Movies

Next you're gonna tell me there's a cinephile podcast called "Dunston Checks In" by some Australian guy named Dunston.

Now I need to find someone named Mac to start a podcast with me called "Mac and Me."

maxresdefault_1_0_0.jpg

I have been meaning to binge some of Bong Joon-Ho's films for a while. Like a lot of people, I watched Parasite (several times now) and loved it. Annoyingly they seem tricky to find, with some of the suggested ones not being on streaming platforms.

However, I did watch Okja last night. What a crazy film. I liked the premise (as bizarre as it is) and there's some fantastic scenes, but I didn't expect the harrowing nature of the later parts. It certainly wasn't a feel good ending either.

Has anyone else seen it, what did you think?

I have been meaning to binge some of Bong Joon-Ho's films for a while. Like a lot of people, I watched Parasite (several times now) and loved it. Annoyingly they seem tricky to find, with some of the suggested ones not being on streaming platforms.

However, I did watch Okja last night. What a crazy film. I liked the premise (as bizarre as it is) and there's some fantastic scenes, but I didn't expect the harrowing nature of the later parts. It certainly wasn't a feel good ending either.

I love it, @gouis abhors it. Balance in nature.

PM me if you’d like to try my Plex library, I’ve got his available non-Netflix filmography on there.

Yeah not into the pig rape and holocaust in what otherwise has the vibes of a children's movie. He has serious tone issues (also in The Host and Snowpiercer). Although I just picked up the new criterion Memories of Muder from the library so interested to see if Parasite was really the only one I'm that into.

In general I prefer the work of Park Chan-wook if we're discussing Korean films. Handmaiden and Oldboy are unassailable

Yeah not into the pig rape and holocaust in what otherwise has the vibes of a children's movie. He has serious tone issues (also in The Host and Snowpiercer). Although I just picked up the new criterion Memories of Muder from the library so interested to see if Parasite was really the only one I'm that into.
You oughta watch Mother. I think that, MoM and Parasite are his masterpieces.

In general I prefer the work of Park Chan-wook if we're discussing Korean films. Handmaiden and Oldboy are unassailable
I think when it boils down to it, Park Chan-Wook, Bong Joon-Ho and Lee Chang-Dong are the big three of the last 20 years. All great at their own thing.

Strongly recommend The Host. Dude's had his own unique flare for years.

Do you think that's a cultural thing? Korean TV is incredibly reserved, but their movies get pretty wild. I mean even Oldboy, as fantastic as a film as it is, hits on some incredibly fucked up themes. I know they remade it in the US, but I never saw that version.

I've noticed in some Japanese films, even light-hearted and comedic ones it can get really uncomfortably weird, too.

Do you think that's a cultural thing? Korean TV is incredibly reserved, but their movies get pretty wild. I mean even Oldboy, as fantastic as a film as it is, hits on some incredibly fucked up themes. I know they remade it in the US, but I never saw that version.

I've noticed in some Japanese films, even light-hearted and comedic ones it can get really uncomfortably weird, too.
I think it's just the two biggest South Korean directors that we're familiar with both have really idiosynchratic styles. I'm sure there are plenty of others that don't don't get as crazy as the last 20 minutes of Oldboy.

Burning (2018) is an incredibly reserved film. One of the best movies of the last decade btw.

Finally sat down and watched Old Joy, my first (long overdue) Reichardt movie. This movie's been on my radar since it came out; I don't know what capacity I saw the trailer in (maybe it was one of the inexplicable slew of trailers sitting in my itunes back then), but I remembered so many shots of it from college. Back then I knew the movie had a reputation for being slow and light on events; I'm glad I hadn't seen it until now because now all I have is patience for slow, eventless movies. I also spent this weekend on a couples camping trip, and the conversation of adult male friendships came up; this movie was some uncanny supplemental material for that convo.

It’s an enjoyable podcast! I recommend it if you’ve got a lot of free time.

I believe @Bull Shannon is also a fan.
Blank it!

Blank Check is very enjoyable, especially if you are/were the kind of person to track box office listings in the paper on Monday mornings or believe any movie with any amount of M Emmett Walsh or Harry Dean Stanton in it is worthy of your time.

Back