Movies

Something about it also felt extremely misogynistic
MASSIVELY misogynistic; it's about a man who feels so entitled to happiness and finds every single person around him so boring and interchangeable, then finds one person who he not only projects specialness on due to external traits (voice), he also finds her entirely accessible and attractive through her low self-esteem and submissiveness. I don't think that's very deep subtext, but I didn't exactly feel like the movie was condemning this guy so much as using him as a midlife crisis sounding board.

MASSIVELY misogynistic; it's about a man who feels so entitled to happiness and finds every single person around him so boring and interchangeable, then finds one person who he not only projects specialness on due to external traits (voice), he also finds her entirely accessible and attractive through her low self-esteem and submissiveness. I don't think that's very deep subtext, but I didn't exactly feel like the movie was condemning this guy so much as using him as a midlife crisis sounding board.

Kaufman does seem drawn toward deeply sad, shitty men as lead characters, but it's generally in a sort of flagellant way.

The reviews have been...unkind
Really? I've heard it's certainly a niche, but most of the reviews I have seen are good.

I imagine your enjoyment will derive from how much you like his work.

Really? I've heard it's certainly a niche, but most of the reviews I have seen are good.

I imagine your enjoyment will derive from how much you like his work.

Maybe it was just a small sample size of reviews from sites I frequent:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't recall feeling that it was misogynistic at all. I remember thinking that the guy was obviously pathetic, but sympathetic to some degree. It wasn't only women that he viewed as the same, it was literally everyone. I remember being pretty moved by it in the end. Again, it's been a while though.

Criterion announced their Essential Fellini box yesterday. 14 films. $250 ($200 really). Should be able to get it in November at the Barnes and Noble sale for $125.

Just an incredible deal, especially when compared to the prices on these VMP boxes (obviously I’d imagine cutting vinyl is a more $$ process than replicating DVD’s but still). The box, the book. Can’t wait

Already have $250 earmarked for Fellini and Varda boxes come November. Let’s go. (Not to mention the Cassavetes, Demy, and Ray boxes and maybe the Before, Koker, and Color Trilogies)

Criterion announced their Essential Fellini box yesterday. 14 films. $250 ($200 really). Should be able to get it in November at the Barnes and Noble sale for $125.

Just an incredible deal, especially when compared to the prices on these VMP boxes (obviously I’d imagine cutting vinyl is a more $$ process than replicating DVD’s but still). The box, the book. Can’t wait
I have recently fallen in love with Fellini, but the box on this is meh to me.

Holding out hope for the rumored Wong Kar Wai set.

I have recently fallen in love with Fellini, but the box on this is meh to me.

Holding out hope for the rumored Wong Kar Wai set.
I think it covers a lot of ground. Obviously it’s not the complete works but for someone that owns no Fellini (me) it’s definitely the most advantageous and comprehensive package available. I would be more down on it if I owned the 4 or 5 stand alone blu rays and a handful of the stand alone dvds Criterion has already released.

as my friend has been repeating for months now: wong kar when?
I would bet Q1 2021 or maybe even a surprise December drop in time for Xmas but that seems like it would be too close to the Fellini box. I would bet Covid has pushed their schedule a little bit?

I watched The Prestige last night.

This movie blew me away. Christopher Nolan was able to keep me on the edge of my seat which is rare these days. Hugh Jackman and Christain Bale do a great job and David Bowie as Nikola Tesla was perfect. Spoiler ramble below but watch the movie please!!!

Jackmans characters obsession towards knowing "The Transported Man" becomes so comical. The rivalry between Bale and Jackmans characters becomes so ridiculous that it reminds me of a spy vs spy cartoon.

Also, of course the trick would of been done by two people. Micheal Caine even calls it out but we start believing Jackman that it has to be more then that. It is too simple to be two people. But two brothers? So commited to the act that one brother cuts off fingers to match the other. They both go see the chinese magician, who Bale says is acting like a fragile old man. Of course Bale would know about someone commited to an act because he is doing the SAME THING!!

The kid in the beginning knowing the "brother" of the bird died reflecting what would happen to the brothers, the wife knowing when he meant when he said i love you because its two brothers,Bale Brother and his wife getting hung, Jackman and his wife drowning, the field of bulbs hinting the clones(this is my stretch), A CLONING MACHINE!!

I could talk about this movie all day, it is an amazing narrative, Best Nolan film. Im still shook by it.

I watched The Prestige last night.

This movie blew me away. Christopher Nolan was able to keep me on the edge of my seat which is rare these days. Hugh Jackman and Christain Bale do a great job and David Bowie as Nikola Tesla was perfect. Spoiler ramble below but watch the movie please!!!

Jackmans characters obsession towards knowing "The Transported Man" becomes so comical. The rivalry between Bale and Jackmans characters becomes so ridiculous that it reminds me of a spy vs spy cartoon.

Also, of course the trick would of been done by two people. Micheal Caine even calls it out but we start believing Jackman that it has to be more then that. It is too simple to be two people. But two brothers? So commited to the act that one brother cuts off fingers to match the other. They both go see the chinese magician, who Bale says is acting like a fragile old man. Of course Bale would know about someone commited to an act because he is doing the SAME THING!!

The kid in the beginning knowing the "brother" of the bird died reflecting what would happen to the brothers, the wife knowing when he meant when he said i love you because its two brothers,Bale Brother and his wife getting hung, Jackman and his wife drowning, the field of bulbs hinting the clones(this is my stretch), A CLONING MACHINE!!

I could talk about this movie all day, it is an amazing narrative, Best Nolan film. Im still shook by it.

I think it's still my favorite Nolan. It holds up unbelievably well on rewatch, and I've only come to appreciate it more over time.

for those of you with 4k players, target has on clearance some of their disney 4k/combo exclusives for 70% off. i've picked up the animated aladdin, little mermaid, incredibles 2, and captain marvel, and i've seen labels but empty shelves for avengers endgame, live action dumbo, and sleeping beauty. cost per set was either $8.38 or $10.48. look for a yellow sticker on the shelf instead of the usual white.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is on Shudder tonight with their #Summersleepover special.

I'm not sure what the 2 movies are gonna be, but I'll update this post.

Whoa, I remember him from the TBS (or was it TNT?) days. Good to know he’s still hanging around

Shudder brought him back a few years ago for a special 24+ hour marathon...then expanded to a weekly show.

I used to watch his show Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater on The Movie Channel when I was a kid. I watched him some on his Monstervision show, but didn't really like that everything was edited for TV.

When he had his The Movie Channel show he showed horror and soft core flicks. As a 13 year old, this was my wheelhouse.

Back