Music News / Reviews

Interesting. She hasn't done a lot post-SNL but she was in Master Of None

One of her earlier gigs was performing at Esther's Follies here in Austin. Always thought she was really under utilized at SNL, but you never know what is going on behind the scenes there.

The more I listen to How To Be A Human Being. The more I think it may well be the best pop album of this decade.

New Hot Chip and Two Door Cinema Club were alright. Titus Andronicus was great, I got a lot of Replacements vibes listening to it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to this reunion tour. Or if I want to leave the perfect memory of their music undisturbed in my mind.
I've got original versions of their only two studio albums. They're fantastic, and if you don't have them, they were just reissued. They're well-loved in Portland, OR (talking about Team Dresch) not only for being a great band, but also for doing and standing up for the right things 20 years ago when it was a lot tougher to do so. Legends, IMO.

I've got original versions of their only two studio albums. They're fantastic, and if you don't have them, they were just reissued. They're well-loved in Portland, OR (talking about Team Dresch) not only for being a great band, but also for doing and standing up for the right things 20 years ago when it was a lot tougher to do so. Legends, IMO.
Very much agree - legends! I also liked Kaia's solo album, Kaia.

Are you gonna go see them on this tour?

… and 'Song for You', and 'Theme from Jerome', and …

Yes, this album is excellent, I couldn't agree more.

Just this morning Kishi Bashi announced the expansion of his tour into the Fall. If you live near one of these cities, you ought to see him and his band perform, they are amazing.

I know you posted this a few days back, but big thanks!! I checked for UK dates and just got tickets to see him at the most amazing little venue in central London. I saw Nahko there last year and its fantastic, its below a railway tunnel hidden away (literally 5 mins walk from the Shard). Cannot wait for this!!!

I know you posted this a few days back, but big thanks!! I checked for UK dates and just got tickets to see him at the most amazing little venue in central London. I saw Nahko there last year and its fantastic, its below a railway tunnel hidden away (literally 5 mins walk from the Shard). Cannot wait for this!!!

View attachment 8930

This venue reminds me of the canal-level cafes in Utrecht, Netherlands. Almost all those cafes on the canal were repurposed areas that used to be long storage cylinders for goods, and they all had that same domed ceiling.

I'm super excited for you. Kishi Bashi is one of maybe 5-6 acts I see every single time they pass through, because there is no place I'd rather be than in that space with those talented musicians. It is so incredible that we get to witness Kishi Bashi performances in venues of this size. Nearly every time I go I find a new friend or friends to bring who have never seen them, and I really should make a collection of the thank you texts and emails I get the next day. They're usually are written in ALL CAPS!

Protip: This isn't guaranteed, but could happen at any Kishi show. Stand about mid-front center in the crowd, because if they do an unplugged encore, they will come out to the middle of the venue to do it, and you'll be right there. This happened to me a couple weeks ago in NYC, and it was incredible.

This venue reminds me of the canal-level cafes in Utrecht, Netherlands. Almost all those cafes on the canal were repurposed areas that used to be long storage cylinders for goods, and they all had that same domed ceiling.

I'm super excited for you. Kishi Bashi is one of maybe 5-6 acts I see every single time they pass through, because there is no place I'd rather be than in that space with those talented musicians. It is so incredible that we get to witness Kishi Bashi performances in venues of this size. Nearly every time I go I find a new friend or friends to bring who have never seen them, and I really should make a collection of the thank you texts and emails I get the next day. They're usually are written in ALL CAPS!

Protip: This isn't guaranteed, but could happen at any Kishi show. Stand about mid-front center in the crowd, because if they do an unplugged encore, they will come out to the middle of the venue to do it, and you'll be right there. This happened to me a couple weeks ago in NYC, and it was incredible.
It happens at most and it’s usually easy to make it to mid crowd from the front after they leave the stage.

Back