going through with it.

I think you’re getting way ahead of yourself. There are 31 people still to pickon the list so it may be 2 and a half years before it’s your turn and it may be sold out then...

Have a list of albums in your head that you both think are important enough and want to share and use the months notice as it was intended to check availability and come up with clues...

Yup, what @Joe Mac said. I would also remember that it must be available for people in other countries (a few of the active members in this thread are in Europe). Apart of this, just have fun, pick a record you love and enjoy your month as the picker (and be prepared to be the runner).

I think you’re getting way ahead of yourself. There are 31 people still to pick on the list so it may be 2 and a half years before it’s your turn and it may be sold out then...

Yup, what @Joe Mac said. I would also remember that it must be available for people in other countries (a few of the active members in this thread are in Europe). Apart of this, just have fun, pick a record you love and enjoy your month as the picker (and be prepared to be the runner).
Yeah, I was getting ahead of myself lol. It's like @Alexander told me a while back when we were discussing AOTMs, "you'll be listening to an album one day and think 'this is the one'." That happened and I got hyper focused on one particular record but yeah, placing my bets on something that may or may not be widely available would be short sighted of me.

If the album I'm thinking of now is impossible to get by the time it rolls around to me, I've still got plenty of albums in mind that I could pick. Hell, assuming it's a year before it's my turn, who knows what could be pressed or repressed in that time so yeah it's best to try to just be patient

Yeah, I was getting ahead of myself lol. It's like @Alexander told me a while back when we were discussing AOTMs, "you'll be listening to an album one day and think 'this is the one'." That happened and I got hyper focused on one particular record but yeah, placing my bets on something that may or may not be widely available would be short sighted of me.

If the album I'm thinking of now is impossible to get by the time it rolls around to me, I've still got plenty of albums in mind that I could pick. Hell, assuming it's a year before it's my turn, who knows what could be pressed or repressed in that time so yeah it's best to try to just be patient

Oh don’t get me wrong the way my brain works I keep having ideas and thinking “oh that’d be an amazing AOTM” and clues seems to spiral from that. I am just trying not to focus in too hard on any one as “the one” or going so far as fretting about logistics or availability etc lol.

View attachment 12250

Allright ! @scotthilk you're on for October !

Also saved the MdCL AMA in links in the first post of this thread in order to find it back more easily.

Hey all,

Due to a semi-crazy work/wedding/travel schedule coming up, I am going to defer on this. Please put my name back in the hat for a future month, but I'd like to re-open up the drawing for someone else while I am in super busy mode! :)

Thanks again for running this. Love the community here!

I thought a lot about it and I am just kind of overwhelmed. I'd rather just casually visit here (ok, I live here) rather than run a thread, especially after doing the Apollo Sunshine ROTM special last month! :) Someone else take the reigns on October, and I'll jump in the next time I am picked!

Hey all,

Due to a semi-crazy work/wedding/travel schedule coming up, I am going to defer on this. Please put my name back in the hat for a future month, but I'd like to re-open up the drawing for someone else while I am in super busy mode! :)

Thanks again for running this. Love the community here!

As we discussed this in private, no problem. We are going on another ride for October ! You'll be back at the wheel soon, I hope. :)

And our new driver is...

01.png

@agutierrezb !

As we discussed this in private, no problem. We are going on another ride for October ! You'll be back at the wheel soon, I hope. :)

And our new driver is...

View attachment 12285

@agutierrezb !
Waaaaa is this for real?! Last week I had the same predicament as @gaporter, wondering if the albums I had in mind were too hard to find. I figured it would probably be a long time until it was my turn, so there was no need to worry, but now I'm up smh.

So how does this work? I'll make my mind up and come up with the hints, then I'll start the guess thread next month, is that right? Do I have to talk with anyone about the details on this?

Waaaaa is this for real?! Last week I had the same predicament as @gaporter, wondering if the albums I had in mind were too hard to find. I figured it would probably be a long time until it was my turn, so there was no need to worry, but now I'm up smh.

So how does this work? I'll make my mind up and come up with the hints, then I'll start the guess thread next month, is that right? Do I have to talk with anyone about the details on this?
pretty right

heres the basic idea
1. figure out your album
2. think about the hints you will do throughout the month (which i will use to remove many of the guesses people will make)
3. on september 1st, you start the thread and give your first clues.. updating it with more clues as you give them.. meanwhile the previous person (in this case teeee) will be managing the guesses and having an archive of the first post for step 4
4. at the chosen time (usually around the last week of the month, maybe a bit earlier or later than say the 24th). you post your official statement that what you chose is the ROTM and give a little bit of liner notes about why you like it and think it deserves to be listened to, usually some reviews and interviews, and some further listening (basically whatever you think could be a good complement to this album)

@duke86fan has said it all. You'll only need to coordinate with @Teeeee to launch your guess thread, and with the person that will follow you for November. Don't tell your pick to no one !

Back