Movies

I think it wouldn’t even be nearly as big of a deal had Academy played it straight and not leaned so hard into the Chadwick Boseman tribute. You can kinda see why they did as Boseman, I am fairly certain; won every other Best Actor award this year but still... They gave out Boseman NTF’s in the swag bags this year for god sake.
They should have read the tea leaves of the BAFTAs...there was always a chance this was going to happen after that Hopkins win.

I think it wouldn’t even be nearly as big of a deal had Academy played it straight and not leaned so hard into the Chadwick Boseman tribute. You can kinda see why they did as Boseman, I am fairly certain; won every other Best Actor award this year but still... They gave out Boseman NTF’s in the swag bags this year for god sake.

Exactly, it comes across so explotative the way they did it. At least it's stone cold proof that The Academy truly doesn't know who won beforehand.

They should have read the tea leaves of the BAFTAs...there was always a chance this was going to happen after that Hopkins win.

Yeah, as someone who's followed this for months, Hopkins was a close 2nd, and before it was confirmed that Boseman would be campaigned lead, he was the runaway favorite. I wouldn't have put money on Boseman.

Fran and Anthony. Franthony. #OscarsSoWhite that they think giving the supporting awards to POC will get them off the hook.
I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not, but there were as many POC in the acting categories this year as the last 3 years combined. Representation and diversity is a constant goal and still needs some work, but this was probably the least #oscarssowhite ever.

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not, but there were as many POC in the acting categories this year as the last 3 years combined. Representation and diversity is a constant goal and still needs some work, but this was probably the least #oscarssowhite ever.
Yeah, they’re getting there. I think people are buying into the theory that they bumped the acting categories to the end to build hype for Chadwick, but I don’t know why they’d do it otherwise.

This tweet seems to sum up the feelings pretty well.

AC297CA2-902F-49D7-83D1-F415BC79C2FA.jpeg

Last night I just watched, not seeing social media or checking this thread, so sorry for the thought dump:
  • I like the format overall; considering how they could've leaned on clips, prepared skits/videos, and canned performance to carry them through, it was very impressive that they just gave each nominee a detailed intro and speeches were given time to be shaggy (the two guys who won best animated short [I think, or maybe it was doc?] didn't get this note, obviously).
  • That said, I kinda missed clips and montages, at least for Best Picture.
  • The wins weren't incredibly inspiring; I loved Kaluuya's win and speech.
  • Actor/Actress were incredibly uninspiring, especially with the rearrangement
  • I had zero clue the rearrangement of announcements was in anticipation of a Boseman win/tribute. Maybe we were talking over too much of the ceremony, but the way people online are trashing this move is a bit puzzling to me. Did the Academy really say that was their plan? And did they really come up with such a dumb plan without being sure of a Boseman win?
  • Either way, the Hopkins win was underwhelming, both in terms of choice and the lack of actual Hopkins.
  • Beyond the whiffed ending...best Oscars in a while?

Yeah, they’re getting there. I think people are buying into the theory that they bumped the acting categories to the end to build hype for Chadwick, but I don’t know why they’d do it otherwise.

This tweet seems to sum up the feelings pretty well.

View attachment 96972

Just to note, I think the person Tweeting is inaccurately stating the process of how supporting/lead is chosen. It's pure voter whims. The studio campaigned for Stanfield to be the lead of Judas and the Black Messiah and Kaluuya supporting. Now there is a 100% fair question to "If Judas and The Black Messiah are both supporting, who is the lead?".

This isn't to say that the main point is wrong at all.

While the Oscar voters as a whole have certainly been recognizing a greater number of actors/actresses who are people of color and movies that go beyond pure stereotype, voters do tend to reward white leads at the end of it all and, if I'm being honest, I still think that the Academy, on the whole, tend to underrepresent films starring people of color and about topics or environments that are primarily of or about people of color. Especially if the topic isn't really dark. For instance, the lack of One Night in Miami is kind of shocking as I thought that was a noticeably better movie than much of the best picture slate and had several acting performances worthy of consideration. I thought it was the best movie among the slate of "one room dramas" in the field and Trial of Chicago 7 got the film nods and Ma Rainey got the actor nods (Ma Rainey deserved the actors nods tbh, but so did One Night).

I think it's possible to say both that Anthony Hopkins likely earned the hell out of this Oscar (I didn't watch it as a personal choice but everyone said he was amazing) and acknowledge that a black actor hasn't won Best Actor since 2006 and a black actress hasn't won Best Actress since 2001 (which I think is the only time with Halle Berry). I'm definitely not dismissing the point and think it's important to keep in the back of my mind at least as I watch the films (admittedly, my slate of winners may have been even more white and that's a reflection on my bias as much as anything...)

Edit: To the larger Oscars point, I thought the show kind of stunk. I really liked the intros in some spots, I REALLY missed the clips for actors and films, the reorganization was a nonsensical thing before and a disaster afterwards (lead off with Best Actor/Actress if you want to highlight it that bad, Best Picture should always end the show). The camerawork was all over the place. Every other major award show did it better with less time in my view.

That said, I kinda missed clips and montages, at least for Best Picture.
They showed clips for Best Picture it was the only award they showed clips for. I thought them not showing clips was an incredibly poor decision especially for categories like cinematography and design awards, movies are a visual medium, they should show off. Other than that and even ignoring the Chadwick Boseman debacle, I thought this was one of the worst ceremonies I can remember and there already lots in of terrible ones to choose from (the Anne Hathaway & James Franco hosted, yikes). There were very few memorable moments outside of Glenn Close doin’ “Da Butt” and Youn Yuh-jung acceptance speech. Beyond that it was light on fun and surprises (beyond the one “sure thing” the event was banking on). Award shows like last night make miss the schlockiness of the Billy Crystal hosted Oscars.

Finally watched last year's The Grudge film entry, and as someone for whom Ju-On is a top 5 movie, now I'm just sad. Why do I do this to myself? (I've yet to watch Origins on Netflix.)

Any of y'all that did (or didn't) do Sundance and didn't watch We're All Going to the World's Fair or El Planeta, you have another chance soon...

www.filmlinc.org/daily/celebrating-50th-years-of-new-directors-new-films-2021-lineup-announced/
Friendly reminder that We're All Going to the World's Fair is now available to rent for the next 5 days.

The Mitchells Vs The Machines is a great movie. It’s weird and funny and the style of it is super unique. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it initially but I was won over very fast.
It’s wild that Lord and Miller have become some of the definitive cinematic minds of the generation.

The Mitchells Vs The Machines is a great movie. It’s weird and funny and the style of it is super unique. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it initially but I was won over very fast.
We watched it today and really liked it. I enjoyed the subtle digs at social media, specifically Facebook. Sony Animation have just been knocking it out of the park lately. Almost makes me sad that Lord and Miller got booted off the Star Wars Solo movie. I'm oddly curious how it would've played out if they had been able to complete their version.

Back