Movies

Describe to me one interesting or innovative thing Dogtooth did. Concept, acting, characterization, camera-work, plot, music, anything.

It’s a short film stretched into 90 minutes.
Love the themes explored about institutions that are meant to protect us or pretend to protect us but instead betray that social contract or inherent trust. All within the confines of a family that lives under “quarantine”. It’s the most essential film I can think of at the moment, one that perfectly captures our current predicament.

I would love for it to get a physical Criterion release

Love the themes explored about institutions that are meant to protect us or pretend to protect us but instead betray that social contract or inherent trust. All within the confines of a family that lives under “quarantine”. It’s the most essential film I can think of at the moment, one that perfectly captures our current predicament.

I would say that's the concept of the film but the theme is never explored. Nothing really changes or happens, it's just like "homeschooling, AMIRIGHT!?"

I would say that's the concept of the film but the theme is never explored. Nothing really changes or happens, it's just like "homeschooling, AMIRIGHT!?"
I would argue that each child represents a different test subject with various outcomes. The oldest daughter begins to questions the nature of her surroundings, and as the movie unfolds the cracks in these “institutions” begin to show and slowly unravel.

I don't know how I feel about Yorgos Lanthimos. I liked The Favourite, but I think that might have more to do with Tony McNamara (as demonstrated by the greatness of The Great). I did not like The Lobster. I was going to watch Killing of a Sacred Deer to really nail down an opinion, but now y'all have me wanting to watch Dogtooth! The good debate has piqued my interest!

I don't know how I feel about Yorgos Lanthimos. I liked The Favourite, but I think that might have more to do with Tony McNamara (as demonstrated by the greatness of The Great). I did not like The Lobster. I was going to watch Killing of a Sacred Deer to really nail down an opinion, but now y'all have me wanting to watch Dogtooth! The good debate has piqued my interest!
I *really* wanted to like The Lobster, but it started to lose me.

For anyone who's interested, I thought Yorgos' WTF interview with Marc Maron was pretty interesting, and it made me want to go back and watch Dogtooth for the first time.

Now that I think about it, that episode is probably old enough that it could be behind the paywall by now, but it was a good discussion.

You should definitely watch it! Me arguing that it's "bad" doesn't mean it's not worth watching.

I am with you though, The Favourite is GREAT but the Lobster also left me cold (wife also hated Lobster and Dogtooth). Kind of feel like The Favourite will be the outlier in his filmography.

I would argue that each child represents a different test subject with various outcomes. The oldest daughter begins to questions the nature of her surroundings, and as the movie unfolds the cracks in these “institutions” begin to show and slowly unravel.
I hear you, but all the interpretations and analysis of the movie I've seen don't feel supported by the text. Lots of crazy "theories" but none of that is in the movie.

Also the copy I got from the library is a Kino Lorber release so I wouldn't hold my breath on Criterion.

The Favourite is definitely his most accessible (and imo BEST) film. I loved it. The Lobster is difficult and I think his stunted dialogue works far better in a film like Dogtooth which I would slot right behind The Favourite. I havent seen Alps or Kinetta.

Killing of a Sacred Deer is so dark that I found it to be a little too far outside of my comfort zone. I read some analysis afterwards that added some context to the tragedy that it borrows from but still....just a soulless and dark fucking movie. Reminded me of The Shining in moments (which is actually my favorite film of all time) but still never worked for me. That said, the performances are v good.

Last edited:
Correct. You have to be an existing Disney+ subscriber. You then will have the option of paying $30 extra to rent Mulan. This is what ESPN+ does for UFC fights.

Back