Movies

There’s a Wong Kar Wai box set coming at some point, too.

I’d recommend Kurosawa’s High and Low, it’s a masterpiece.

Linklater’s Before... trilogy?

The Qatsi Trilogy?
I thought about the Before Trilogy because I adore it, just haven’t jumped because I own them all on standard dvd. Though I eventually want that great looking box. High and Low was also one I considered.

So I’ve added 14 Criterion movies to my collection this sale and my budget currently allows for 4-5 more. I can’t make up my mind on what to buy. I’ll take any and all suggestions.

current collection is:

The 400 Blows
Band of Outsiders
Brazil
Certified Copy
Close-up
Come and See
M
The Night of the Hunter
Notorious
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Stalker
Tree of Life
The Wages of Fear
Wild Strawberries

I’m very light on Asian cinema. So that is something I’m wanting to target (Seven Samurai is basically sold out everywhere). I was thinking Ikiru and In the Mood for Love as 2 choices. I also considered Woman in the Dunes, House, Tokyo Story, and Brighter Summer Day. But some other favorites like Paris, Texas and Days of Heaven and Breathless are calling my name.

I also want to stay away from Bergman, Varda, Cassavetes, and del Toro because I plan on buying those amazing box sets one day.
We discussed some criterion samurai movies a while back that I still need to check out. Of what I have seen, I really loved Hara-kiri when I saw it years ago and would recommend it. I haven't seen the Criterion version though. You can't really go wrong with other Kurosawa either. Rashomon and Yojimbo are excellent. I really need to see some others, I don't think I ever saw Ikiru.

So I’ve added 14 Criterion movies to my collection this sale and my budget currently allows for 4-5 more. I can’t make up my mind on what to buy. I’ll take any and all suggestions.

current collection is:

The 400 Blows
Band of Outsiders
Brazil
Certified Copy
Close-up
Come and See
M
The Night of the Hunter
Notorious
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Stalker
Tree of Life
The Wages of Fear
Wild Strawberries

I’m very light on Asian cinema. So that is something I’m wanting to target (Seven Samurai is basically sold out everywhere). I was thinking Ikiru and In the Mood for Love as 2 choices. I also considered Woman in the Dunes, House, Tokyo Story, and Brighter Summer Day. But some other favorites like Paris, Texas and Days of Heaven and Breathless are calling my name.

I also want to stay away from Bergman, Varda, Cassavetes, and del Toro because I plan on buying those amazing box sets one day.
Hold out on in the mood for love (even tho it's one of my all time favs), a Wong kat wai boxset is coming this year.

Some potential Asian cinema picks (a few I* need to see, but I hear all are good): Tokyo story, kagemusha, harakiri, sansho the bailiff, ugetsu, throne of blood (excellent), a story from chikamatsu

Last edited:
Hold out on in the mood for love (even tho it's one of my all time favs), a Wong kat wai boxset is coming this year.

Some potential Asian cinema picks (a few I* need to see, but I hear all are good): Tokyo story, kagemusha, harakiri, sansho the bailiff, ugetsu, throne of blood (excellent), a story from chikamatsu
Ah nice. I’m also avoiding Felini, I’ve heard there’s a big box set coming as well.

This is an interesting development.

Universal Pictures and AMC Theaters have reached a deal that all new Universal Movies will come to iTunes and other digital movie platforms 17 days after their Theatrical Release. Currently it's 75 Days for all Universal films. This also appears to be the new golden standard going forward for Universal, and not just a temp COVID world change of business.

Also Barnes and Noble just sold me an Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema with a small corner sing for $100. Maybe the greatest purchase I’ve ever made? 39 movies for $100???

Also blew my budget and snagged Brighter Summer Day, Tokyo Story and Ikiru.

High and Low and House were my runner ups. Next sale! Unless I sell some more records, that’s been funding this endeavor.

Also Barnes and Noble just sold me an Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema with a small corner sing for $100. Maybe the greatest purchase I’ve ever made? 39 movies for $100???

Also blew my budget and snagged Brighter Summer Day, Tokyo Story and Ikiru.

High and Low and House were my runner ups. Next sale! Unless I sell some more records, that’s been funding this endeavor.
Hot damn

Sounds like Saban (finally) released Calm With Horses as The Shadow of Violence in the US at "select theaters" this past Friday. If anyone's local has it available for socially distant streaming, please let me know! All I can find is in-person viewings at one theater all the way down in OKC.

It will hit VOD on September 1, and at this point I guess I can with till then, though I may finally invest in a VPN to get around this BS in the future.

Back