Movies

The problem with these films is the gap between what they teased and what they delivered. The movies are fine -- I guess -- but they are not anywhere close to their potential.
I would agree with that. I thought they were much better movies than the films that directly followed Alien 3 which I understand isn’t saying much but if you want to explore the Alien world further these were much better than what had been put out prior. Also Michael Fassbender’s David might be the best sentient AI villain since H.A.L.

The first AVP is not at all bad for what it is. It could have been much worse and I give credit to the filmmakers for actually trying to make a decent movie when it would have been very easy to phone it in. It's not a masterpiece or anything but I don't mind watching it every once in a while.

Prometheus and Covenant both exited my brain right after I watched them, they have just no staying power, with the exception of one scene in Prometheus that I think anyone who saw the movie will remember. What's especially bad is I'm pretty sure I saw Covenant two or three times in the theater and all I remember about it now is some shots where the alien looked cool. I've only seen Prometheus a few times but it's just not a super memorable movie to me 😕

I've been working through the Alien/Predator/Alien VS Predatoror movies and after the first few it seems the same as what you described.

The quality drops massively but they are still fun. I just finished Alien Covenant last night which had some bad CGI but an ok storyline. I think I just have 'The Predator' left then im finished.

We also started the Final Destination series from the beginning the other day. Its been ages since I saw any of them but I imagine it will be the same 'so bad its good' situation.
Yeah, the Alien and Final Destination franchises are in the same boat for me. Progressively worse, but still dumb fun in the moment. At the same time, I'm the same as @gaporter in that I don't honestly remember much about the later movies, even having seen then multiple times each. I do remember liking Danny McBride's part in that movie. He's always been a big goofball to me, but it seemed like he was trying to be more serious here, and I appreciated the effort.

The original Alien quadrilogy or whatever they call it these days is an absolutely fascinating film series. It's essentially like an improv exercise between four directors where one person starts a story and the next person takes whatever the person before them said and goes in whatever direction they want with it. All four movies feel like they're from entirely different franchises and it's so strangely interesting to see how each film takes the ideas set by the first film and just goes in radically different directions with them.

The original Alien quadrilogy or whatever they call it these days is an absolutely fascinating film series. It's essentially like an improv exercise between four directors where one person starts a story and the next person takes whatever the person before them said and goes in whatever direction they want with it. All four movies feel like they're from entirely different franchises and it's so strangely interesting to see how each film takes the ideas set by the first film and just goes in radically different directions with them.
This is such a good point!

I do remember when Prometheus first came out I didn't realise it was part of the Alien series, not sure if it was kept under wraps or if I just never saw any of the promo stuff before watching it. Quite a cool realisation to have during the film.

The entire Hellraiser franchise > Every other horror/sci-fi franchise that starts with 1-2 decent movies then has 4-5 direct to DVD movies and/or multiple reboots

(Mostly because my wife and I watched all 9 or 10 of these on Netflix when we first started dating. Parts 5-10 are all direct to DVD and most of them are non-Hellraiser horror/mystery scripts that they just added 3-4 Pinhead scenes into. Those were much more fun to watch than any of the Predator reboots or Alien prequels for me)

This is such a good point!

I do remember when Prometheus first came out I didn't realise it was part of the Alien series, not sure if it was kept under wraps or if I just never saw any of the promo stuff before watching it. Quite a cool realisation to have during the film.
Same here! I watched it without much info on it at all. Maybe that's why I wasnt disappointed. I actually was thinking it was ripping off Alien ( not necessarily a bad thing I loved alien) and I didn't realized the connection until that scene lol

Bad Alien movies are still an order of magnitude better than the Resident Evil movies.
I must say the thing I liked most about RE is that they are fun cheesy mindless action movies. There's something very distinctly early 2000s in feel about it. Mila in not a lot of clothes wrecking zombies to an electronic soundtrack. The bad cgi, it all holds a place special in my heart. The second one felt like I was watching cheesy cutscenes from a game. Which if I wanted to do, I'd play the games

I personally find Prometheus to be a damn fine movie, just a weird addition to the Alien franchise. Almost like a wonderful tangential universe movie with a little tie in at a few points.

Alien is the best movie of them all though.
An atmospheric masterpiece with some of the best set designs out there

EDIT - whoops, it was supposed to be addition rather than addiction, lol

Last edited:
In The Heights is an exceedingly good movie in pretty much everyway and if you haven't been back yet is a great candidate for the return to theaters. 9.5/10 movie at least.

Back