Music News / Reviews

For anyone with an Andrew W.K. itch, he's releasing new vinyl pressings of his albums The Wolf and I Get Wet tomorrow.

The Wolf I believe has never been pressed to vinyl before, whereas I Get Wet has, but it's somewhat pricey on Discogs. The lowest I've seen I Get Wet is around $65ish.

Iggy Pop announced a new album. Interesting short ambient/jazzy title track or teaser.

Funny I thought Post Pop Depression was ostensibly his last LP. I'd like to see him do something a little more "out there" this round, but not as crappy as that last EP with Underworld. I just feel like Iggy is good enough to go out on an album as unique and memorable as something like Gil Scott Heron's I'm New Here. I'd like a whole project that vibes more like that track he did for the Good Times soundtrack.

So I finally opened and played my Cowboy Bebop record from the cowboy bebop collection and I want to give my review.

Ok so first of all I want to preface this review with i own both the official vinyl from the Cowboy Bebop collectors edition as well as the Bootleg version and that my review will be comparing both, so here we go:

Packaging/Cover art: for the Cowboy Bebop 2X Lp colored vinyl and imo it’s not quite up to par in comparison to the Bootleg which uses the artwork from the CD Soundtrack release. The artwork I’ve seen before in various cowboy bebop art books and it’s very generic. The Bootleg artwork gave the impression that the Seatbelts was actually a Jazz Band from the future and the Soundtrack was one of their releases, the Collectors edition artwork on the other hand feels like they just wanted to present it as the Cowboy Bebop OST only and nothing special. I prefer the Bootleg cover art a lot better. I want to add that upon opening the record, I was greeted to 2 black envelopes holding both records. Nothing printed on them. It’s very sloppy imo. This leads me to another gripe....The colored Vinyl sucks! So you get Red Vinyl with the crappiest looking sticker in Black and White that looks like it was copied using an HP printer at someone’s home. Nothing exciting or Appealing about it in any way. It’s really inexcusable for a release that many like myself have been waiting for and that deserves much more love than was given by Funimation.

Music: Okay here’s the meat of the review. So I put the first record on and listen to track 1 which is Tank or what many know as the opening theme to Cowboy Bebop, and I’m greeted by way too much bass. Now keep in mind I’ve listened to not only the Bootleg record but the CD as well and I don’t remember either being so bassy, so after I listen to Tank, I go grab the Bootleg and put it on and I was correct, not as much bass. The thing is with the Collectors edition vinyl is that the Bass is so intrusive that it muffled out a lot of the other instruments on the song. Now of course I could adjust my EQ on my receiver but I find it odd that of all the records I’ve played since buying my Marantz, that I haven’t had to adjust my EQ ,But Cowboy Bebop is the one I have to do that on. Even worse is the Bootleg has been mastered it seems better than the official release. I know it’s happened before but again Cowboy Bebop is known for its great music and for Funimation again to just rush out a pretty crappy sounding vinyl release for an anime which is beloved for its music is insane. I’m sure they’ve been getting request for years about a vinyl release of the Soundtrack and it seems they just wanted to shut everyone up with this release.

Overview and score: In The end while fans finally got the official Vinyl Soundtrack for Cowboy Bebop we always wanted, the pure laziness from Funimation totally ruins it for me at least, especially when you have a Bootleg floating around that sounds better, and it’s presentation is better in almost every conceivable way. As a matter of fact, if the Bootleg wasn’t missing 1 song (Egg & I) i’d Probably sell the one from the Collectors edition. As it stands i’ll Probably swap the records from the Collectors edition into the Bootlegs jacket and call it a day.

Overall I’d give this a 5/10 rating, mainly because everything about the Cowboy Bebop Collectors edition Vinyl screams laziness and Bebop doesn’t deserve that.

If you need some creative pop in your life featuring absolutely ABSURD vocal abilities, get on these new Caroline Polachek tracks (formerly half of Chairlift). "Door" dropped a few weeks ago, and today we get "Parachute" and "Ocean of Tears". Beats, production and especially vocals are off the charts.

EDIT: Here are the youtube links.

Door:

Parachute:

Ocean of Tears:

Last edited:
I thought it was a watered down, monotonous version of modest mouse. That may sound bad but bear in mind Modest Mouse are likely in my top 3 of best bands ever that I love and would take to the desert island. Unfortunately purple mountains would not even approach said list.
I changed my vote today. This is actually super fantastic. I maintain that some of the lyrical phrasing is still channeling Isaac Brock. The actual singing and song components are very Cake (and even Car Seat Headrest), too. But damn, the songs are really good. I had a good music day where I strictly listened to stuff I had previously passed over and managed to get more favorable on everything today.

@dhodo why the sad face?
Ha, sorry, I still don't get your comparisons but I'm really glad you like it! I think this is more appropriate :unsure:. I'm really glad you gave it another chance, it is next on my list of albums to order. To me vocally it just sounds like David Berman! 🤷‍♂️. I really like all those bands but have a hard time comparing any of them as similar.

The song where the chorus is “all my happiness is gone” is so Car Seat Headrest. Same song has a line about making strangers wherever he goes, that is so Brock.

Favorite track was Nights that won’t Happen. What a heavy hitter.

If you need some creative pop in your life featuring absolutely ABSURD vocal abilities, get on these new Caroline Polachek tracks (formerly half of Chairlift). "Door" dropped a few weeks ago, and today we get "Parachute" and "Ocean of Tears". Beats, production and especially vocals are off the charts.

Door:

Parachute:

Ocean of Tears:

I was initially sad with the breakup of Chairlift, but these new singles have wiped that out pretty instantly. Such an inspired and interesting direction.

I was initially sad with the breakup of Chairlift, but these new singles have wiped that out pretty instantly. Such an inspired and interesting direction.

I hear that. It was bittersweet for me when they broke up. Bitter because Caroline and Patrick had some serious music-making chemistry with Chairlift, and I didn't want it to end. Especially the album Something, which is in my top albums of this decade; the songwriting on Something is off the charts. Sweet because I knew they would still be making music individually. I'm very excited for Caroline's solo album, and I still follow Patrick's production and sound work with all sorts of artists (including Joji's "Slow Dancing in the Dark" that he co-wrote, produced and mixed).

I saw them back-to-back in Philly and then NYC for their last two shows ever as Chairlift, which was simply amazing.

Last edited:

Door:

Parachute:

Ocean of Tears:

Door has been my obsession since it was dropped. Can't wait to dive into these 2 new ones!

This is straight up impressive to watch. If you have 38 minutes to burn, I highly suggest you watch.
Kenny Beats and T-Pain make music production look way too easy.

Last edited:
Had a little fun putting together a GIF review of Bon Iver i,i, lovely album all around

giphy.gif

1. "Yi"
giphy.gif

2. "iMi"
giphy.gif

3. "We"
giphy.gif

4. "Holyfields,"
giphy.gif

5. "Hey, Ma"
giphy.gif

6. "U (Man Like)"