Movies

That's a hard pass from me. Rob Zombie is a terrible director and I don't need to see Eddie as some depraved pervert or Grandpa going on a murder spree.
He's supposedly a huge fan of the original, so I would hope he would try to catch that original spirit of it instead of his usual shtick. His track record isn't really my bag, but I'm kind of intrigued how this turns out.

That's a hard pass from me. Rob Zombie is a terrible director and I don't need to see Eddie as some depraved pervert or Grandpa going on a murder spree.
He's supposedly a huge fan of the original, so I would hope he would try to catch that original spirit of it instead of his usual shtick. His track record isn't really my bag, but I'm kind of intrigued how this turns out.
What @ayayrawn said. Whatever you want to say about his skills as a filmmaker, the man lives and breathes horror and has a deep respect for the classics. The main issue his movies have is that there is clearly no one around to keep him from going off the rails, and I have to believe this Munsters movie is going to be a more mainstream production. I'm not usually into the idea of directors having restrictions put on them, but in Zombie's case it might help to have someone restraining him a little bit. Either way, I have a feeling this will be an example of him trying to do something different and I think it will be more fun and campy than violent and disturbing.

What @ayayrawn said. Whatever you want to say about his skills as a filmmaker, the man lives and breathes horror and has a deep respect for the classics. The main issue his movies have is that there is clearly no one around to keep him from going off the rails, and I have to believe this Munsters movie is going to be a more mainstream production. I'm not usually into the idea of directors having restrictions put on them, but in Zombie's case it might help to have someone restraining him a little bit. Either way, I have a feeling this will be an example of him trying to do something different and I think it will be more fun and campy than violent and disturbing.
I hope you're right. The whole point of The Munsters was that they looked the part of scary monsters but were more wholesome and mundane than most everyone else. I worry that concept will be lost in a reboot. Culture has changed a lot, so adapting the family into today's dynamic worries me. He might go campy horror, which is not what the Munsters were about, the exact opposite as a matter of fact. Or the other way and integrate them into today's society and I'm not sure I want to see Eddie as a hypebeast YouTuber, either.

There are some things that could benefit from a reboot or modern adaptation, I don't think The Munsters is one of them.

My journey through movies is currently going through 1954. Finished up 2 Japan films the last couple nights. Seven Samurai...I wasnt looking forward to this one mostly cause the length put me off. The 3 1/2 hours or so went by really quick though as it was a damn great film. I didn't realize how beloved it was until reading about it afterwards. The other was the original Godzilla. Figured it was going to be mostly cheesy, but actually also a really good one!

Finally got around to Saint Maud before it leaves Prime tomorrow. Very, very good. Almost wish we'd done the double feature with The Vigil as I'd planned, but we knocked that one out the other week.

My journey through movies is currently going through 1954. Finished up 2 Japan films the last couple nights. Seven Samurai...I wasnt looking forward to this one mostly cause the length put me off. The 3 1/2 hours or so went by really quick though as it was a damn great film. I didn't realize how beloved it was until reading about it afterwards. The other was the original Godzilla. Figured it was going to be mostly cheesy, but actually also a really good one!
Seven Samurai rules.

Finally got around to Saint Maud before it leaves Prime tomorrow. Very, very good. Almost wish we'd done the double feature with The Vigil as I'd planned, but we knocked that one out the other week.

There was a few I missed out on as they were leaving Prime - Saint Maud and Spontaneous.

I just got the score for Saint Maud the other day.

And I think Spontaneous is now on Paramount +, so I can still see that.

EDIT - looks like both moved to Paramount +

Back