sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

I have tried really really hard to reserve judgment. But I think you all have sensed my hesitation with these new songs. I've said multiple times Janet is hardly even present in these first 2 songs. SK is not a synth band. I was able to remain pretty darn neutral when it came to the addition of Katie Harkin for the last album. I just kind of ignored her.

But this! THIS! THIS IS NOT OK!!!!

@Ginormousthumbs - i do not blame you. I won't, but I'm really skeptical now.

I know not all of their tour dates have sold out. I bet they will not at this point. They are a trio. None of them were more important than the other. And they don't work without all 3. Janet leaving is going to alienate a lot of fans.

I'm shook.

I’ve been referring to the new album as ‘St. Vincent Ruins Sleater-Kinney’.
I've had this thought in the back of my mine since they announced it. It is now coming true.

Even if this album ends up winning me over, it will be the album that made Janet leave.

NOT EVEN THE WOODS MADE CORIN LEAVE! And they were at each others' throats for that album. Pushing Corin to the brink on her vocals so much that she was in tears multiple times.

Ugh.

The S-K statement feels somewhat cold, and the album promo at the end is kind of telling. I'm guessing they probably aren't happy at all with her timing for this announcement.
It all feels like there was a HUGE blow up. And Janet sent out her statement while emotions were high. And C&C responded in kind.

I hate this.

They are a trio. None of them were more important than the other. And they don't work without all 3. Janet leaving is going to alienate a lot of fans.

Part of me wants to argue that Janet Weiss was sneakily their MVP (both Corin and Carrie have polarizing vocals, whereas Janet's drumming is unimpeachable), but I think your analysis actually spot on.

It's funny, I've never been a fan of sk. I bought the woods in the sub pop bundle but it hasn't clicked with me. But ive been loving everything off the new album because I love everything st Vincent touches. It does feel like sk does Masseduction but that's why I love it. Havent even thought what die hard fans were thinking

Yeah, I'll echo what's being said here. I'm not completely well-versed in SK, but I do love them. And so far the new songs haven't quite hit that spark for me. And so I do want to blame St. Vincent. Look, I love St. Vincent too. But her music itself has gotten less enjoyable as it has gone on, and I don't think what's she's interested in now works for SK's sound. I don't go to them for the same type of music I go to SV for.

So, why did Janet Weiss leave? At this point, it does certainly point to SV's change in their direction. And that's a real fucking bummer.

Blaming St. Vincent for this is horseshit and lazy.
Timing is suspect. Their sound is different. Janet was absent for those 2 songs they've released.

I don't think anyone knows what actually happened. We're all surmising. I also don't think anyone is being lazy - there is a lot of walking and talking like a duck. It might turn out to be a parrot that learned to ape the duck. We're a few hours into this news. As more develops, perhaps you're right. But I've had some deep skepticism since St. Vincent as producer was announced. And nothing that's happened since then has been convincing me my skepticism is misplaced.

Timing is suspect. Their sound is different. Janet was absent for those 2 songs they've released.

I don't think anyone knows what actually happened. We're all surmising. I also don't think anyone is being lazy - there is a lot of walking and talking like a duck. It might turn out to be a parrot that learned to ape the duck. We're a few hours into this news. As more develops, perhaps you're right. But I've had some deep skepticism since St. Vincent as producer was announced. And nothing that's happened since then has been convincing me my skepticism is misplaced.
Both singles are excellent but besides that point. They are a band of adults and professionals who are capable of making their own decisions. They chose to push their sound in a new direction and they chose STV to help them do that.

The timing is what I keep going back to more than anything. She must have just reached a breaking point with all of it to jump ship before the album release and tour. And if she had felt unsure about the direction of things prior to or during recording, would things have played out differently? Like, maybe the record that is coming out doesn't have the S-K name, and is more of a Carrie-Corin-St Vincent collaboration? We'll never know, but in hindsight, that seems like it would have been a better way for all this to have played out.

I really like St. Vincent, and I'm sure that, as a S-K fan herself, this is the last thing she wanted. I'm only speculating here, but I would imagine this was a bit of a dream project for her, and to now have that project be associated with Janet leaving probably makes her sick. I liked the first released single from the new record, but was less high on the second one.

Both singles are excellent but besides that point. They are a band of adults and professionals who are capable of making their own decisions. They chose to push their sound in a new direction and they chose STV to help them do that.
Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

The timing is what I keep going back to more than anything. She must have just reached a breaking point with all of it to jump ship before the album release and tour. And if she had felt unsure about the direction of things prior to or during recording, would things have played out differently? Like, maybe the record that is coming out doesn't have the S-K name, and is more of a Carrie-Corin-St Vincent collaboration? We'll never know, but in hindsight, that seems like it would have been a better way for all this to have played out.

I really like St. Vincent, and I'm sure that, as a S-K fan herself, this is the last thing she wanted. I'm only speculating here, but I would imagine this was a bit of a dream project for her, and to now have that project be associated with Janet leaving probably makes her sick. I liked the first released single from the new record, but was less high on the second one.
I actually liked the 2nd better. I hadn't fully digested either of them - I was waiting for the full thing.

It's going to be hard to listen to them without judgement now without having today's news in the back of my head.

Back